I had an awesome experience with CRSI - they really went out of their way to make my stay awesome. Here's a few highlights:
-I had a horrific time trying to get to Costa Rica; due to various difficulties with airlines I arrived more than 24 hours after I was originally supposed to get in. Even though I did not get to the hotel until after 2 am, <5 mins after my arrival, Hugh, one of the owners, knocked on my door just to make sure I got in okay and welcome me.
- The staff was super welcoming and friendly. The first day, Hugh showed up to take me around the town and take me to breakfast and talk me through all the things I could possibly want to do in Costa Rica and give me some advice for the best options. After my first surf lesson that afternoon, one of the other staff members took me out for a beer and to chat...
-I had private surf lessons every day. The instructors were always on time, they were friendly and chatty and multilingual - we spoke in a mixture of English and Spanish (their English was great but I also wanted to practice my spanish). They also went out of their way to make sure I got all the surf lessons I had signed up for. Because I showed up 24 hours late due to flight challenges, I technically missed one of the lessons but they rescheduled it for the next day. Also one time I showed up an hour late for my lesson due to a scheduling confusion, and they rescheduled that lesson as well no problem. I did NOT Have the issue at ALL That one of the other reviewers described who had signed up for private lessons and got group lessons - I signed up for private lessons and I got only private lessons.
- Yes, there was some construction and they were in the middle of a move but they were very apologetic about this and made sure that it did not impact the experience.
- Also the school is very safe - even when you come in early to surf on the weekends and none of the office staff is there, a guard is onsite and can come open the gate so you can get a surfboard.
- Overall I had a great experience and would highly recommend the school - the staff really could not be more accommodating and helpful... and fun! Keep up the good work :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Costa Rica Surf Institute offers surf camps, family surf camps, advanced surf tours, yoga, and surfing and Spanish programs in Playa Tamarindo and Playa Grande Costa Rica.We'd love to host you, teach you to surf, and share the Pura Vida. ... more less