“Smart, customized training and sport-specific consulting” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 96 Activities in Tamarindo
Type: Health Clubs, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Nick Holt Fitness is a full service personal training outfit located in Tamarindo, Costa Rica offering personal training, group training, boot camp fitness classes, yoga classes, surf lessons, tennis lessons and surf specific exercise programs. We train all ages and fitness levels in a spacious indoor facility or out on the beautiful beaches of Tamarindo. Contact us to stay fit and healthy during your Tamarindo vacation!
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
“Smart, customized training and sport-specific consulting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I work with Nick as a trainer when I am in Costa Rica. When I am in the States, he is a valuable consultant. Either way, NHF has been an important part of my recovery from injuries, increasing strength AND mobility, and identifying strategies and exercises to improve my surfing and other athletic activities.

Looking fit is not a big incentive or challenge for me. But keeping my body pain free and maintaining or improving my already limited flexibility and functional mobility is. When I surf a lot, my hips tighten up, my scaps and traps get super sore, my shoulders start to click and pop because of shortened pec-minors and I battle the electric effects of a neck injury. In short, I am over 40, and my body does not respond well to constantly doing the same things.

So NHF workouts (including TRX classes), and the strategies Nick has identified for me, are focused on keeping my body moving in a variety of ways, which keeps me loose while improving coordination, functional strength, stamina and agility. Iy’s smart training, good for both brain and body.

Nick started by testing for muscle imbalances, identifying my weak links and noting spots where my lack of mobility can impede strength gains or lead to injury. The next step was prescribing exercises to target my needs.

To go even a step further, Nick reviewed still photos of me surfing and noticed where my physical deficiencies affect my surfing. Example: A lack of flexibility in my hips makes me weak in certain ranges of motion, which causes flaws in my positioning, technique and style. Knee and ankle flexibility, and trunk rotation, are also limiting factors. So even while I am away from Costa Rica, I will be working with Nick via Skype and his video workouts to track my progress, add/change exercises, and fine-tune my training. Video conferencing neans that I can find someone like Nick who knows my sport, my body and my goals, and can help me improve, and avoid injury, without having to constantly be in the gym with me.

For someone like me, an aging athlete that needs and prefers to be smart and efficient about training, a guy that needs and likes variety and prefers training outside, being able to train with NHF and reach out to gain the benefit of his expertise is extremely valuable.

If you are interested in keeping your body moving and allowing yourself room to improve when you get back in the water (on the court etc.), do yourself a favor, reach out to Nick. Send him stills or video. Tell him what hurts. Ask him to prescribe exercises, stretches or therapies that will improve your overall fitness and wave catching ability.

Visited April 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Highly recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Me and and a couple friends stayed in Tamarindo for 3 months and saw his reviews on tripadvisor and decided to give him a try. Although I had been swimming competitively for 16 years, Nicks workouts were the first time I had a total body workout, after 3 months of training my lowerbody and core were much stronger then they have ever been. Nicks a fun, positive, guy to be around and it will be a lot harder to workout without him motivating us on the beach everyday.

Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
“amazing trainer and great person”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

me and my roomate stayed in tamarindo for 3 months, and we had found nick on tripadvisor and decided to give him a try, we couldnt be any happier with his training techniques and his friendly professionalism. He not only trained us but gave us a lot of valuable information about tamarindo and what there is to do there and see. We went into this looking to get in shape and we achieved that and also made a great friend in the process. THANKS NICK!!

Visited January 2013
Titusville, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great Pre and Post Surfing Workout!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Nick is such a great trainer. My boyfriend and I spent a week working out with him on the beach doing TRX everyday. Not only was the ocean view beautiful, but Nick was incredibly knowledgable about all aspects of training, from heart rate monitoring to form to safety. Also, as a surfer himself, he was able to provided us with a workout that balanced the upper arm workout we were getting from surfing with lots of great stretches for our arms, chest, and shoulders. And all that stretching worked the core too.

Visited March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“A+++ trainer!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My friends and I recently spent 3 months in Tamarindo and immediately begun our training regiment with Nick.

Nicks approach to working out, routines and location were nothing less than amazing! Not only did we get in shape but what more could you ask for then being on beautiful beach working out!

If you're looking for a trainer that will push you to new levels and want to see results Nick is the man! I highly recommend him and look forward to training with him again. A+++++

Visited January 2013