“Wish I had stayed elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars

Mirador de Samara
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Guanacaste Samara, Playa Samara 1200, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Playa Samara
Spruce Grove, Canada
“Wish I had stayed elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The location was great and you can tell that once upon a time this place was in it's glory but it is getting run down and the girl who was acting as reception service was very poor and was never upfront on timing of things and literally we had to knock on her door 3 times and she ignored our note left on her door to get our laundry back which was soaking wet when she left it outside our room just before we left). Great pool though and somehow it seemed clean enough though we never saw anyone clean it and junk was left around it that never got picked up in the 4 days we were there (broken pool cleaning tools were at pools edge but they never were moved or used). IF you stay do not stay on first floor bugs galore. First night giant millipedes were everywhere as they can fit from cracks under door on top of the usual bug on floor suspects… every night the ants got worse and worse and I am pretty sure some ants have a nest going under that room or something. By the last day our ankles and feet were attacked when we would just leave our door and obviously were in their nest so we got the brunt of it and it hurt.. kids got attacked too. Saw some howlers which was fun - only had housekeeping come once then never saw any sign of her again. Poor wifi - worked first two days from edge of our balcony outside only… no wifi last 2 days.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor to avoid bug problems
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Two of us stayed in an apartment for three nights and had a very welcoming and comfortable stay. The owner is very friendly (he even drove us and our luggage to our front door) and was accommodating to any questions that we had. The apartment was a great size with plenty of space and more than adequately appointed. Whilst the decor is not modern, it is very Costa Rican and more than enough to make for a comfortable stay. The lack of air-con is no issue - the ceiling fans are very effective and there is plenty of fresh air coming through the apartment. The highlight is the view from the apartment - one of the finest in Samara. The hotel is well placed for walking down to the beach and Samara town centre - no more than 5 mins by foot. If you are reading Lonely Planet, and wondering where to stay, then this would be one of the best choices - the others options listed in LP did not look to be as good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I stayed at the Mirador last summer with my boyfriend. The apartments were exactly what we were looking for, enabling us to cook instead of going out to eat. We were there in low season, so it wasn't crowded, but Max and his wife and daughter were always around which made it feel very safe - we knew if we needed anything we could contact them, they lived right on the property. The view is beautiful, and it was a great place to stay to relax, because you could just stay on the deck of the apartment and not feel like you were missing out on your vacation because of the beautiful views of the ocean and jungle, almost every day we saw howler monkeys jumping from the trees, it was amazing! Even though there was no A/C, it was pretty breezy and we were never too uncomfortable (even though we were there in July.) Would highly recommend to anyone looking for more of a secluded/private vacation than staying at a resort.

Room Tip: All of the rooms overlook the ocean, might get a slightly better view from the top floor of the apar...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Very good experience , and thank you again to the owner for having change my tyre !!
Good pool , very relaxing place and good prices in november .
I will remember the mirador of samara as a very good hotel .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Myself and about 5 other friends stayed at the Mirador from Jan 29th to Feb 4th. I gotta say overall what stood out for me was the amazing view, the sun sets where spectacular. Another particular characteristic I really liked was that they where pet friendly, I've been travelling to Costa Rica for several years now and this is a first for me. In the next trip I've got planned to Samara I'll be able to included my white shepherd.

Overall 5/5 in my experience:

Location: like I mentioned before this is where the hotel stands out.
Sleep Quality: slept like a baby every single night.
Rooms: the rooms we stayed in where nice, nothing I haven't seen before but they where deft up to my standers.
Service: the staff was friendly, I even had a nice chat with Max the owner of the place who told me about some really nice nearby beaches.
Value: because of my overall experience I'd say 5/5 on value.
Cleanliness: again 5/5 to my standers you are at Guanacaste after all and its dry season right now.

This was the first time I stayed at the Mirador and I'll deft come back this year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed here over the Christmas period and New Year. The location of the hotel is ideal for local amenities and the beach which is only a five minute walk away. Our room had a fantastic view of the bay and was very spacious. The staff were very friendly and Max, the proprietor, made us feel very welcome. One thing that would be beneficial to the rooms would be air conditioning although there were fans. We enjoyed using the quiet swimming pool. The highlight of our stay at the Mirador was being able to walk down and spend New Year's Eve on the beach, an incredible atmosphere with magical firework displays.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

My family and I went to Hotel Mirador de Samara during New Years. If you visit Hotel Mirador it will be the worst experience you'll have in Costa Rica! The grounds were concrete with a thick coat of dust, the sheets were tattered and were a mouse grey color with a musty scent. It had a great location, just blocks away from the beach but had endless swarms of Mosquitos. The view was also great but had two telephone poles in the way. Our shower wouldn't run and the floor was caved in under the faucet. The fridge had rotten food left in it from the most recent stay. We had to keep our kids off of the deck because it was a straight drop to the streets. The white pillars on the deck were brown from the thousands of of ants crawling up and down. The pool was about four feet deep, but it was so dirty we couldn't see the bottom. The last thing is the security is terrible! Some rooms don't even have a single lock on their door! We fled Hotel Mirador right away and decided to stay at "Leyanda" the clean, good quality hotel. I strongly recommend NOT staying at Hotel Mirador de Samara.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
prepayment, Owner at Mirador de Samara, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
I must say that this review is the most strangest that my hotel has received for about 20 years running.
Either this traveler never stayed in the hotel Mirador , and had some information from a third person and mixed true and untrue details together. Or its just a simple way tto try to harm the buisiness
1..The swimming pool is not 4 feet deep as the traveler states, in fact an adult person can not stand in the pool water - its more then 8 feet deep.
2. ..the guest is complaining about some dangerous decks…
There are no decks and there is no street around the hotel or swimming pool. The only street is the main street of Samara far away from the hotel buildings and pool.
3. ....security is terrible! Some rooms don't even have a single lock on the door...
The entrance door has a strong security look., the doors to the terraces with 2 lockers each. Also each unit has a save box.
4. . ...We fled Hotel Mirador right away...
During the period mentioned there was not 1 single person that decided to leave earlier than previously booked. During xmas and new year all bookings that were made long time before,
5. ….We fled Hotel Mirador right away and decided to stay at "Leyanda" the clean, good quality hotel…I never entered this hotel, but I heard that this is a good hotel. The only thing, this hotel is not in Samara or any of the neighbouring beachs , but far away inland that makes you impossible to walk to any beach.
I would advise the reader to scroll down to other letters and comments that were made in the past
Max Mahlich Hotelowner

Been to Mirador de Samara? Share your experiences!