“AWESOME LOCATION AND FRIENDLY STAFF!!!” 5 of 5 stars

The Beach House
Frente al Tesoro de Tamarindo, Tamarindo 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #22 of 29 Tamarindo B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“AWESOME LOCATION AND FRIENDLY STAFF!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Upon arrival in Tamarindo, my buddy Jeff and I initially went to The Beach House and were greeted by Jedd and Eniko (forgive me if I'm butchering the names) who informed us they were booked up for that night. They were super friendly and reserved us two beds for the next day. We ended up staying at Blue Trailz the first night, which was nice but not comparable to the awesome vibe of the Beach House.

The staff was super friendly and helpful. Jedd would give you a lift to the grocery store whenever he was going, Luis was helpful with anything surf related, and Eniko was always around if you needed to buy some beer or get the VW bar set up with lights and music. They knew where the best spots to party, surf and eat were.

The location was perfect. Close enough to walk into town, with tons of bars and restaurants on the way. The private beach entrance was awesome for easy access to the water without banging your board up through the streets of Tamarindo. It was the closest hostel to the water taxi's (literally by the beach entrance) that took you to the northern shore, which in my opinion had some of the best surf.

The house itself was nice, it looked a bit old on the outside but was very clean and inviting. Full kitchen, surf rentals, hammocks, lockers, free WiFi, Xbox, stocked refrigerator and good reading material. Outside shower to rinse off yourself and your board. The beds were comfortable and the room had a nice breeze running through it. We stayed in a dorm and it didn't feel cramped at all.

Our plan was to hop from hostel to hostel in Tamarindo, but we loved The Beach House so much that we ended up staying a week. The guests constantly rotated and we met a ton of awesome people. The prices were very reasonable, would have paid double what they were charging in a heart beat.

Thank you Jedd and the rest of the staff for your hospitality and great times!!! Hope you like the pics and hopefully see you again.

QUICK TIPS:

The kitchen gets locked up at Midnight, so grab your booze out of the fridge before it closes.

The mosquitos aren't bad, but DO NOT pass out on the hammocks all night because they will eventually chew you up.

Don't burn any of the large pieces of would by the beach entrance of the house. Collect your own wood away from the house if you want a fire.

At night, ask one of the staff to set up the VW bus. It has a built in stereo and lights so you can hook up your phone or iPod and jam out under the star, by the beach.

Room Tip: The first room on the second floor had a nice breeze.

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tamarindo, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

The only thing ican say about this hostel that it was great, like the story above me. I was planning to stay only for 2 or 3 night but i stayed there for 2 weeks i think it was because of the ice partys and people over there! they even make a tent for me ( with a real bed) outside during nye because they were allready fully booked. The people who runned the hostel were so nicd, Jedd and eshter are really the sweetest persons and eniko as well. And ofcourse don't forget crazy luis the best surf teacher! I really had the best time at the beach house and it was a great start in Costa Rica. I even came back a second time.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We were driving into Tamarindo looking for a chill hostel on the beach. When we stumbled on this place, they had a beach fire blazin and staff right there to help us get a room. The setting was awesome, being right on the beach, having a few beers with the other travellers, such a cool vibe. Definitely a place I would stay again and again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

This was our favorite hostel we stayed at in Costa Rica! The accommodations are perfect for budget travellers, definitely worth the price. The hostel is clean, steps from the beach, has comfortable beds, a kitchen for all to use, an old van they turned into a bar right on the beach, hammocks, volleyball net, tv, xbox, etc. The people that run the hostel are awesome (Jed, Esther, etc) and will take care of any of your needs! They will book shuttles, tours, and give you any information you need to have an excellent stay in Tamarindo. It's a great hostel to meet new people and it attracts a wide variety of travellers! They also offer free coffee in the morning. I'm especially grateful to Jed as the shuttle we organized to take me to the aiport to fly home never showed up. He called the company, talked to a manager, and demanded they either pay for a private taxi to take me and one other person to the airport or they send their own van immediately. Thanks to him, I made it to the airport with 10 minutes left before boarding started! I would definitely recommend this place!

Room Tip: Try to get a bed by the fan or you will have some really hot nights!
Leuven, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We didn't expect to stay long in Tamarindo but hey, when you find a place like this, you will.
Very nice staff, very 'welcome' feeling. Building is a bit old but kept very clean. Actually, you feel like staying in a national park (which is almost true). I loved the garden with hammocks, bar and private beach access. During our stay range in age was sweet sixteen up to fifty-something which made some very interesting evenings. When I suddenly needed a doctor the staff (and some other visitors) really did everything possible to help me. Thanks guys!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

First of all, I would like to saw I planned on spending one night here and couldn’t get myself to leave until 4 days later. This place is the best hostel in Tamarindo. The owners were more than accommodating and helpful. For around $15 a person you can get a nice private room with AC! AC?? REALLY? On the beach for this price?? HEAVEN! AND STEPS FROM THE BEACH! They also have cheaper dorm style living that is usually full of kind people. If you love to surf or want to learn, this is the place!

So far, my favorite person in Costa Rica is LUIS at the Beach House! I have always had this crazy irrational fear of waves and the ocean. This instructor somehow got me on the board almost everytime! I am so greatful for this hostel. I am over one of the biggest fears of my life due to their patience and kindness. Everyone there was friendly and I felt extremely safe. Aniko, Jed, Luis, and a visitor Tim were so friendly and informative.
For the record, I never saw this review below and I am glad I didn’t let it deter me from such a wonderful place. This guy obviously is being vindictive to get something in return. This makes me so angry because I’d hate to see anyone miss out on this place because someone is intentionally telling lies and badmouthing them for some selfish reason. I will definitely be back!!! They have all the hookups for the best tours! They have an awesome VW Van that was converted into a bar with comfortable hammocks all around. I give them 5 *’s for the property and the owners. .

This guy below is crazy. “If they apologize to me, I might consider removing this post??” Obviously, he is trying to leverage something to get something in return. This is NOT WHAT COSTA RICA IS ABOUT! They do require id. This place is safe, friendly and fun. There are a lot of words I would love to call this guy but I am keeping my review family friendly. I feel like I don’t need nasty words to describe this review because I am completely sure anyone can see the hostel and enjoy it for themselves and will not be disappointed. ☺ I always say kill it with kindness. So please, check this place out, stay, relax, and write your own review to combat other peoples’ hatred. We need to support inexpensive, eco friendly, fun places like this so everyone (not only the rich) can enjoy the pleasures of this beach! I just want to spread the love and expose people to this wonderful place! Pura vida!!!

If only there was a “dislike” or “NOT HELPFUL” button for untrue posts like this one.

“If you like smoking weed, and we both know that you do, you'll love that the owners are stoned allll the time and totally irresponsible. Heck, they probably won't even check your passport, so you can check in with a fake name and just take stuff, it's all good!
The sign above the kitchen that says "This is a sign" was lovingly made by a guy who tried to help them out, but in the end was seen as a burden because he mistakenly assumed they were good business people.
The overall rating of the property is a 5. The overall rating of its owners is a 1.
If they apologize to me, I might consider removing this post.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Its the only hostel where you step out of your fint door and can go surf!!!!!!! what else is better....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Beach House? Share your experiences!