“No second chance here!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
Hendersonville, Tennessee
“No second chance here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Great beach view! Rooms small but adequate on the beach front balcony location. NEVER had hot water during our stay. Spoke to a man down from our room who said he had been there three weeks and also NEVER had hot water. Breakfast buffet was very nice and complimentary coffee before buffet service began. Marcia, at front desk, was not a happy camper and the hotel would do well to replace her with a customer service oriented person.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We chose the Diria because it was right on the beach and they gave us a good walk up rate for an ocean view room. The included breakfast buffet was the most complete we had on our trip. The room had a couple minor issues such as a leak in the shower. But the service was great all around. We were able to rent a surf board a few doors down for two days and the hotel stored it for us at no charge. Rooms had wifi which we are always looking for as we tend to book along the way. We were right in town and able to enjoy the atmmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room, I'd suggest the new wing.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose Del Cabo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I just received an email that my room guaranteed by a credit card for 12/26 now has to be paid by a wire transfer. What year is this???? Crazy practice and makes me question this establishment. The whole reservation process has been a hassle. I understand there are very few great hotels on the beach- but this seems very shady.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aliso Viejo, California, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

The property has character, the grounds are well maintained, but the people; the employees are so miserable, unwelcoming and clearly not service oriented that it detracts from what could be a wonderful stay. Upon arrival, the Front Desk Manager, Marcia greeted us in a very brusque manner. The lack of warmth at this first point seemed to travel through to the wait staff in the restaurant. Of note, would be the Bellman, Bernie who was helpful, gracious and of great assistance. What a stark difference to the bartender who demanded that the tip be left in cash as it would be better for him.

The rooms are spacious, but the beds were hard and bare. The Classic room fronts the street and has an empty space where the mini bar should be. Apparently this standard of room is undeserving of such a piece of equipment and clearly, if there is no minibar there is no need either for a hair dryer!!! Seriously! Perhaps it is just these items walk as there was also very tight controls on the beach towels as well.

The breakfast buffet was ample with cereal, yogurt, fruit, cheese, bread, eggs/omelets, plantains, pancakes or waffles (alternates), rice, tomato slices, juice and coffee.

There appears to be only one other large scale operation in town and as Diria is on the beach, it becomes the first choice for many. it really is not that bad as long as you are not expecting a warm, friendly welcome or great service. The employees either hate working there or they were all having a really bad week.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my 2 teenage children in August 2013. We had a great experience! The room was large and we had a balcony with Ocean views. It was quiet, and lovely. The buffet breakfast was good, with a great variety of foods. The waiters are a bit slow. The beach has smooth sand, and the views are beautiful! The sunsets from the beach were so colorful with pink and blue colors!! We were surprised to find warm ocean water as it was their "winter". It only rained one day. The [big] resort pool on the non-beach side is amazing - huge - and a must see! There are big Iguanas in the trees ...one was on the pool bar and plopped into the pool right where we were standing watching it [!!!], it swam to the middle island like it probably does every day...Both cool and frightening for us, but a great memory. The little town is right outside the hotel gate. It felt safe, though I wouldn't want my 19 year old daughter to walk alone...too many Costa Rican men told me how beautiful she is...
The hotel is very safe with guards at the entrances'. You receive a strap bracelet when you check-in and you are to wear it for your entire stay. We saw the guard question someone who walked in from the beach with no bracelet, so they are on the lookout for non guests.
My husband had to work and missed a fabulous trip; I felt safe traveling there without him.

Room Tip: Beach side with view. Level 1 or 2 as there is no elevator. *** It is important to remember REVIEWS...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Panama City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed at the Diria for two nights and it was PERFECT! The location was perfect and within walking distance to everything that Tamarindo had to offer. My husband enjoyed getting up in the morning and being able to walk directly from our room to the beach to catch amazing waves and I enjoyed being able to sit our balcony to watch him. The room was gorgeous and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was great with a HUGE shower. We ate at the Flying Bull one evening and it was amazing. Everyone at the resort was very friendly and accommodating. We loved this resort and will return in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is a beautiful property beachfront on Tamarindo Beach --- and the booking was done in the height of 'slow season', the hotel website is offering attractive discounts while businesses all around them are closing for the slowest and wettest month coming up.

I booked a Standard/Patio View Room with One KIng Bed for a very attractive $116 plus taxes - and was quite puzzled why I ended up in the room I did --- I stopped to confirm I was in the room intended for my booking, and showed front desk staff my confirmation via the hotel website. I got an answer that because I was 'only here for one night' they had put me into Room 134 -- puzzled. And that they would switch me if I wanted - puzzled even more. Why didn't I end up with the room I booked in the first place.... I explained that I would be doing a review and that my slant was as a mature, solo female traveler (old lady...) and I was NOT trying to make trouble, but if my room was 'Patio View' that I was really disappointed in the patio....the room is basic, there is a king bed and television, basic no-name amenities (blue shampoo scares me) but no mini-fridge or coffee maker or tea kettle - I hate looking for coffee before I'm dressed in the morning, and it's puzzling that a resort didn't have this amenity - and I could probably arrange for room service, but I cannot find a menu in the room.

The resort is owner of much commercial property around the the hotel (casino, etc - and apparently Patio View rooms are across the street?? more puzzlement). There is plenty to do and good food choices and options.

My advice -- do not give these people a credit card until you've looked at the room. I can't imagine what kind of wiggle words they would have if they were near... but it's disappointing that they feel they can do this. I will be sending a similar recommendation to journeywoman - a website dedicated to solo female travel. This is not a threat, I advised hotel staff that I would be posting a review and got offers to move -- no thanks, give me what I paid for and what I booked right out of the gate. Anything else is dishonest.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort? Share your experiences!