“Hands down favorite in Samara.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Detroit, Michigan
“Hands down favorite in Samara.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was lucky enough to spend the entire month of December in Samara. I can say, without a doubt, this was my favorite restaurant overall. Most of the food you will encounter in Samara will be decent and somewhat tasty, but the food at Ma Ma Gui is one of the only standouts in the entire area. Every dish I had there was exceptional, from the pizza to the wonderfully priced dinner specials. It offers a charming atmosphere, even taking into account the occasional loud bus that may pass. I highly recommend any and all of the pizzas. The crust is paper thin and perfect, and they also have stumbled upon the perfect sauce to pizza ratio! I was also pleasantly surprised to arrive one evening and find a $6 (give or take) shish kabob dinner special. The meat was succulent and cooked perfectly. A friend joined us halfway through our meal, took one glance at my dish, and had to order it. He was not disappointed either. The price point is more than fair for the quality and amount of food. Last but not least I have to give a special "shout out" to the owners and the staff. They are very accommodating, and Id like to thank them for allowing me to practice my rusty high school level French on them.
(PS. The owners wife has a horseback riding business which is excellent. I ended up talking with her at the restaurant and ended up booking that evening. I have ridden for years and I was so happy to find her. Unlike the places on the beach she takes top notch care of her horses. They are all very happy and in excellent condition. As someone who has ridden her entire life I also HIGHLY recommend riding with her)

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, drink and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

It was like stepping into mini-France!! We loved this place, the ambience, food, chilled wine and service were excellent. The farmer pizza and grilled fish (special) were great followed by bananas and icecream smothered in rum and nutella crepe. No doubt we shall be returning!! As a tip, the address here refers to the banco nacional, walk past this for 300m on the same side.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leavenworth
“YUM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We found Ma Ma Gui after meeting a French woman who had lived in Costa Rica for the past 21 years. After her recommendation, we went there immediately and enjoyed fantastic food and service! Highly recommended.

cape cod, MA/naples, FL
“Great Pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Good thin crust pizza with all kinds of toppings. Played chess and had a delicious glass of chilled Italian wine while wainting for our pizza. Funky atmosphere.

Playa Samara
“Recently discovered”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I only recently discovered Ma Ma Gui, but it is now on my "once a week" gotta go list! A smallish place with a cozy "bistro" feel. Sit outside streetside or move indoors for the comfortable seating, relaxing music, soft lighting and nice decor. Try the tacos (totally different than anything you may expect, paper thin crust pizzas or the flank steak with melted blue cheese on top. My only downside, and it is minor, is that sometimes the owners get too busy socializing with the guests and service to others suffers for a bit - but I stilll go back for the great food and atmosphere.