“Beautiful Grounds” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful Grounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This resort has gorgeous grounds, beautiful pools and great rooms! The resort is right in the heart of downtown Tamarindo which makes it easy to walk "the strip." The hotel has property on the beach (the restaurant, a pool, some rooms) and then on the other side of the street their large and beautiful pools and more rooms. The rooms were very clean, looked very new and updated. I would highly recommend staying here! I did not see any other resorts within the main downtown area and this was right in the heart of everything.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

First if all, I would like to say that I am prefacing this review as someone originally from a Caribbean country so I understand standards are different around the world; however I consider myself well travelled. We LOVED Costa Rica but were the most disappointed by this hotel. The hotel is in much need of a face lift- it looks like it needs to be reprinted and the decor is definitely not typical for a 4-star hotel. The beach towels were an issue EVERY day of our four night stay. We encountered other guests who had the same experience- the lady at the front desk kept telling us to come back in 30 minutes- we would come back in an hour or so and she would then say she couldn't tell us why the towels were still not ready. Very frustrating. The food at the restaurants was beyond slow. Food was fair but nothing special. The poor cleaning lady looked overworked and bless her heart she kept taking the towels from our rooms. Towels are hard to come by here! Beach was lovely and the most attractive thing about the hotel was the location- proximity to the beach was a plus. My kids are competitive tennis players so we brought our rackets. There is one court, but it's quite a hike in a very unappealing part of the complex- there is no walkway taking you there and on e you arrive you are met with a large padlock nobody told us about when we arrived asking about the court. The larger pool in the complex on the other side of the street looked like it COULD have been beautiful but was not well kept up. There is a bar area that was advertised that looked cool but there was never ever anyone there during the day or evening. The complex looked very poorly occupied yet they placed us all the way in the back of the hotel across the street. We met some other guests who told us they had the same experience but the hotel was only 30% occupied. The lady at the front desk stated we needed to pay for an upgrade to get to the hotel rooms closer to the beach. I would clarify that if you book this hotel. I'm not sure else where to stay in Tamarindo that would be better but just beware of what you are paying for and you will not be disappointed. Despite our disappointment in this hotel it did not adversely affect our time in this lovely city. The people are warm and friendly. The staff are not uncaring, they are just untrained. Relax if you stay here- everything is "Pura Vida" in Costa Rica!

• Stayed June 2013
Corona del Mar, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Highly recommend this Resort. We stayed on the Ocean sude of resort. Excellent service, great food, right on the beach, air conditioning and center of town! No need for a car :) The resort also includes a complimentary breakfast with fresh local fruit, local cuisine, as well as all of the classics with egg station, pancakes, waffles, pastries, cereal, yogurt, cheeses and so much more. Can't wait to go again!
The pool is beautiful but we only spent a few hours there as there is so much to do and you are on the beach.

Room Tip: Request to Stay on the Ocean Side of resort
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hotel was very nice and part of a large resort complex. We were there for one night and the service was fine. Enjoyed the bus boy who checked us in who taught us some Spanish and we taught him some English. The food was okay, although we had much better later in our trip. If you like the resort scene, this would be a great one with lots to do, nice beaches, different restaurants and lots of shopping near by.

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I had our wedding here in early June 2013 along with 40 of our friends and family. All 42 of us stayed at this hotel and everyone had an amazing week. The rooms were clean, and in the majority of the rooms the AC worked very well. For the two rooms that had issues, the staff was more than accommodating by helping those individuals switch rooms and also gave them complimentary dinner/drinks at one of their restaurants for the hassle. We stayed in the "tropical poolside" rooms which are across the street from the beach, but it was less than a 2 minute walk to the pool/beach so would definitely stay over there again to save the money. However, the ocean view rooms have incredible views of the sunsets, and they are also more convenient to run back and forth to the rooms for food/drinks/etc.

The grounds of the hotel are spectacular, and there are plenty of chairs on the grassy area right in front of the beach that only people staying at the hotel can use. We always felt safe during our stay, whether it was leaving valuables in the room, walking around the hotel grounds/beach at night, or leaving our stuff on the chairs while we swam in the ocean or pool. The hotel is also really convenient to any bar or restaurant in Tamarindo, and you can walk anywhere within 15 minutes.

In regards to the wedding, Eunice did an amazing job planning everything for us. We completed all planning via email with Eunice, and trusted her to take care of the majority of the details. From start to finish we literally couldn't have asked for anything better. The ceremony was held on the grass overlooking the beach, followed by a cocktail hour held nearby, then the reception was across the street near the pool in the Mixcoa restaurant. The food was absolutely delicious!! If you are thinking of getting married at the Diria, I can't say enough good things about Eunice and the hotel. We are more than happy to answer wedding-related questions, and Eunice has all of our contact info.

The service at the beach bar is a little slow as other reviewers have mentioned, but it was the slow season in Costa Rica after all. I wouldn't read into the bad reviews on here too much as we came across some "typical" US tourists during our stay here who were complaining about every little thing, and one lady even said "I wish people would speak better English around here" while yelling at the front desk. If you only want to speak English, do the rest of us a favor and stay in the US.

Room Tip: Tropical poolside rooms are slightly larger, but the ocean view rooms are more convenient and have a...
Stamford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Where do I begin? This hotel categorizes itself as a 4 star hotel. I think that is wishful thinking. I will try to be objective here in this review since I am still a bit bothered by the service and treatment of this place.

First at arrival, they point out some restaurants where to eat and give you $20 match up dollars for the casino. Basically, the guy that owns the hotel, owns the whole block and they want you to spend your money on them. TIP: if you decide to go and eat at these places, make sure you bring plenty of colones. DON'T PAY IN DOLLARS. why? Because if you give them a large bill (like $50 or even a $20) they will give you colones back.

The Room: When we arrived the room was just being cleaned (we had the room facing the beach). The guy opened the door and the cleaning lady was mopping the floor. For the price and the hotel category the room was tiny. We could barely fit our two suit cases. The bathroom had a constant smell of sewage that was unbearable. when we complained the kid that did plumbing told us that they usually put some deodorizer in order to mask it. IT DOESN'T WORK. every time we flushed the toilet or showered, a very strong smell of sewage crept through the shower drainage. It was terrible and disgusting to shower. I wore flip flops the whole time.

The room was cleaned daily whenever the cleaning lady had time to do it because they work very slow and only had one person cleaning a whole building. It was ridiculous. This same lady forgot to put fresh towels, every single day. One day, we went to the front desk to complaint because we were just too annoyed at the lack of proper process. They told us that they had laundry issues and they couldn't give us towels. We asked for the supervisor and they told us that she wasn't available and wouldn't come in the whole week. Next thing you know, she's right behind us asking for some paperwork. We complained about the towels and all she could say was: "sorry we have a laundry problem" so I asked her, "so what is the back up plan?" and she just said "good point". She had no clue what to say and proceeded to give us beach towels....sigh....
The room was full of mosquitoes (I stopped counting the bites) and flies. and every night we woke up with loud noises of something scratching the walls and ceilings. It was so consistent and loud that a couple next to us stopped us and asked us if we heard the very same loud scratching noises on the ceiling and walls they heard every night. It was terrible.

The Service: Terrible. This place is grossly understaffed. The same guy that works the bar and restaurant in the hotel is the same guy that works the restaurants outside the hotels. It was terrible. One day, we went to eat at their "local food" restaurant for dinner and we were shocked to see the same guy that we saw at the bar in the hotel during lunch. He had NO CLUE what the menu had to offer, we asked him about (granted we are Hispanic also, so we spoke in Spanish the whole time) something being offered on the menu and he told us: "I have no idea, they put me to work here. I usually work the bar". It was a shame.

The management doesn't train the staff well either. The garbage is dumped besides the bar which attracts tons of flies and it gets all over the food. The guy at the bar handed me a spoon for my coffee after he picked it up from a counter, "washed" it with his bare hands and no soap and just put it on the place and handed it to me. it was nauseating. The "included" breakfast was the same every day. The fruit was just laying there with flies all over and the pastries where not fresh at all. Whatever people didn't eat the day before, was right back out there the day after with flies on it. I stuck to the eggs which were made right there and the pancakes which were covered. everything else was off limits.

The Establishment: nothing out of the ordinary. This place is not a 4 start hotel. We picked it because we saw it was right by the beach. Turns out its not that big of a deal. They are right by the beach but don't own the chairs on the sand outside the walls facing the beach. Those, you have to pay for. everything is a hustle past the gates facing the beach in this place. You have a gang of guys with terrible appearance in my opinion trying to get you to take surfing classes. Every single day they ask the same harassing questions as soon as people step out to the beach. One of them even asked me for pot (maybe because he thought I was also Hispanic it was cool to ask me something like that). I was outraged and told him that it was very inappropriate and if he kept it up, i was going to call the cops. Some of them got touchy feel with teenage girls while their parents looked away when they were giving "surfing" lessons. It was a shame to see. People don't realize how much stuff they talk about tourists to take advantage of them in Spanish. I listen to every bit and I was appalled at the fact that the hotel let these guys right on their gate. heck, the "security" guard at the gate on the beach side was their buddy. and they sometimes let these guys in the hotel grounds which I think is very unwise. Tourists may think they are the "surfer" locals but these guys are not your nice kid on the block. They are street hustlers who surf and like to take advantage of tourists. Especially the ones that don't speak Spanish.

What else....
. The lights went out in the hotel one night
. The bartenders tasted food, licked their hands and then served lemons to people.
. The hotel staff is not well trained and very, very slow (and I know it slow outside the U.S but this was just ridiculous).
. The cleanliness of the place is just sub par
. We once saw the owner scold employees in front of everyone at the pizza shop over a cake being upside down. The guy treats them terribly.

Summary: Save your money and you might as well pay less to stay near because the walk to the beach is not long at all. The area needs some infrastructure build up big time. This is basically a surfer town with the owner of the hotel owning every other restaurant around. If you go with family, please keep an eye on your kids because the guys at the beach who will harass you for surfing lessons will get touchy with your daughter when you're not looking. They will also yell at them as well when they don't follow direction. Oh and it doesn't matter what they tell you, they WILL steal stuff on that beach if you are not careful. We spoke with locals there and they told us, that's part of the reason they have so many police officers on the beach.

Costa Rica is a beautiful country but as far as Tamarindo and this hotel, it needs a lot of work and improvement and it can dampen your experience. Don't waste your money at this hotel.

Room Tip: Good room? maybe in front of the beach? but even then, it won't meet your expectations....
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We couldn't have had a more enjoyable experience! The staff at the hotel was amazing! Everyone was kind and went out of their way to help us (including providing us a free breakfast at 3am before we caught our flight home!)

Everything was really clean including the pools, rooms and dining area. Everyday we would lay out in front part of the hotel in front of the beach and we felt completely safe to leave our stuff as we went and jumped into the pool or ocean.

We had a ocean side room, which ended up being across the street from the main part of the hotel, but that worked out perfectly. Our room was clean and we had no bugs in our room all week.

We were at the hotel for a friend's wedding and it was the most beautiful wedding. The hotel did a great job with the set-up and flowers. Everything looked great and the food was delish! Even though it is rainy season during June, the rain would only come in a little each afternoon or night and not stay very long. It was actually refreshing as it cooled everything down.

Our overall experience was great and I couldn't be more happy! I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort? Share your experiences!