“Thought it Would Be Better...” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 107 restaurants in Tamarindo
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Special occasions
Description: Ttiki restaurant is only fresh food with costarican products , good price and french flair
Huntsville, Alabama
“Thought it Would Be Better...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were anxious to try this restaurant and made a trip there earlier in the day to make a reservation. When we arrived the place was almost empty and the reception was rather ungracious. There was no list of reservations and it was a sit where you want. I ordered a banana daiquiri but they had no bananas, so settled for a passion fruit, excellent but very small and served in an old fashioned glass. I had the tuna with an orange chutney sauce, accompanied by au gratin potatoes and salad, all presented beautifully on the plate. My husband had a beef tenderloin that was a bit tough, but the plate looked beautiful. The food was good, but not spectacular and slightly undercooked. The atmosphere is very South Seas, under a giant round palapa, so it should be romantic, but it lacked intimacy. There was only one waitress for the whole place. All in all, a rather disappointing experience for such an expensive restaurant.

Visited February 2013

85% Recommend
Minneapolis
“Very good...not awesome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I decided to try this place out based on the reviews. The atmosphere was nice. The hotel has nice grounds, pool, and nice lighting at night. Our server was very nice and attentive without being overbearing. The salads were excellent...borderline entree sized. I don't usually get too excited about a salad, but this one was just very fresh tasting with a very flavorful, light dressing. The seared tuna for my entree was very good. As a previous person mentioned though, there was an abundance of salt on it. Were talking pea sized chunks of salt. I scraped most of it off, but it still made the tuna too salty. The only real negative to me was the mariachi band that played in the restaurant. I was digging the music they were playing on stereo. The mariachi band, although good, doesn't really fit into a mellow place with high end food. They would be a better fit for a different place with different energy. Overall, our experience was good, but we had better at a couple places. Lower down the list probably because of it's more recent opening, but I think was better, was Pangas.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Amelia, VA
“Dinner at Ttiki”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Had dinner at Ttiki. The restaurant itself was attractive and it was a quiet atmosphere. The food was just "okay" to us. Prices were about average.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Excellent BBQ'd Langosta & Dorado”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We had both lunch and dinner there over the last week and enjoyed both meals. Food was really good the service was excellent and I recommend it highly.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Winnipeg, Canada
“A very relaxing meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My wife and I decided to have our last evening meal at Ttiki as it has good reviews and was close to our hotel.
The surroundings are lovely and the young french couple who run the restaurant are nice.
The calamari was just right as were the mussels and the accompanying fries. For some reason, finding well prepared and hot fries is not easy in Tamarindo.
My wife chose the tuna and it was excellent. We shared a bottle of Chilean Cardonnay and shared a dessert. Total bill was $85 US after tax but before service so the meal was not inexpensive.
In summary, a very lovely meal.

Visited January 2013