“Excellent Thanksgiving Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 27 Activities in Playa Samara
Type: Ships, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: The KINGFISHER is 31 foot Palm Beach, with full electronics, tower and outriggers, offering ample shade and room for up to 5 anglers, it is set up for the serious fishermen as well as the novice angler. We have been sending home satisfied anglers year after year to the point that the majority of our business is now repeat customers, and word of mouth. We strive to take fishing to a more personal level. We encourage angler participation, and while at first (especially to the novice) it may seem difficult, given a good day it is hard not to catch the fever.
Birmingham, Alabama
“Excellent Thanksgiving Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Awesome trip! It was my first time fishing in Costa Rica, and I wasn't disappointed. Capt. Rick and his mates did a great job putting us on fish. Even though we only landed a few dorado, the opportunities were there. We raised a 200+ blue and fought a sail for some time. For someone who regularly fishes the gulf, this was quite the change. As for the boat, my expectations were exceeded. We had five in our group plus Capt Rick and his two mates (Alonzo(?) and Orlando(?)) but the boat yielded more than enough space for us all. I definitely recommend the " Kingfisher", and will use again in the future.

Visited November 2012

Donegal Town, Ireland
“Not a good experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I am a World traveller and have Fished around the world and have never felt the need to complain about a service, however I am so unhappy with the owner, Ricks conduct that I have to leave this review to hope other do not get treated like this.
Booked four fishing days for $4,000.00, yes a lot of money, so expected a good service.
On the first day Rick failed to arrive on time as he was surfing!
On the Second day, the engine of the boat was broken so 3 hours wasted, not informed before we went.
Third day, taxi never arrived, more fishing time wasted.
Fourth day, ok, but no fish as the other days, this I did not mind one Tuna, goes with deep sea fishing, a chance you take.
We only we able to fish the three days, which also had time missing.
At the end of this day, we tried to negotiate with Rick due to the Fishing time missed. We were calm and orderly, he became verbally abusive, and my friends daughter became very distraught at his manner. Very unprofessional and gave us $100 off after ranting and raving and swearing. Not thel Costa Rican way, so don’t let this put you off this Country its lovely. We payed in cash and could not get a proper receipt.
Actually now we don’t even know if we had valid insurance on the boat. I am taking my complaint further.
I really hope no one else falls for this treatment.

Visited November 2012
Key West, Florida
“Captain Rick Rulow on the Kingfisher out of playa Carrillo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We just returned from costa rica late august, we visited an area called playa Carrillo & Samara. While there we had a great day fishing with captain Rick Rulow on the kingfisher out of playa Carrillo, it was one of those great days fishing, Dorado, sails, marlin, & yellow fin tuna all in the same day, the water was lit up with all kinds of fish, one of those magical days on the water, not to mention his incredible crew.

Thanks Rick for an awesome day of fishing!!

Asheville, North Carolina
“Awesome day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We fished with Rick and his crew in August of 2012 and had an absolutely fantastic time! Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful and helped us have a great all around time (which was nice since it was the first day of our honeymoon). Total on the day I think we caught 5 (or maybe 6?) sailfish and a 60 lb. Mahi which we were able to eat for several later meals. Not only that but Rick's first mate, Orlando cut the fish up right on board and within an hour of landing the fish we were eating the most delicious fresh ceviche you could imagine - it was fantastic!

There was never a dull moment on board the boat. Good conversation as we tried what little Spanish we knew with Rick's crew (who are all locals to Carillo) and good tunes as Rick let us bring along and set up our own ipod on board. There was lots of cold beer, plenty of snacks and sandwiches for lunch and fresh pineapple whenever you wanted it.

One of the highlights of the day for us was swimming with a huge pod of porpoises. Rick was able to get in front of the pod and we just jumped in the water with snorkeling gear and watching them all swim around us, definitely an experience I'll never forget, even more so because when we jumped in we nearly jumped right onto a sailfish that was swimming under the boat!

All around a great experience. Rick was very kind as well to help find someone to share the cost of the boat so we could have a full day experience instead of a half day. Throughout the rest of the week anytime we saw Rick around Carillo we were always greeted with a smile and wave.

Tuanis!

Atlanta GA.
“EPIC "ING" Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I fished with Capt. Rick and mates in August 2012. A college graduation gift to my son and it was EPIC! Two Blue Marlin released, one over 500 pounds, and we raised 10 sails and released four, bull dolphin hammering the ballyhoo baits and meat fishing too! Rough seas but once we were on fish we forgot all about that. Nice 31 foot boat, clean and a very efficient. Mates were attentive to the baits and the bait spread and to anything we needed. Beer, water, fruit and sandwiches were there for us but we were on fish all day and we didn’t have much time to eat, although ice cold bottles of Imperial on the trip in capped a wonderful day. It was one of those once in a lifetime “ing” days, as in “catching” versus “fishing” and a trip my son and I will never forget.