“location, location, location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Seattle, Washington
“location, location, location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We chose the Diria because it was right on the beach and they gave us a good walk up rate for an ocean view room. The included breakfast buffet was the most complete we had on our trip. The room had a couple minor issues such as a leak in the shower. But the service was great all around. We were able to rent a surf board a few doors down for two days and the hotel stored it for us at no charge. Rooms had wifi which we are always looking for as we tend to book along the way. We were right in town and able to enjoy the atmmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room, I'd suggest the new wing.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I just received an email that my room guaranteed by a credit card for 12/26 now has to be paid by a wire transfer. What year is this???? Crazy practice and makes me question this establishment. The whole reservation process has been a hassle. I understand there are very few great hotels on the beach- but this seems very shady.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Macau, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

The property has character, the grounds are well maintained, but the people; the employees are so miserable, unwelcoming and clearly not service oriented that it detracts from what could be a wonderful stay. Upon arrival, the Front Desk Manager, Marcia greeted us in a very brusque manner. The lack of warmth at this first point seemed to travel through to the wait staff in the restaurant. Of note, would be the Bellman, Bernie who was helpful, gracious and of great assistance. What a stark difference to the bartender who demanded that the tip be left in cash as it would be better for him.

The rooms are spacious, but the beds were hard and bare. The Classic room fronts the street and has an empty space where the mini bar should be. Apparently this standard of room is undeserving of such a piece of equipment and clearly, if there is no minibar there is no need either for a hair dryer!!! Seriously! Perhaps it is just these items walk as there was also very tight controls on the beach towels as well.

The breakfast buffet was ample with cereal, yogurt, fruit, cheese, bread, eggs/omelets, plantains, pancakes or waffles (alternates), rice, tomato slices, juice and coffee.

There appears to be only one other large scale operation in town and as Diria is on the beach, it becomes the first choice for many. it really is not that bad as long as you are not expecting a warm, friendly welcome or great service. The employees either hate working there or they were all having a really bad week.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my 2 teenage children in August 2013. We had a great experience! The room was large and we had a balcony with Ocean views. It was quiet, and lovely. The buffet breakfast was good, with a great variety of foods. The waiters are a bit slow. The beach has smooth sand, and the views are beautiful! The sunsets from the beach were so colorful with pink and blue colors!! We were surprised to find warm ocean water as it was their "winter". It only rained one day. The [big] resort pool on the non-beach side is amazing - huge - and a must see! There are big Iguanas in the trees ...one was on the pool bar and plopped into the pool right where we were standing watching it [!!!], it swam to the middle island like it probably does every day...Both cool and frightening for us, but a great memory. The little town is right outside the hotel gate. It felt safe, though I wouldn't want my 19 year old daughter to walk alone...too many Costa Rican men told me how beautiful she is...
The hotel is very safe with guards at the entrances'. You receive a strap bracelet when you check-in and you are to wear it for your entire stay. We saw the guard question someone who walked in from the beach with no bracelet, so they are on the lookout for non guests.
My husband had to work and missed a fabulous trip; I felt safe traveling there without him.

Room Tip: Beach side with view. Level 1 or 2 as there is no elevator. *** It is important to remember REVIEWS...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Panama City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed at the Diria for two nights and it was PERFECT! The location was perfect and within walking distance to everything that Tamarindo had to offer. My husband enjoyed getting up in the morning and being able to walk directly from our room to the beach to catch amazing waves and I enjoyed being able to sit our balcony to watch him. The room was gorgeous and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was great with a HUGE shower. We ate at the Flying Bull one evening and it was amazing. Everyone at the resort was very friendly and accommodating. We loved this resort and will return in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is a beautiful property beachfront on Tamarindo Beach --- and the booking was done in the height of 'slow season', the hotel website is offering attractive discounts while businesses all around them are closing for the slowest and wettest month coming up.

I booked a Standard/Patio View Room with One KIng Bed for a very attractive $116 plus taxes - and was quite puzzled why I ended up in the room I did --- I stopped to confirm I was in the room intended for my booking, and showed front desk staff my confirmation via the hotel website. I got an answer that because I was 'only here for one night' they had put me into Room 134 -- puzzled. And that they would switch me if I wanted - puzzled even more. Why didn't I end up with the room I booked in the first place.... I explained that I would be doing a review and that my slant was as a mature, solo female traveler (old lady...) and I was NOT trying to make trouble, but if my room was 'Patio View' that I was really disappointed in the patio....the room is basic, there is a king bed and television, basic no-name amenities (blue shampoo scares me) but no mini-fridge or coffee maker or tea kettle - I hate looking for coffee before I'm dressed in the morning, and it's puzzling that a resort didn't have this amenity - and I could probably arrange for room service, but I cannot find a menu in the room.

The resort is owner of much commercial property around the the hotel (casino, etc - and apparently Patio View rooms are across the street?? more puzzlement). There is plenty to do and good food choices and options.

My advice -- do not give these people a credit card until you've looked at the room. I can't imagine what kind of wiggle words they would have if they were near... but it's disappointing that they feel they can do this. I will be sending a similar recommendation to journeywoman - a website dedicated to solo female travel. This is not a threat, I advised hotel staff that I would be posting a review and got offers to move -- no thanks, give me what I paid for and what I booked right out of the gate. Anything else is dishonest.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We got married at the Tamarindo Diria in Costa Rica on March 2, 2013. Below are some of the highlights. We hope this is helpful for those trying to decide on the Diria as a wedding venue.

The hotel
- Three pools, two with swim up pool bars, which was a prerequisite for my husband. One has a tropical feel and the other is very chic and lounge like. If you are staying multiple days it is almost like having a completely different experience in one resort.
- Nice, clean rooms – we were in room 200, which is an ocean premium room and is slightly in front of the other rooms on the 2nd level. This was nice and made us feel like we had some privacy. Also, we could see the bar and pool from our room so we were able to find people relatively easily.
- We have stayed in every room type at the Tamarindo Diria (except for the classic) and they were all great. I don’t think you can go wrong here.
- Good breakfast
- Location was important to us. We wanted to be on the beach, but we also wanted our guests to have a lot of options for restaurants, bars, activities, etc. This resort had everything we were looking for.

The service
- A small group went fishing on one of the days and the chef prepared 18 fish for our group. Not only did they cook one of our best meals we had in Costa Rica, but they also decorated the tables just for our group. It was such a special touch.
- Since we were there for 10 days, the staff got to know us fairly well and were constantly checking in to make sure we were ok.
- I did have a few guests complain that the bartenders at the pool bar were a little slow, but I never experienced that problem.

The Wedding (Welcome party, rehearsal dinner, reception)
- Welcome party – We had an informal meet and greet at the beach bar. Wanted to provide some light snacks so we asked for one long table to put a few pizzas (from their restaurant) and ceviche shooters. When we arrived, they had a cute chalkboard sign saying our names and they even set-up a few tables where our guests could sit. And by set-up I mean nice tablecloths, glassware, stemware, etc. This was above and beyond what we anticipated.
- The rehearsal dinner was even more impressive. We had an authentic Costa Rican buffet that consisted of enough food to feed the entire resort – our guests continued to say how delicious everything tasted. The tables, food and bar were decorated beautifully and it was well organized making it easy to navigate. Even though we shared the restaurant with other guests, our area was blocked off so we felt like there was some privacy.
- We ended the night with a fire show on the beach. The hotel was nice enough to provide towels on the beach so we had something to sit on.
- Day of wedding – we hired Samantha Kohn as our private wedding coordinator, and she worked closely with Eunice (the onsite Tamarindo Diria wedding coordinator). Between the two of them, our wedding was flawless. We got married on grass to the left of the beach bar. This location was a lot quieter compared to the right side where people were still swimming. It is also adjacent to a brick floor area that we used for the cocktail party.
- Dinner was in a small area overlooking the tropical pool. It is outside with fans to keep you cool and has its own bar. They also decorate the dance floor with twinkle lights giving it a very romantic feel.

I would highly recommend the Tamarindo Diria as destination wedding venue in Costa Rica.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarindo
Cala Luna Boutique Hotel & Villas
Hotel Arco Iris
Hotel Arco Iris
#5 of 21 in Tamarindo
4.5 of 5 stars 432 reviews

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort? Share your experiences!