“Easily the posh spot in Tamarindo.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Tamarindo Beach, Tamarindo 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Tamarindo
“Easily the posh spot in Tamarindo.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful big resort and spa. Not much to say besides its the nicest hotel situated in central Tamarindo, right on the beach.

Only flaw is that it's too big and therefore, as a customer, special attention and care are not easily found. Although everyone is superbly nice, they are not always attentive to customers needs.

• Stayed November 2012

1,171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Greeley, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The combo of CR surf adventures and the Hotel Diria made for a great experience and the town of Tamarindo had thing to offer to all in dinning and fun things to do. We spent 8 days and 7 nights there and didn't do ever thing to do. just a note the tour desk will spend the time need for you to make the best of your time in Costa Rica. The sun sets are some of the best I seen any where.

Room Tip: sea side rooms or the codos are the best way to go
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Perfect location on a fantastic beach. Even when the tide is in there's plenty of firm, flat sand to walk on.

The coffee house was great for spending an afternoon reading and picking at coffee and cake. As others have said the breakfast buffet is comprehensive and of high quality.

The rooms are 'ok'. I guess I would rate them as a US 3 star. Good AC, internet, bathroom. The beds we ok, not bad, but not great.

Plenty of other eateries nearby if you want to try some variety. The toor desk was very helpfull and informative. Organised a great zip-line trip for us.

Room Tip: Shop for rooms on multiple sites and try last minute deals as well. We booked an ocean view room, bu...
northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nites as part of an escorted tour of Costa Rica (by Collette Vacations-excellent). We had rooms across the street from the beach which were very nice, well air conditioned, free wifi, small balcony overlooking the large pool. Beds were "firm" and so were the pillows-something we found through out CR. Pool was fabulous altho I never tried out the swim up bar :( It was a nice swim at nite too. Beach across the street was gorgeous, soft sand, warm water. The hotel has chairs just inside the property for guests (beach is public, hotel grounds are gurarded). Bfast buffet was ok. Ate in the beachfront restaurant one nite (on our own)--beautiful under huge old trees with stained glass lamps hanging from the branches and the ocean on the other side of the low wall. Unfortunately, the food didn't live up to the surroundings. We all ordered seafood of some sort, and 3 of 4 dishes were so overcooked as to have ruined the dishes. On the other hand, the sauces that came with them were super tasty. Service was lackluster. We did a sunset catamaran tour (that was arranged by our tour guide with a local company) that was lots of fun-open bar, snacks (incl grilled chicken, could have made it a lite dinner), snorkling and swim out to a deserted beach that was swarming with hermit crabs--way cool! (It was about a 10 minute walk down the beach to get to the catamaran.)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

The Diria is basically divided into two sections by the main drag in Tamarindo. The ocean side, or sunset rooms, gaze onto a beautiful setting - the manicured lawns and Pacific Ocean. (Except for the enormous pile of roofing tiles.) On the other side of the road are the Tropical poolside rooms which encircle a large pool with swim up bar.

The setting is beautiful, however, the noise is atrocious. In the sunset room we constantly heard traffic going by. The poolside room was even worse: a building is being constructed to the north, the Diria has been using buzz saws to do construction on their rooms and the pool plays club music non-stop - seemingly the same ten songs over and over. Apparently this is renovation season for the Diria. The building on the Ocean side is fairly run down - there are cracks and leaks everywhere - so I guess the renovation is warranted. If you want to rest and relax in quiet, definitely book some place else, maybe a little further away from the main drag.

The breakfast buffet was tasty and massive, the staff cordial. As for bugs - well, this is paradise. It's gonna happen. We booked several excursions through the hotel (using a Capitol One card to avoid foreign transaction fees.) they also exchange dollars for colones (when they have them) at the best rate - no fees.

The beds are hard as rocks, and the towels were super scratchy - but that's personal preference. I wouldn't stay here again. I'm surprised this is called a luxury resort - I think the standards for Tamarindo are on a different scale than back in the U.S.

• Stayed November 2012
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The best thing about this resort is it's location, only a few steps from the white sand beach of Tamarindo. We stayed here for 2 nights, and were pleased with the location, rooms, friendly staff, and food.

Recommendations:
1) Surf lessons! I'd never surfed before, and the brother-sister duo who took us out were fantastic! They were clear in their instruction, and supportive during our practice time in the waves. I'd suggest even 2 lessons, if you're a newbie like me. It takes lots of practice, but the effort is worth it when you catch that first wave.
2) Explore the pools! There are various pools on the property, make sure you wander across the Boulevard to the bigger pool (with swim-up bar).
3) Book some activities! We took an afternoon to go ATVing to Playa Negra (with http://www.tamarindoaventuras.com/), and came across tons of wildlife along the way (including a tree full of monkeys!). We also spent an afternoon sailing on a catamaran, which included open bar, delicious lunch, and plenty of swimming/snorkeling time.
4) Venture out of the hotel to eat! I'd recommend 2 places to eat nearby the hotel, the first one is Joe's (http://witchsrocksurfcamp.com/eat-at-joes/), where they have a famous sign advertising their "Nachos as big as your a-s-s" so delicious! The second is further down the beach (if you walk out of the resort towards the ocean, go left along the beach). The restaurant looks like its owned by Canadians, given the number of Canadian flags and city license plates pinned to the trees around the restaurant. I can't remember the name, but the tables are right on the sand, and they have great pico de gallo!

I also have to mention that the resort was doing minor construction on some rooms during our stay, so we woke up to banging/hammering one morning. It didn't bother us too much though, who wants to sleep in when the ocean is calling!!

Room Tip: Stay away from the side of the resort that is next door to The Beach Club. On Saturday night the mus...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is a hard hotel to rate. Lots of positives but multiple negatives as well. If I could have given 3.5 dots I would have. But, I just can’t justify 4 dots under the circumstances and thus the 3 dots is all I can give.

The positives: Our room was across the street from the ocean and was nice with a balcony overlooking the large pool. Free wifi came with the room. When we first got there, we saw one of the workers delivering a small refrigerator to another room on our floor so we asked if we could have a fridge as well. He happily delivered us a nice little fridge for the room. We used it for sodas and beer; a very nice perk. Also, my wife didn’t bring a hair dryer and since the room didn’t have one, we called and one was quickly delivered. The resort has a nice free breakfast with both hot and cold choices. The free breakfast was good and a definite money saver. The back pool is huge and has a nice swim up bar and lots of shade in the pool so that you can swim and avoid the sun if you’re so inclined (I am). The pool bar has a great wifi connection if you like to surf when you’re relaxing with a cold drink. Most of the workers at the resort were very nice and helpful. One golf positive was the guy at the golf desk helped me get a discount on the golf so that I was able to tee off at noon at Hacienda Pinilla for a $75 green fee (rather than $125). Not a bad rate at all for a nice course.

The negatives: Diria is not a “Golf Resort.” They advertise a free driving range but when I asked about it I was told that the golf courses had driving ranges that I could use for free. No other range was mentioned. The Hacienda Pinilla is a 30 minute drive away and a $35 dollar taxi ride one way ($70 round trip). When driving around Tamarindo, I saw what appeared to be the advertised free driving range about 2 kilometers from the hotel. I never saw anyone using it and don’t know if it was open. Also, if you’re going to advertise yourself as a “golf resort” I think that you should provide free or reduced rate shuttle service to the golf courses/range and have standard reduced green fees. Neither exist. Granted, I got a reduced green fee, but it was only because of my perseverance and boldness in pushing for a reduction since I knew the course was empty. I ultimately rented a car to drive to the course for my games, $48 a day including gas. When I booked my second game at the course, I talked them into the reduced green fee again and later learned I got it because they pretended I was staying at the Marriott! Yeah, “Golf Resort” is clearly a misnomer but I was able to largely work around it. Also, we had a bad experience with one of their tours. We booked the “Palos Verde” tour at the Diria Tour desk. It was supposed to be a river tour, a visit to see the pottery makers, and a free lunch for $80 a person. Turned out because of the rains earlier in the week, we couldn’t go to the pottery makers and free lunch, which they had to know when we booked the tour. So, all we got was the river tour for $80 per (spent more driving to and from then on the actual tour). When we got back to the resort, we were told by the tour guide we would get a free lunch from the Diria and then he quickly disappeared. After we loitered at the tour desk for about a half an hour, the Diria then refused to provide us with a free lunch. When we complained, we were told we would get a $8 per discount in lieu of the pottery tour and free lunch. Then, we literally had to hound the tour desk for three days to get our $16 refunded. Diria refused to get involved (i.e., no $16 room credit) and said it wasn’t their responsibility; it was the Tour provider’s responsibility. Needless to say, we booked the remainder of our tours outside of the hotel.

We didn’t let the negatives drag us down, but frankly it would have been a nicer stay without them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort? Share your experiences!