“Best vacation I've ever had...nuff said!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Tamarindo Beach, Tamarindo 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
travelinman00
“Best vacation I've ever had...nuff said!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

Okay maybe I need to elaborate a little. To say that I highly value the 7-10 consecutive days of personal/professional freedom afforded to me each year would probably be the understatement of the century. In order for me to live up to the adage "work hard, play hard" those 10 days really have to be special if I am going to offset the 300+ days out of the year that I am working hard!

Webster defines vacation as "a respite or a time of respite from something; a period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation." I tend to characterize it a little differently: Vacation (n) a respite from our everyday lives to a location whose unparalleled physical beauty conduces a state of mind through which all personal responsibility is left behind, all communication lost, and all passwords forgotten; essential for the complete revitalization of body and soul.

This past March I spent a week at Tamarindo Diria with a group of friends and it was honestly the best vacation experience of my life. The resort was highly recommended to me by a close family friend and after doing some research online I was sold. Costa Rica had also been at the top of my list of travel destinations and unsurprisingly it is now at the top of my list of travel destinations to experience again. The accommodations were great, the staff was friendly and attentive, and the atmosphere was very laid back and relaxing. If you’re an active person the resort is right in the middle of the action. If you surf or you’d like to learn, there is a consistent break directly in front of the resort. If you want some waves all to yourself it’s a just short walk down the beach and across the estuary to 5-6 additional breaks off the Playa Grande. I’m a surfer and I was blown away by how many world class surf breaks there on the Nicoya Peninsula just a short drive from the hotel.

After spending the first half of each day wearing myself, my afternoons were all about relaxation and the resort has plenty of outlets. The ocean side of the resort has a beautiful white sand beach and above it is a huge private lawn/patio that backs up to the pool. The grass is strewn with pool chairs and recliners and there are plenty of palm tress so you have your choice of shade or sun. Best of all the resort has a full time masseuse with a table setup in the shade and there were also a couple locals offering massages on the beach. I treated myself 4 out of the 7 days I was down there! After a nice long nap I generally spent a couple hours parked at the pool bar for some cocktails before dinner. The ocean side of the resort has everything you could ever want and more. But just for the sake of argument let’s say you weren’t totally satisfied with the beach, lawn, pool, and bar on the ocean. Well, across the street the resort has another pool with a swim up bar and sound stage overlooking it. My buddies and I had lunch at the swim up bar a couple times during the trip. The off ocean pool area is very private and was definitely less frequented than the popular beach side area – perfect for napping, reading, or having a little QT with a loved one.

While I stand by my original statement that the Tamarindo Diria was “the best vacation I’ve ever had…nuff said,” I hope the details I provided help out. I’ve already booked a flight to return in October for a long weekend to try and catch the tail end of the rainy season and hopefully some big surf...had to tell the guys at work I had a mandatory family wedding to attend!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

From the moment we checked into El Diria, we felt like cared-for guests. The staff at the front desk was informative and capable of fielding all of our questions. Our rooms were great! They were clean, they had snacks, ceiling fans, small balconies, large mirrors, air conditioning, and we had 3 adults sleep in one room with two queen sized beds very comfortably. El Diria is, hands-down, the nicest hotel in Tamarindo. The resort is split into two locations - the beach side has a pool, lounge chairs, the main bar and the main restaurants & then across the street is what we referred to as the lagoon side. It had a large wade-in pool with fountains and bridges, a swim-up tiki bar (for lunch and drinks), and comdominiums and additional rooms surrounded this second area. The beach and lagoon sections were both extremely pleasant, different areas to hang out - it was really nice to have the option. The thing that I liked the best about El Diria was breakfast. It was served until 10:00, the fruit was amazingly fresh, and they had a woman taking egg orders on the grill. It was simple, satisfying and the perfect way to start my day. To be honest, I can't think of anything that I didn't like about my trip. The activities - zip line canopy tour and a river excursion - were amazing, easily organized through the hotel activities desk and I had the best time! I would highly recommend staying at El Diria if you choose to go to Tamarindo. I would go back in a heart beat!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
tampa, fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

Fantastic value, and great location! Rooms were very clean, property was beautifully landscaped, and the beach was quiet compared to others in the area. We had a beautiful view from our room (small pool and beach). Our room was a bit on the noisy side at night, but not quite "party" level.. just traffic.. but that also meant we were able to walk to great restaurants and activities. There's a great activity concierge/booking service just up the street- we had bad luck with the hotel-- they couldn't get us into a rafting trip on short notice, but the guy up the street with the dog did. Every person we met was incredibly friendly and the food in Tamarindo was first rate-- didn't have a bad restaurant in the lot. Ate breakfast at the hotel, but never got to try dinner or lunch. We were out doing stuff the whole time and ate at different local places.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Wiesbaden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

We stayed at the Diria for an entire weeks and we loved it! The location is perfect. Right in town, conviniently located close to shops and restaurants but yet right on the beautiful beach of Tamarindo. The staff was very friendly and welcoming and we loved the restaurant located a footstep away from the the ocean. The free large breakfast buffet was the perfect way to start our day.
We will come back!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

By far the swankiest hotel on the strip, this centrally located hotel is, if nothing else, convenient.

We would not have stayed here, but we were able to book a last minute cheap deal on an ocean front room about a week before. Even with the discount and deal, the place was over-priced.

The best thing about the place is the breakfast buffet, and the central beach location.

More of a place for families; less of a place for do-it-yourself-ers, backpackers, or surfers.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
SF, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

If you don't need the nice pools and buffet breakfast, save your cash. But it sure was convenient with our 2 year old toddler to have breakfast on demand at 600 AM when we awoke everyday for our 6 night stay at hotel. Also to have a well maintained kiddie pool that was comfortable from 6AM to 8PM, and a direct view of the beach, less than a minute from our room. Its hard to put a price on the convenience.
As I prior backpacker, I would have laughed at the people staying here, and been secretly a bit jealous of the faux luxury. But now as a family tourist, If I went back to Tamarindo the cute little beach town it is, I would stay at their only resort. I already forgot how much I spent there, but I'll never forget the convenience of Diria.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Sacramento, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

At first, we were so happy to find this hotel. Great location, a fabulous internet booking deal of $50/food each day, a tour desk, great beach and a free breakfast buffet.

HOWEVER, when we went to check out we got completely F-ed on the internet booking special of $50/food. The said they didnt have a special like that, even though its on their web site and we had asked TWICE upon our arrival and were told yes we would get that special.

They also tried to charge us for the "free" breakfast and jacked up our room price. Our bill was $900 for two nights when it should have been about $250. We were pissed! We talked the front desk girl into taking the breakfast off the tab, and honoring the room rate, but could not get her to honor the internet booking $50/food. So, we ending up paying but she refused to provide a receipt. I was also SHOCKED to find a $138 charge on my credit card when I got home. They said it was for the first night I stayed there, but I has already paid!!

You might be ok if you pay in cash only and don't charge anything, food, minibar, tours, etc to the room but I still think it is risky.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort? Share your experiences!