“WONDERFUL place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Night & $25 Credit
Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Santa Cruz
Hartford, Connecticut
“WONDERFUL place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

GREAT staff. The people at this hotel make you fell like you are home. They are friendly, professional, hard working and really want to make your stay there great. THe food at the restaurants was outstanding. THe pool is beautiful and is very large so there is always a nice quiet place to sit if you want some quiet time. The grounds are immaculate. The beach is interesting because during low tide you can walk soooo far out and you can see the large rocks that are not visible during the afternoon under the water. THe hotel has a very nice fitness facility and the staff there is friendly. THe internet is great and available all over the hotel except in the reception area. Do not miss the steakhouse, great meal! BEST BEDS and linens, we all slept great there for 9 nights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for you wonderful comments about your recent stay at our Hotel.

I am pleased to know that your stay was great and you were happy with our service.

I hope that during your time in Costa Rica you were able to see more beaches and nature that our country offer to all of us and if no, try to do it next time.

1,276 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Chicago, Il.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is an amazing resort spread out on many acres they call a Hacienda (we call a Ranch). The property is beautiful with Monkeys hanging from trees & coyotes pooping in the middle of the road! Yes, we saw this one night returning from dinner, it was hilarious! The pool is also spread out & is to die for, you could spend your whole day there. Going from ocean to pool. The Beach directly in front of the Resort is a bit rocky but if you move down a little it is less so. The waves are just enough to relax in. We were fortunate to have a pretty much ocean view and it was gorgeous, to say the least, with beautiful sunsets every night. Our buffet breakfast was included in the price and that was very good. The Steak Restaurant was 'Outstanding', one of the best steaks I have eaten. Only problem with this Resort is that it's very far from all Excursions: Volcanoes, Rain Forests, etc. at least a 4hr. drive. So if you're into that, stay more inland unless you don't mind the drive. I only gave this Resort a 4 as i wasn't as grand as the J.W.Marriott we stayed in in Oahu but it was a very beautiful place to just chill & relax & dream away your days!

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the Beach as some of the rooms, altho they say Ocean Front, were a little bi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great comments about us.

Is rewarding and valuable for us when we read such a great comments like yours and is also important when we receive opinions about something our guests think we need to improve.

To come to CR you need at least 4 days to see a little what our country offers and believe me , stay with us and relax by the pool with a really good drink and then take a tour to a Volcano or some place else the next day it worth it. One day for relax other for adventure.

A recommendation is to rent a car if you want to see more around the area. There is a lot of beautiful beaches nearby.

Once again thanks for sharing your experience at our Hotel and for us will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful resort where everyone tries hard. this is easy to correct-fix the food! The talk at pool Dec 24-27 has been how awful the Christmas buffet, the steakhouse and fusion restaurants were and how we'd gladly pay their top prices if food worth it. Love the resort but eat only in Tamarindo which means u must have car. Coconuts is terrific as is Lola's on beach (lunch only). Marriott management:please fix this - it's not hard and you"ll have a winner!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy our food. I will pass your comments to our F&B Director and our Executive Chef to review our menus , also we are in a process to refresh our menus. On the other hand I am glad to know that you liked the Hotel.

Columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was lucky enough to accompany my brother on an incentive trip through his place of employment, and I was part of a group of around 30 people. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous. The room was very nice, and the beds extremely comfortable. The bathroom was large and had a soaking tub that looked nice, but I never tried it out.

The property is huge and sprawling, and the pool is probably the largest I've ever seen - it just keeps going and going! There were plenty of comfortable lounge chairs, and it was never a problem finding an open chair. The service at the pool was fantastic; the servers were very attentive and friendly (especially Roberto!).

While the resort was enormous and clearly not empty, it was very quiet and tranquil. There were lots of hammocks, which I loved! Not that I set foot into it, but I hear the gym was nice. I did get a massage at the spa and it was good (though I wouldn't call it great).

All of the food we had was great, though we didn't sample all of the restaurants. The breakfast buffet at Mansita was outstanding - omelette station, crepe station, all kinds of pastries and hot dishes, extensive cheese and fruit displays. Most lunches, we ended up eating at the pool, and the food and drinks from the Azul pool bar was great. I loved the house salad (I forget its full name), and I heard rave reviews of the ceviche. I am not a rum drinker in general, but the raspberry mojitos were very tasty. Our group had buffet dinners on the beach and on one of the verandas, and the food at both was varied and excellent. Most evenings we ended up in the lobby bar, where the drinks were delicious and the service was good - they even set up karaoke for our group one of the nights. Try the drink called the "cai-pinilla" - it's vodka with muddled strawberries, and it is delicious!

A couple of tips: Bring bug spray! And yes, the road leading to the hotel is bumpy but it's not nearly as bad as a lot of these reviews make it sound. Just know that going into it, and sit back and enjoy the "car massage," as our tour guides called it. And finally, just know that the location is a bit remote - there isn't anywhere in walking distance, so just plan accordingly. The town of Tamarindo is about 25 minutes away and there are lots of fun shopping and eating options, and even a (tiny) casino, so that's definitely worth a trip. All in all, I had a fantastic stay at this beautiful property and would not hesitate to return if I should find myself in Costa Rica again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest;

We appreciate your valuable time sharing with all of us this fantastic review about your stay at our hotel.

I am glad that you had enjoyed our delicious drinks at the pool bar (raspberry mojitos and caipiriñas) and our Breakfast Buffet at Mansita Restaurant.

The only walking distance beach is Abellanas which is 30 minutes approximately from the Hotel but you can also take the complementary shuttle if you don’t want to walk.

I hope that you can come to visit us again and keep enjoying our pool and drinks while you are watching the sunsets.

Kind regards;

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This hotel is spectacular! spotless, friendly, great gym, amazing pool and gorgeous private beach....and the restaurants are fabulous too! If you are honeymooning or looking for a relaxing vacation this is the place. We layed at the pool and on the beach and ordered fresh mojitos all day and it was fabulous. This hotel is also wonderful if you have a children..there is an activity center and daily activities for children!
A few things that I would change is how expensive the gift shop is...a small tube of sunblock is $25 and a bag of chips is $8......a bit over priced ...even for a resort gift shop! Also, the manicures are too expensive ($45). Manicures should be $30 or less....

all in all this resort was fantastic..the rooms are wonderful and the staff was super friendly!

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your time to write this magnificent review.

I am pleased to know that you really enjoyed your stay and what we offer to our guests.

Regarding manicure prices we can check them with our SPA manager but the gift shop prices since they just rent the place to us we can not do anything about it; except addressing your comments to their manager.

We truly hope that you can come to visit us again in a near future.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this amazing resort for 2 nights as part of our Costa Rica Caravan tour. This resort on the Pacific side of Costa Rica is quite remote and about a one hour drive from Liberia airport. After spending a few nights in the rainforest (with lots of rain!), it was amazing to stay in a warm, dry area for a couple of nights. Enjoyed a gorgeous sunset the first night.

Our room was on the 3rd level and had a private patio to sit on. Although we faced out to the ocean side, we did not have an ocean view. Large beautiful bathroom with both a large tub and a separate shower. We walked on the beach and also spent time poolside. Very large beautiful pool. Although sunscreen was applied, we got sunburned - so remember you are close to the equator and can burn easily...

Meals in the restaurant were incredible. Although there was an extra charge, I recommend the smoothies at breakfast.

We really enjoyed this amazing resort and would go back in a minute.

Dear Guest,

I am so glad to hear that your husband and you enjoyed your stay with us.

Is good that part of your trip to Costa Rica you are able to see both sides of our country.

I am sorry to hear that you got sunburned. At this time of the year the sun is very strong. You have to take care.

Eastpointe, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I have to say that the grounds of the resort are immaculate but 2 things were quite disappointing. First the 2 outdoor jaccuzis were not working and I heard from the staff that it's been couple of weeks like that! One of the highly yearned activity for me is to use the jaccuuzi a LOT and of course this was a bad news for me to hear I will not!
The other more serious event was that the second day of my stay comes nap time when I have my 2 little kids take their siesta and we started hearing a terrible drill sound on the roof above our heard (5th floor which was the highest in that wing) so I called the reception staff (I spoke with a Jose on 3 or 4 occasions) and sadly, nothing was done xdespite the promises so I went down with my pygama shirt to the main building and into the reception and ballistically exploded in the face of one of the staff, even though he is not really responsible for this inconvenience- but it is rather management which took the inconsiderate decision to have workers blast drills over our heads at a time when many people are trying to have a siesta! The fact that the hotel is in need of roof repairs is totally understandable and legitimate but my sole complaint is that when they have families with small kids in house, many of them need to nap in the afternoon to be able to survive the activities of the day and that SHOULD have been taken into consideration. Then comes the issue that the receptionist offered to move us to another room but I also understandibly see that after being on the move with 2 kids for 4 days travelling around C Rica, we finally settled for an anticipated 3 nights of REST and calm. Hence, being there already 1 night and having unpacked 4 suitcases all over the room, it was impossible to imagine moving again to another room as 2 days later we were headed to San Jose for anotther 1 night stand at Hilton!. This may have sounded and felt like a reasonable way to make up for the aggravation caused to us BUT, it was frankly another inconvenience, despite the allure of giving us an ocean front suite! In all honesty I would have rather appreciated an immediate handling by the senior management! However, as my day was so ruined and I was so charged, I sat that nighht and wrote a long letter to the GM explaining what has taken place.
Frankly I was waiting to see what sort of feedback I get to show genuine care by removing such bad taste from our mounths.. but surprisingly all that was done was when we came back form a zip lining tour was finding a small plate with 4 or 5 tiny chocolates as a "sorry" gesture!! In all honesty this was so trifle and meaningless that I was taken aback and I did not even open the subject with the hotel again! I work in the Travel industry and I own a travel agency that handles luxury small group customized tours in the USA that sends travelers to exotic parts of the world and I sometimes face grumpy clients, but I have a much more personable way of erasing any bad feelings that they may have, very dipolomatically and rather swiftly! I would have expected a more lavish reaction such as a bottle of wine, a special treatment at dinner time, or a spa treatment to destress or any action that shows true care and elegance responding!
BUT... I was of course over-estimating the client-relation management that this hotel has! The 3 nights in this GORGEOUS resort were the highlight of our family vacation in Costa Rica and I particularly saved all my Marriott points to offer my family a luxury ending and this aggravation has just ruined one of my very valuable days of rest.

Room Tip: ASK before you check in for a QUIET side/corner/floor so you don't ruin your vacation like we di...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you again for your feedback on this review, as you did last time we spoke.

I’m really sorry to hear that even our last conversation, you still having this feeling, The small plate wasn’t our way to solve the issue, it was just a way to say sorry to your kids, and we were focused to change all our working hours to don’t disturb any other family at the resort, for a nap time.

Please accept again our apologies and we will be sending you a directly response on your e-mail, thanks again for your comments

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Jesus Gonzalez

Been to JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica? Share your experiences!