“Great Beach, Nice Folks” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Tamarindo Beach, Tamarindo 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great Beach, Nice Folks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Paid extra for an ocean view room. At this hotel, it's worth it. Right on the beach. Stepped out of my room and could enjoy the view and sounds of the surf. Nice gardens and pool. Hotel workers very friendly and helpful. The Italian/Pizza place attached to the front of this hotel was really terrific. The room itself was not spectacular. Clean, but small with a few more insects than I like in a hotel room. Ground floor room had a nice little patio area.

Room Tip: Ocean view more expensive, but WORTH it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Did not stay at the hotel but the area where the beach restaurant is great for happy hour and appetizers while you watch surf lessons and the sun going down. Really lovely. We spent a few hours just watching people surf,,,,

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Long Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

After leaving our first hotel, which was very disappointing, we checked into the Diria and was so happy that we did. We had a nice room facing the ocean/beach and everything was great.
The pool was nice, the restaurant was very good and service was also good. We had a choice of pool, ocean, and a nice grassy area to lay around. The room included a great buffet breakfast which had so much good food. The price was a little high, but you get what you pay for.
Would come back again, and recommend this hotel to anyone going to Tamarindo.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sao Leopoldo, RS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I reserved one night at Tamarindo Diria well in advance from my arrival. When the day of the check-in came, and I showed up at the reception desk, not only was my room not ready, but the staff made me wait for almost an hour to get into the room. When I spoke to the attendant, he said that my room had been changed, that it had been "upgraded" and so that I had to wait a little. That little turned into almost an hour and I was able to get into the room only because I requested to speak to the reservations manager and because I "raised my concerns", so to speak, in front of the other customers. At the end, I was given the room I had originally reserved, that means no upgrade, only a headache. The staff's response to this situation was not very professional. They front staff did not even want me to speak to the manager about it and the manager tried to keep on delaying my access to the room by offering crap I did not want. To me, service is everything, so I give this hotel a zero, not only because it was a problem they created themselves, but also because their management skills were pretty darn bad. As for the rest of the hotel, I know for certain that the installations are pretty decent. My room was clean and well-furnished. One thing I also found to be lacking is that everyone seemed to insist in speaking Spanish, even though I spoke English from the beginning. Breakfast is good. In general, this hotel did not offer anything beyond the average things that are expected from a place that is rated with four stars. I'd actually say that it could be placed at the three star level.

Room Tip: Ask to be given a room in the newly constructed area, across the street from the main building. The...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

When I was coming to Costa Rica, I was a little worried about the security from what I had heard, but when I arrived, I was amazed at how safe everything was here at the hotel and condo's. The Condo's are very large, very clean and offers large decks over looking the pool area. There are several pools and a couple hot tubs. There is even a Cabana at the main pool during the US summer. The hotel/condo's are very close to all of the best restaurants and lots of shopping. Its a must stay place. The prices are wonderful and more importantly the safest hotel in the area with guards at many of the gates, and a need for a scan card to get into the gates. The perfect hotel!

Room Tip: The rooms in the hotel seem a little small, but if you go for the condo's most of them have 2 be...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My husband and I travelled to this hotel in December 2013 during a one week trip to Costa Rica. This hotel is the main large hotel in Tamarindo. It's located on the main road in the centre of town - great location. I highly recommend paying a bit extra for the Oceanview Room. We didn't book it originally and the rooms that aren't Oceanview have no balcony/patio. There was a sliding glass door but it only opened a few inches. We were able to upgrade to the Oceanview which was well worth the extra $50 or so a night. Breakfast was included which was nice - we didn't eat dinner at the hotel as we wandered a long the beach to find somewhere to eat each night. There is another section to this hotel across the street with a very large pool and swim up bar. There is only a small pool on the side with the beach. We're more beach people so spent most of our time there but the pool would be good for kids etc. The staff at the hotel were quite helpful - particularly the bellhop. Our mini bus was late picking us up to go to the airport - this was a bit stressful as you can imagine. The bellhop continually came back to check on us and then offered to call the company that we had booked the transportation with. It was really above and beyond service since the hotel had nothing to do with the transportation we had booked.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Stayed here with family July 4-13. Room 704. The resort has two part with large family pool on the garden view side across the street with a jacuzzi. There are no frills here except for free wifi and breakfast, which we did not eat. There were too many flies on the food... This was very disgusting and unsanitary. The waffles and pancakes were also very bad. The bartenders apparently have never had any formal training. Not only were the cocktails terrible but they all make the same drink differently. The hotel room was comfortable but the bed and pillows were extremely hard; too hard for my liking. We ate at the Nari their pizza restaurant which was not bad at all. We ate most times at the Soda's...that's where you will find the best local food and cheap. The service at breakfast was really terrible. These employees are lazy and non attentive. I say this with the exception of 3 male employees; Manuel, another guy who is extremely slim with curly hair and another guy.. All the girls did were gossip, gossip and gossip while the guys paid attention to the patrons. Just a suggestion to the hotel management: Put The Girls To Shoo The Flies...
Overall hotel was comfortable and in a great location but for health reason stay away from the breakfast, unless you are having the omelette and hot foods since these were covered.

Room Tip: Sun block is very very expensive please take lots with you. $15-$20 US for small tube. Also take lot...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort? Share your experiences!