“Amazing stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 36 Tamarindo B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Amazing stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We spent 4 nights at FT's, and had a blast the whole time! Jay and Allison are amazing owners and really made us feel at home. The sheets on the bed were super soft, and we even got clean bath towels. Don't forget to enjoy a burrito, or many at their restaurant!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
FTSTamarindo, Owner at FT's Tamarindo Cabinas, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
We are thrilled you felt at home here; we really want people to be comfortable here! You guys were such awesome guests, thanks so much for finding us (and for all the laughs) :). We appreciate you taking the time to post such a great review!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cowichan Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I was in tamarindo for a couple weeks, attending the witch's rock surf camp across the street and staying at a hotel down the street. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, including I wasn't quite ready to leave the beautiful beach, I spent a single night in the cabanas above FT Burrito. I had already enjoyed many, many fantastic meals there, and Allyson and Jay had treated me like family,..
The room was clean, and felt secure. It's in a great location, especially given the more than affordable price! No problems encountered with TV, AC, toilet nor shower. Yes, toilet paper is disposed of in the bin not the toilet, and yes this is common in Costa Rica. The shower was lukewarm rather than hot, which is also pretty common, and I was pre-informed of this as well.
Overall, I was happy with my short stay there and would not hesitate to return :)

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Such a fantastic review from one of our most fantastic guests! Thanks for taking the time to post such a positive review, we really do appreciate it. Hope to have you stay again should you find yourself on this beautiful beach again!
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I have been traveling throughout Costa Rica and Panama for about a month and this is by far the best place I have found and payed about the same as everywhere else. It is a perfect split between hostel and hotel with private rooms and en-suite bathrooms. The new owners have put in so much work to make the place supremely comfortable, clean, and bug-less. Soft sheets, new pillows, and nice towels along with an a/c that would turn you into an ice cube overnight if you wanted, are all extremely rare luxuries to be found here in Central America. There is a big front gate that they lock at night which adds complete security, but they provide you a key to let yourself in after a long night of dancing to latino music at The Monkey Bar. They are extremely hospitable and make you feel at home and a part of their family. We stayed a total of 5 nights and were so sad to leave them.
The restaurant and bar out front is also full of nice people and the food is also the best I have found for the price. They have a huge menu offering a few different types of food, but I highly suggest ordering the shredded chicken burrito with everything in it! I have been missing my Mexican food from home, and the huge burrito fulfilled my withdrawals so much that I ate 1 of them almost every day I was in town. They also sell "gorditas" which is a huge beer the size of about two and a half beers for 1500 colones (the price of 1.5 regular beers). Cheers!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
I enjoyed this review almost as much as I enjoyed having you guys stay here! You guys were such a fun, awesome group!! Thanks for such an amazing and positive review, we really do appreciate all the great comments. We love what we do because of wonderful guests like yourselves!
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We had the best stay at FTs, the rooms were super clean, the owners were accommodating, funny and great to hang around, the location is directly across from the beach (100meters) and one of the best surf shops. Not only was the hostel great but the restaurant in front has the best burritos and probably the cheapest you can find especially during high season! if you're in tamarindo definitely see if they have room!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks for the great post and for the recommendations! We are glad you enjoyed your stay & appreciate all your kind words! Cheers!!
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Alison and Jay's hospitality was incredible. They went above and beyond to make our stay as best as it could be. As a smaller hotel, they are able to cater to individual needs of their clientele. The rooms are very clean and have a great value for their low price of $15/person (during high season). The hotel is situated across from Witch's rock and the beach. Next door is a surf shop and many restaurants. The hotel is actually a restaurant and delivers food as well. Everything you may need is within a 5 minute walk. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this place to anyone looking for a cheap and pleasant stay in the beautiful town of Tamarindo. This amazing and caring Canadian family was this first hotel staff/owners to ever make me feel at home and actually sad to leave (that's saying a lot as I've travelled quite a bit).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
What a wonderful review, we really appreciate your kind words! We are grateful for all the fantastic guests we've had come through & enjoyed having having you here. It's funny we always get sad when our guests go as well .. We say it's like saying goodbye to family! Cheers!!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I traveled to Tamarindo with three buddies from college -- we're all in our mid twenties now -- and stayed at FT's. Honestly, we would have probably stayed somewhere else with better reviews, but given it was high season, this was one of the only places still available. Overall our experience was good; the owners were English speakers who were extremely friendly and accommodating, offering as much advice as they could, and were always accessible hanging around the restaurant and hostel.

The hostel is located directly across the beach which was perfect, and just a short walk from the main cluster of restaurants and bars. This turned out to be nice, since it was a bit quieter when we wanted to come back and relax. The front of the hostel had a restaurant with good Mexican food, and everything (beer included) was priced reasonably -- not something we could say for other places in the area during high-season.

We stayed in a private 4bd room, which was fine, not great. There was enough space for us and our things, an air conditioning unit, and the place was perfectly clean when we arrived. The downside was that each of the beds only had a single top sheet which was not terribly comfortable -- a light blanket or anything of substance would have been nice. The plumbing was outdated and did not allow you to flush down any toilet paper, instead we had to throw it out in the garbage which could create an unpleasant smell (to be fair, we had heard this was an issue in CR, but this was the only place we encountered it). The shower also did not have any hot water for the four days we stayed there. Wasn't freezing, but was not warm either.

Overall, while I would probably look to stay somewhere more updated if I ever returned, I would definitely stop by for a meal and to check in on Jay and Allison (the owners) to see how they were doing. They make FTs feel like somewhat of a family.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
FTSTamarindo, Owner at FT's Tamarindo Cabinas, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank-you for your review, we appreciate the feedback. We are sorry to hear that your stay wasn't up to FT's standards & we have improved upon several things based on your review. Cheers!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This apartment was the best I have been since a long time. The rooms were perfectly clean, there were towels, good beds, and ac. There was one point that wasn't perfect and that was the shower. They are built new showers soon, but for my stay it was not the best. There was a lot of water, but the shower was a little bit low.
Must important are jay and Alison, the owners. The are the nicest people ever. I was there for four nights alone because my girlfriend wasn't there yet. When ah arrived we had to go back, because she had to see Jay and Alison and off course the great surfing spot, tamarindo! I hope you go there because it's worth every penny!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Such a wonderful review from such a wonderful guest! Thank-you for all the kind words, we truly enjoyed having you stay here. Looking forward to seeing you again .. we miss you around here! Cheers!!

Been to FT's Tamarindo Cabinas? Share your experiences!