“Clean, Noisy, Overpriced” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tamarindo Backpackers

You added Tamarindo Backpackers to your Saves list
Tamarindo Backpackers
West of Supermarket 2001, turn left at Kahiki then 2nd road on the right at the end of the cul-de-sac, | Tamarindo, Guanacaste 50303, Costa Rica, Tamarindo 68241000, Costa Rica   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
“Clean, Noisy, Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

From all the other reviews, I expected this place to be - by hostel standards - decent. However, the supposed a/c is turned off during the day and set at 80 F during the night. The kitchen is a joke; one fridge overpacked, dishes with stuff crusted on, and a stove with only one working burner, and no microwave. Place, they keep the music cranked up from noon onward. Even with earplugs in, I have to wait until after 11pm to be able to sleep. For the price, there are cleaner, quieter places closer to the beach. Okay as a last resort but not anyplace I'd go again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Going into a hostel is normally never my first choice but we ended up here, and were so happy with our stay that we would definitley go again. The manager was so friendly and hospitable, he cooked bbqs, knew local food and party spots, and helped us in every way possible. The rooms were clean, the living area was clean and friendly and I felt safe in this gated hostel. When we left, he gave us 11 lemons to make some delish lemonade that he had provided in the mornings from their very own lemon tree and we made the best vodka lemonades out of it ;) Totally recommend it! (Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the manager, but he manages all of the backpackers hostels in Costa Rica! Awesome dude.)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

With a crew of 6 people, this place was clean, had air conditioning with remote so you could control it, great staff, great location and all the amenities we needed. Planned to stay only one night and ended up staying 4. I felt safe getting to and at the hostel. There was a door man at night to buzz us in and staff there throughout the day.

The staff even threw a BBQ for the guests and allowed us to stay past check out time when our transit was late leaving.

Room Tip: Pick a room by the pool instead of by the kitchen as I found them to be cooler.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband and I just got back from Costa Rica, our last stop was Tamarindo Backpackers. This place was amazing! The staff was so helpful and friendly, the rooms were clean, the area was close enough to walk to town but far enough away to not be noisy. There were monkeys in the trees and the pool, complete with reggae music was such a great retreat! If you're trying to stay on a budget, the kitchen is very well equipped as well.

Room Tip: The dorm room was great (we stayed in 1), but the last night we stayed in the private room with priv...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Great rooms, great location! Very homely and chilled out feel. The staff are fabulous and have great taste in music. It's also very clean. I would definitely return there.

• Stayed February 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

My friend and I spent a total of 8 nights at this hostel across a 2 week stay and it was definitely our favourite by far! I couldn't quite appreciate how nice it was on the night I arrived as it was very late and dark but in the morning when I had time to explore I realised this hostel is fab! The dorm rooms are very clean and tidy, the bathrooms are cleaned to a high standard daily, there is hot water whenever you need it, the pool (more like an oversized tub really) is great to wallow in when it's hot, the staff are amazingly helpful and friendly (we even got merengue lessons and home made cocktails from Alejandra!), the hammocks are cute, the outside area is welcoming, the music choice is varied depending on the staff but always good and we could happily have stayed here longer than we did!!
There are a few negatives though but I'm sure over time they'll get there. The well stocked kitchen didn't really exist. I spent the first 4 days there searching for a decent bowl and in the end had to buy my own. There's hardly any cutlery or decent crockery so to call it fully stocked is pretty laughable really. But in a good way. It became quite fun eating cereal out of a cup!
The shower in our room was broken but still seemed to work if you pretty much yanked it out of the wall. It seemed that every traveller that passed through our room had a lesson in how to use it. I think I turned it on for 3 people as they couldn't manage it. We kept being told someone was going to look at it but nothing happened. It didn't seem to dampen our spirits for long though as the staff are so nice about it, ha!
And also I lost count of the number of times we ran out of loo roll. The cleaner would always do an amazing job every morning but forget the new rolls. I think I asked for a new one every day. They must have thought I was getting through them at the rate of knots!
And it's hard getting home sometimes when it rains and causes pot holes and mud slides! Especially in flip flops! It's quite dark and takes a good 10 mins of concentration to get home in one piece but pleasant location!
All in all though this is a great hostel. We really did enjoy ourselves here. And we met some great people from all over the world. Alejandra makes a mean cocktail ($3 if anyone's interested!) and Freddie has a lovely smile. It's worth it for that alone, ha! :)

Room Tip: The private room is not as quiet as you think!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Hands down, Tamarindo Backpackers is the best hostel I have ever stayed at.

When I first showed up at Tamarindo Backpackers, I was immediately greeted by great staff, a great vibe with chill reggae sounds playing throughout the day, and the cleanest hostel I have ever seen. The grounds were lush and pristine, there were lots of hammocks and lounge chairs to relax in, the dorms were spotless (including the large, bright washroom inside the dorm room) and they were kept cool with AC (you can control the AC from inside the dorm). The beds were really comfortable, and the large rooms give everyone tons of space to move around. There is a full kitchen for all your cooking needs, the swimming pool was always kept really clean and warm, and it was only a very short walk to the beach and into town. The security in this hostel is better than I have ever seen. This hostel exceeded every one of my needs.

In addition to the superior amenities, the staff at Tamarindo Backpackers, Allan and Alejandra, were by far the greatest people I met the entire 3 weeks I was in Costa Rica. Before getting into Tamarindo, I thought I would only stay for a day or 2 and then keep moving south. It was because of Allan and Alejandra that I stayed for 10 nights! In addition to having a tremendous knowledge about Tamarindo and Costa Rica in general, they were funny, cool, kind, professional, charismatic and inspiring. I can honestly not say enough great things about Allan and Alejandra. They were the best company I had on my entire trip. By far, Tamarindo Backpackers had the best vibe and the best people of any other hostel I have ever stayed at.

I would recommend this hostel to anyone traveling through Costa Rica. They will definitely see me again very soon.

LG
Toronto, Canada

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Tamarindo Backpackers? Share your experiences!