“Exceedingly Clean and Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casa del Mar Samara

You added Hotel Casa del Mar Samara to your Saves list
Hotel Casa del Mar Samara
50 mt Este de la Escuela de Samara | Playa Sámara,Guanacaste., Playa Samara, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #14 of 26 Playa Samara B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Longmont, Colorado
“Exceedingly Clean and Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Hotel Casa del Mar in Samara for 3 nights. This is certainly one of the cleanest and most carefully maintained hotels I've experienced. Located right in the middle of the bustle of beachfront Samara, this little gem of an oasis has the most courteous and helpful staff and ambiance. There is always someone quietly tending or cleaning the courtyard and the pleasant open air lobby. This place is immaculate, the breakfast is delicious and plentiful. The American breakfast included a ridiculously huge pile of bacon, some of the best fruit we had in Costa Rica, (and that's saying something), and fresh, local eggs. The rooms here are spacious, spotless, bright and airy. The wifi worked the entire time, (only place in CR we stayed that did)... It was so nice just to pop across the street to the "tiki bars and the GORGEOUS beach. It took us a day to figure out that there are wooden lounge chairs reserved for hotel guests right next to the fun little cafe/bar across the street. It's also really fun how much of a community vibe there is here. We found an endless stream of helpful suggestions and tips from locals, other guests and the staff. The best tour of our trip hands down, was the Jungle Waterfall Hike offered by Mystic Tours. If you want an incredible "real" Costa Rica experience (not at all commercialized), take this tour!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Malvern, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed for two weeks recently at this hotel/bed and breakfast practically right on Samara Beach. I had a very large room with comfortable beds, plus air conditioning and always hot water in the shower (not the case for many similar hotels in the town). The staff were exceedingly pleasant and went out of their way to take care of me. The owners also made themselves known and went out of their way to meet any need I had. Breakfast in a very pleasant, open air area was included and was delicious. All rooms were clustered around a courtyard with tables and lounge chairs facing a jacuzzi pool--with very refreshing cool water to relax in after being out in the heat. They also make available cushions to go on the Casa Del Mar lounge chairs already on the beachfront across from the hotel and in addition provide upright beach chairs to carry across the street to the beach if you wish. It was quiet at night--mostly families or single professionals staying there. All in all, it was a wonderful experience and I would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A lovely hotel with a wonderful staff in a great location at a reasonable cost. Rooms are clean and ours was recently repainted. A/C and fridge worked well. Breakfast was adequate. The beach is across the road and they have loungers and chair pads. Located between Lo Que Hay bar (great tacos for lunch) and Gusto Beach bar and restaurants for smoothies and dinner. A small pool for ending the day with a beer from their fridge (nominal charge). The staff was quite upset with Elvias' review and I must say her experience does not relfect what this Hotel is truly like.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After reading the reviews, I leaning to think that most of them are written by foreign tourist. Me and a group of friends visited the hotel last weekend, and the treatment we received was very hostile, to say the least. The staff was extremely aggressive, the owner very unwelcoming and the rooms not as shown in the pictures. The rooms were charged to my credit card without us even checked out yet, and without our consent. The owner accused us of eating in the rooms and using the “pool” (that is not such) to justify their behavior. Both accusations totally false. Our feeling is that the owner is not welcoming to local tourist, that this is shame.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Sandgate, VT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Sept. of 2014 I made my reservation. The rate I was quoted was $85 night, $595 for week but if I paid in cash I would get a 5% discount. When I checked in on 1/22/2915 I was told they were new owners and I would not get the discount of 5% if I paid in cash. But my rate was still the $595 for the 7 nights as quoted. So I paid with credit card instead of cash, because I didn't get the discount for cash. Instead of the $595 on my credit card I had a $612 charge. I questioned the owners about this and they said it was fees charged by their bank and mine. My credit card had no international fees and if theirs had fee it should have been charged to the hotel and not me. Not a huge difference but after loosing the 5% if I paid cash I didn't like this overcharged to my credit card. I found out from my bank the hotel charged in colons at an incorrect rate. The web site for this hotel quotes in US Dollars no matter which language you choose. So the rate billed should match rate quoited. The shower had hot water but there was never hot water communing out of the sink faucets plus there was no pressure from the faucets and if you flushed the toilet you got drips from the sink. So shaving in front of the morrow while using the sink faucets, is a joke! There are only 10 beach chairs so you need to get you the beach early or you don't get one. No mini refrig in our room (some had them but not ours) so no way yo keep beverages cold. But you can buy cold beverages from the hotel. Is that the reason for lack of mi I refrigs? WiFi works near and around the breakfast area but not in the rooms. Breakfast was good and the staff was great and friendly. Rooms were clean but beds are hard and pillows were really flat. Hotel staff, breakfast, clean establishment I gove 5 stars. But for the rest I give 1 star, so I overall gave them a 2 star rating.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are best if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2015

I loved this place. The location is PERFECT. It's across the street from the beautiful Samara beach. They have about 10 chairs on the beach with the hotel name on them that you can use. They have cushions and plastic chairs next to the outdoor shower for you to bring to beach if you like. Free breakfast was great. Four choices of Continental, Tipico, Americano or Cereal with juice, coffee and fruit. They have a frig with water, Pepsi and beer for sale and the prices are not out of control. Next to a great supermarket with pretty much anything you need. This hotel is in the middle of town. Also across the street from Lo Que Hay. Fun beach bar with a lot of locals and tourists. Stayed on the 2nd floor. No street noise at all. The rooms had strong AC and was a good size. Bathroom had a big shower and was also a good size. Pillows could be a lil better, but that is not a major deal. Maid service was wonderful. Two chairs out front and a small hammock to sit on your porch. Little pool to cool off in and lounge chairs, tables with chairs and bar stools to hang out on. All the staff was nice and they have a little library and binders with tour options. I imagine they will book for you if you want. Free parking too. An older review states the hotel just changed ownership, but the VERY SMART owner kept everything the same. Great idea and kudos to the new owners for realizing that, "If it ain't broke, dont' fix it." Love the laid back atmosphere and attitude of the place. We will definitely return to this hotel. Loved this place.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
various
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2015

I love this place. This was my 3rd time staying here. I was happy to see that everything remained the same with the new ownership. It is right across the street from the beach...so close, you can hear the waves at night. More importantly, you can easily run back to your room during the day when you are lounging on their beach chairs. It's nice to cool off in the AC for a few minutes and/or grab something from the fridge.
Every morning, you are greeted by a friendly staff who cooks a made to order breakfast...some version of eggs.
There is a little supermarket right next door for provisions...and many nice places to eat right across the street [see my review of Lo Que Hay restaurant bar].
There are nice hotels in Samara as well as cheaper ones...but this is in my opinion the very best deal.
And Samara beach is my favorite beach in Costa Rica! Vaya a la playa!

Room Tip: Number 17 or 18...upstairs
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Casa del Mar Samara? Share your experiences!