“Our favorite stop in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fenix Hotel - On The Beach

You added Fenix Hotel - On The Beach to your Saves list
Fenix Hotel - On The Beach
100 Mts Sur de Pulperia Stephanie | Samara de Nicoya, Playa Samara 50205, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Playa Samara
Chicago
“Our favorite stop in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

I spent eight days traveling throughout CR with a few friends staying in a different place each night. Our two nights in Samara being the only exception. Our hosts Bill and Phyllis were great, treating us like old friends from the moment we arrived after a long, hot, dusty day on motorcycles. Our comfort was their first concern and we were quickly shown our rooms and a tour of area. It may seem small but we really appreciated their "honor" system for purchasing beverages. The rooms were all within a few feet of the pool and the atmosphere was one that made it very easy to stand around and chat with other guests. If that's not your thing, you could kick back on a hammock or go for a swim on the fabulous beach. The sunsets were amazing. One of the guests in our group would have liked for there to be air conditioning but I never felt it to be an issue even though the temperatures were in the 90s on both days. Each day during our stay, a young man came around selling fresh pastries that were terrific, and added another positive memory.

This was my fourth trip to Costa Rica and, while I enjoyed many memorable stops, this is one place that I will be sure to return to.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Chorleywood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

My husband and I spent two week at Fenix Hotel and had a very pleasant time. As we are both in our seventies we wanted a quiet hotel on the beach with pleasant walks and this was perfect for us. It is also ideal for families with young children as the beach is very safe, gently sloping and no currents.
Our hosts were very welcoming and very helpful in every way. The well equipped apartments are very close together and one needs to be prepared to chat and make friends which suited us. However in the garden there are tables and a barbecue and plenty of seating for sunbathing and quiet reading. We used to take our cups of tea to the beach as the sun rose and then in the evning a drink to watch the beautiul sunset.

The nearest shop is only a few minutes walk away and a 15 minutes walk along the beach takes you to the small town,with restaurants and two supermarkets.

We would very much recommend Fenix Hotel to anyone who would like a
quiet pleasant place on a beautiful beach where you can be sure of a friendly welcome.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

We have stayed here twice and both times have really enjoyed the setting, the well kept rooms, and the interesting people you meet. The hotel is intimate, the rooms are clean and spacious. The kitchen allows you the opportunity to cook if you don't like to eat out every night. Many people cook fish bought from the local fishermen caught that same day. This is a great place to stay for longer stays or with a family, we're recommending it our family. Samara offers plenty of activities or you can just relax in the shade and beach watch. Nearby Carrillo beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica. Phyllis & Bill are relaxed and attentive. Highly recommended.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Fenix. Samara area was the highlight of our C.R. visit. For us the Hotel location was the perfect distance from town.. just a short beach walk and I liked that it was located in the palm trees next to a tiny fishing village.

I think the best paired guest to the Fenix is one whom is easy going and looking to avoid t.v, make a few meals on their own and stay on a natural beach setting.. rather than one who needs a large pool type of resort. The best for us was having the mini-kitchen that had EVERYTHING you needed/ utensil wise in order to make meals and coffee. I loved that there was even a pitcher so I could make my Sangria. The plastic items were a lil dated but that made us feel better about taking the cups down to the beach to enjoy our drinks while sitting on the cushioned lounge chairs or hammocks while enjoying amazing sunsets!

We felt like we were staying with a cool Aunt and Uncle in Costa Rica. Phylis was always checking in to assure we had everything, giving the local tide info and great tips on day trips. The hotels bodega was a nice touch, conveniently on site although we did not use it much, it was a NICE extra perk to know you can buy drinks which you may have forgotten and even borrow boogie boards for free. It is an older property with a smaller style pool but it was very clean and all we needed for a quick dip when the surf was looking rough one day.

While you stay here you will actually start waiting anxiously for the "vendors" to show up. That never happens anywhere, it does here! The ONLY Vendors on this side of the beach are the incredible pasty chef who comes by late mornings with an amazing fresh baked box of (some even hot) goods for sale, a ceviche vendor lady with yummy fresh lime goodness and a fisherman boy selling fresh caught whole and fillets if you want to grill yourself something on the Fenix's BBQ .

You will hear the surf and the Howler Monkeys from your room, Iguanas sun themselves on your roof and crawl by, the tides go in and out! Relax and Enjoy.

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Fenix on the Beach is a great place to stay. Situated on a lovely sand beach we enjoyed the beautiful sunsets. We had a lovely modern appartment and Phyllis was very helpful and welcoming. Lots of nice small restaurants nearby.I would definitely recommend a stay.
Jo, Switzerland

Gallatin Co, MT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

We stayed 6 nights and enjoyed the spacious, clean rooms with great kitchen facilities and comfortable beds. Beautiful, well-kept gardens; small, but clean and refreshing pool; excellent location right on the beach. Good Tico restaurant next door and the restaurants of the town of Samara within walking distance, as well as locally made morning pastries and ceviche available. Not your boring mega hotel, but an low-key, intimate location where the owner bends over backward to make your stay more enjoyable. Met some wonderful fellow travellers there.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

I am a single traveller who is on a work vacation, meaning I need to put in a few hours on the laptop a day while on vacation. I normally don't write these things but I stayed here for 10 days in January and liked it so much I came back for another week in Feb. I chose Samara and the Fenix because it is right on an excellent swimming beach (no rip tides) and for a novice surfer like me it has decent waves (if you're advanced you prob need to go elsewhere). The hotel is right on the beach too so - my requirments for my place was to be able to walk out the door and go swimming. But mostly, I found the Fenix to be ideal for solo working travellers - great 1MB internet that is working 99% of the time (rare in Central America), a nice communal feel to it - all the rooms surround a little refreshing pool and people take their tables outside, so it has the feel of a hostel where you can chat to your neighbours and not feel isolated like a normal hotel room. They have laptop sized safes which is reassuring. The kitchens have everything you need to prepare great meals as eating out alone is something I do rarely. The best part though is the owners. Very friendly and willing to do what it takes to make you feel at home - they lent me their soldering iron to repair my headphones, got me an extension cord so I could use my laptop outside, and even let me tag along to Nicoya one day so I could check out the town (plus also excellent local knowledge). As I solo traveller this place was perfect for me and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Fenix Hotel - On The Beach? Share your experiences!