“Not what it used to be!” 2 of 5 stars

+506 8826 0262
Improve this listing
Ranked #72 of 127 Restaurants in Tamarindo
Cuisines: Seafood, Costa Rican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Scenic view, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
“Not what it used to be!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

I have eaten several times in this restaurant over the past few years and always found the food and service to be good. There has apparently been a change of ownership recently. My wife and I decided to have lunch there yesterday and that was an experience we wont repeat. We both ordered the Casada which was a combination of rice, beans and fish. I felt embarrased for the staff because they really didnt seem to have a clue about what they were there for. Without getting too detailed, the food finally arrived. We had to ask for napkins and condiments. The beans and rice were acceptable, but the fish was not edible. The flesh was white and actually looked good, but the first bite was tough, stringy and had the flavor of something strongly "fishy." A couple of bites was all we could endure. I never learned the identity of the type of fish, but I suspect it may have been shark. But all was not a loss. A hungry, but polite dog had been eyeing us from a distance ever since our food arrived. Apparently he wasnt a food snob like us. I placed our uneaten offering on a rock near him and he immediately consumed it.

• Visited December 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“some things great, some ok, some so so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2014

had lunch here and it was ok.
the atmosphere is great, setting is great, right on the beach, cool music.
the food was ok, fish was over cooked and the waitress did not know what type of fish the ceviche was made with. she kept saying its "white" fish....

• Visited November 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Killer beachside atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014

Great atmosphere! Beach-side, outdoor and covered seating; great music at all hours; fantastic hanging lights in the trees throughout the property; bonfire at night. It all combined to relax the heck out of you and make you feel like you're on vacation.

The food and drinks were good. Swift service is not their forte. Very laid-back and quite slow, but that can always be alleviated by order two drinks at once!

Give it a shot, definitely worth it!

• Visited November 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, WA
“Must stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014

Great happy hour under the palm trees, best in town....., but be prepared as they bring you both drinks at once....

Visited July 2014
New York
“Rude, rude, rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I walked into El Pescador off the beach in Tamarindo. We were greeted by a man who seemed to be the host or manager, although it was hard to tell because if his dress and demeanor. He wanted us to take a table and seemed annoyed when we asked to see a menu first. He then asked where we had come from. The question seemed odd but I responded that we were from New York. He carried up the menu written on a giant surfboard. We looked it over and I asked if they served anything that isnt seafood...I aknowkedged the name and laughed, suggesting that I knew it was unlikely that a restaurant called "el pescador" would serve much that wasnt seafood. The man then started to ridicule me, stating they do not have hamburgers and "this isn't Macdonalds". I was dumbfounded but simply walked away. We walked a little further down the beach and found La Palapa, a very charming beachside restaurant where the staff do not have such obvious disdain for Americains. With so many restaurants to choose from in Tamarindo, stay away from el pescador and take your money elsewhere.

Visited November 2014