“The best hostel in the world” 5 of 5 stars

The Beach House
Frente al Tesoro de Tamarindo, Tamarindo 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #29 of 37 Tamarindo B&B and Inns
Tamarindo, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
“The best hostel in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

The only thing ican say about this hostel that it was great, like the story above me. I was planning to stay only for 2 or 3 night but i stayed there for 2 weeks i think it was because of the ice partys and people over there! they even make a tent for me ( with a real bed) outside during nye because they were allready fully booked. The people who runned the hostel were so nicd, Jedd and eshter are really the sweetest persons and eniko as well. And ofcourse don't forget crazy luis the best surf teacher! I really had the best time at the beach house and it was a great start in Costa Rica. I even came back a second time.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We were driving into Tamarindo looking for a chill hostel on the beach. When we stumbled on this place, they had a beach fire blazin and staff right there to help us get a room. The setting was awesome, being right on the beach, having a few beers with the other travellers, such a cool vibe. Definitely a place I would stay again and again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

This was our favorite hostel we stayed at in Costa Rica! The accommodations are perfect for budget travellers, definitely worth the price. The hostel is clean, steps from the beach, has comfortable beds, a kitchen for all to use, an old van they turned into a bar right on the beach, hammocks, volleyball net, tv, xbox, etc. The people that run the hostel are awesome (Jed, Esther, etc) and will take care of any of your needs! They will book shuttles, tours, and give you any information you need to have an excellent stay in Tamarindo. It's a great hostel to meet new people and it attracts a wide variety of travellers! They also offer free coffee in the morning. I'm especially grateful to Jed as the shuttle we organized to take me to the aiport to fly home never showed up. He called the company, talked to a manager, and demanded they either pay for a private taxi to take me and one other person to the airport or they send their own van immediately. Thanks to him, I made it to the airport with 10 minutes left before boarding started! I would definitely recommend this place!

Room Tip: Try to get a bed by the fan or you will have some really hot nights!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Leuven, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We didn't expect to stay long in Tamarindo but hey, when you find a place like this, you will.
Very nice staff, very 'welcome' feeling. Building is a bit old but kept very clean. Actually, you feel like staying in a national park (which is almost true). I loved the garden with hammocks, bar and private beach access. During our stay range in age was sweet sixteen up to fifty-something which made some very interesting evenings. When I suddenly needed a doctor the staff (and some other visitors) really did everything possible to help me. Thanks guys!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

First of all, I would like to saw I planned on spending one night here and couldn’t get myself to leave until 4 days later. This place is the best hostel in Tamarindo. The owners were more than accommodating and helpful. For around $15 a person you can get a nice private room with AC! AC?? REALLY? On the beach for this price?? HEAVEN! AND STEPS FROM THE BEACH! They also have cheaper dorm style living that is usually full of kind people. If you love to surf or want to learn, this is the place!

So far, my favorite person in Costa Rica is LUIS at the Beach House! I have always had this crazy irrational fear of waves and the ocean. This instructor somehow got me on the board almost everytime! I am so greatful for this hostel. I am over one of the biggest fears of my life due to their patience and kindness. Everyone there was friendly and I felt extremely safe. Aniko, Jed, Luis, and a visitor Tim were so friendly and informative.
For the record, I never saw this review below and I am glad I didn’t let it deter me from such a wonderful place. This guy obviously is being vindictive to get something in return. This makes me so angry because I’d hate to see anyone miss out on this place because someone is intentionally telling lies and badmouthing them for some selfish reason. I will definitely be back!!! They have all the hookups for the best tours! They have an awesome VW Van that was converted into a bar with comfortable hammocks all around. I give them 5 *’s for the property and the owners. .

This guy below is crazy. “If they apologize to me, I might consider removing this post??” Obviously, he is trying to leverage something to get something in return. This is NOT WHAT COSTA RICA IS ABOUT! They do require id. This place is safe, friendly and fun. There are a lot of words I would love to call this guy but I am keeping my review family friendly. I feel like I don’t need nasty words to describe this review because I am completely sure anyone can see the hostel and enjoy it for themselves and will not be disappointed. ☺ I always say kill it with kindness. So please, check this place out, stay, relax, and write your own review to combat other peoples’ hatred. We need to support inexpensive, eco friendly, fun places like this so everyone (not only the rich) can enjoy the pleasures of this beach! I just want to spread the love and expose people to this wonderful place! Pura vida!!!

If only there was a “dislike” or “NOT HELPFUL” button for untrue posts like this one.

“If you like smoking weed, and we both know that you do, you'll love that the owners are stoned allll the time and totally irresponsible. Heck, they probably won't even check your passport, so you can check in with a fake name and just take stuff, it's all good!
The sign above the kitchen that says "This is a sign" was lovingly made by a guy who tried to help them out, but in the end was seen as a burden because he mistakenly assumed they were good business people.
The overall rating of the property is a 5. The overall rating of its owners is a 1.
If they apologize to me, I might consider removing this post.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Its the only hostel where you step out of your fint door and can go surf!!!!!!! what else is better....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Mammoth Lakes, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Jed is amazing! Best hostel! Right on the beach.. amazing surf, fun friendly vibe. Clean hostel ,comfy mattresses. AMAZING. could not ask for better!!!! Will come back and hang out with you guys again. PS this hostel is not for boring people, or people who write bad reviews WITHOUT EVEN STAYING ONE NIGHT! I love the beach house. and I know many others who do too! see you soon!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Beach House? Share your experiences!