“Perfect relaxing getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villas Playa Samara

Save Saved
You added Hotel Villas Playa Samara to your Saves list
Hotel Villas Playa Samara
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3km South From the Center of Samara Going Towards Playa Carrillo, Playa Samara 50205, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Playa Samara
San Rafael, Alajuela, Costa Rica
“Perfect relaxing getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Overall the hotel is really good. If you are looking for relax and getaway this is the perfect choice. No TV's, phones or electronics in the rooms. Food is delicious and staff is helpful and kind. It is really convenient the fact of having the beach in front of the property.

336 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My family and I purchased a Groupon for a stay at Hotel Villas Playa Samara and then paid for an upgrade to a villa. The villa was nice enough, but we were supposed to be getting a great deal--the accommodations were just adequate for nearly $300 per night. When we got there the first night, the cots we had paid for for our kids were not there, and though the cots finally arrived, bedding for the old cot mattresses never arrived--so we had to sleep four to a bed! For the first two days housekeeping never arrived and we had to call to get it on the third day. Service at the restaurant was poor and the food was barely mediocre. To top it off, we were not let out of the gate on our way out because the staff had found a few unwashed cups and plates in the sink and wanted to charge us $30 for cleaning fees. In sum, the poor service took much of the pleasure out of our vacation. The location is great and the pool nice--but my family and I would not go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Roseville, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel itself is very nice, we arrived at 730pm from a great 4 day guided tour, no water in the rooms! at least 25 people without water, when we got the water back there was no hot water. I can live through it no problem, go to the restaurant order drinks first: margarita and house red wine, receive 30 minutes later a pizza margarita with an ice cold red wine?? Order a coffee finally got it after 45 minutes and 3 waiters later! Did I mention that I speak Spanish? Then at 132 AM yes AM, a full blown fireworks display for a wedding group staying at the hotel. It lasted at least 40 min, very nice, but why don't you tell the other guests about it so we can prepare. Next day, go to the swim up bar at 930am, not open ?? I ask at what time: 11am, ok no problem the group waits, 11 comes around no waiter. I ask again, now the answer is noon!! I go to the reception for a manager, no manager... find another staff member, tell him in Spanish that I'm upset, he answers he will open it, I ask when he says now... so it takes him another 15 min, unlocks the coolers, forgets something goes back to the desk then back to swim up bar then check this out.... he starts serving people on the other side (dry side) who just showed up! What can I do but laugh now, but at the time I thought about flooding his little bar. This type of service went on for the next 3 days: the towels for the pool, running out of food, waiting 45 minutes for a drink, etc etc etc. Customers were checking out of the hotel to book somewhere else. I never have written a complaint letter or a review for anything, but this time I had to, do not book at this hotel as you will be very disappointed and upset. It was rated 13 out of 16 local hotels, after this experience which was this first week of August, I would rate it 17 out of 16.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I had a great vacation time in this hotel, the rooms are very comfortable and everything is clean. Unfortunately I got sick very early in my stayed but the people in the hotel treated me like at home, they gave me tea and anything I needed to recover. The food pricing is very good, not at all expensive. The hotel is very convenient, we only had to give 10 steps and ready at the beach, 10 steps back and ready at the wet bar in a nice pool. Fully recommend to stay here, the best hotel in Samara.

Spring Br
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Beach accessibility is excellent. The place is away from town. The need for hired transportation or paid shuttle every time you want to go to town gets tiring. Not much free activities to do besides swim at the beach or at the beautiful large pool with easy access to the bar. The room is average. Do not expect phone, TV nor wifi in your room. You have to go to the restaurant or the reception area if you want wifi. If you do, be sure you have applied insect repellant or the mosquitoes will have a feast at your expense.
There seem to be a lack of communication among the staff. We requested extra pillows and a change of a burned light bulb illuminating our front door. If not for Genevive, from Monkey Tours, these requests would have not been met. My husband came and requested the same things for 2 consecutive mornings. The reception staff were courteous and yes all the time that you wonder if they truly understand you. Only a few speak English.
The restaurant food presentation was above average but our group find them bland. Service is slow.
The staff are hard working. They seem to work long hours.

Room Tip: You need to request before arrival if you want a king size bed or double bed in your room. If you ha...
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband bought our honeymoon through Groupon for a great price! We flew into San Jose and rented a car (because at the time of purchase, flights through liberia were much more
expensive) San Jose is quite a long drive to the resort, once we finally got to the resort, we decided not to venture far out.
The resort has a beautiful front entrance, only beachside resort in Samara. The pool area is beautiful, nice flowers and landscaping around the property. It is the resorts off season, so they are doing repairs and renovations around the property.
Our room was very small, bathroom, bedroom, that's it.
No t.v. or phones in our room, not a big deal, but there is no night life offered with the resort. There is no room service offered, which would have been on those rainy nights we didn't want to venture out. The wifi did not work most of the time. Make sure to bring your sunscreen on the random sunny days and buy/bring bug spray (must must have) my husband and I both were eaten up with mosquito bites by the time we left.
The thing we were most impressed with was the resort's restaurant's food. It was delicious. There were a lot of choices on the menu. Although the all inclusive menu is different from the non all inclusive menu (which we had). My husband was thoroughly impressed with the food. We are pretty sure they had a gourmet chef in the kitchen every night. They are strange with what you order. Nothing is al a carte. Our breakfast was included every morning with the Groupon deal. You couldn't order like eggs, bacon, sausage, and french toast. You could only order like one egg product with one meat. Weird. The Restaurant should have cironella candles on the table, mosquitoes are horrible during the rainy season.
We took a monkey tour zip lining through the rain forest canopy. It was beautiful, we could hear the monkeys around us, but didn't see any.
The resort had a swim up bar, which was a nice touch. The wait staff was very slow, but so nice!
Our mattress in our room was like sleeping on plywood, it was terrible.
The roads were very tough to drive on, locals drive crazy everywhere.
During the rainy season, apparently, the water is murky and has a bunch of rocks and twigs in the water. If you come closer to town, the water is better. My husband surfed in town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Waynesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Great get away. There are no t.v.s, or phones. The tropical atmosphere - with it's villas, palm trees and iguanas, it the perfect get away to let your body catch up with your soul. We enjoyed relaxing around the pool and pool bar. The staff was very friendly, efficient and accommodating. Within the first day they recognized us and would go out of their way to visit with us and check to see if there was anything we needed. Our waiter, Louis, was entertaining and always was spot-on with his recommendations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Villas Playa Samara? Share your experiences!