“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel ManGaby

You added Hotel ManGaby to your Saves list
Hotel ManGaby
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Hermosa segunda entrada, Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I am a volunteer living in another part of the country and chose to take a solo weekend trip to relax and decompress. Playa Hermosa was perfect for this and Hotel ManGaby was equally exactly what I was looking for. As a 27 year old female solo traveler (gringa), I wanted to make sure I felt safe in the room (i.e. that there was a trustworthy way to lock the door) and wouldn't be concerned about leaving my things in the room. I felt safe at this hotel; it was nicely furnished and clean, I had a beautiful balcony overlooking the lovely pool, the staff was excellent, and it was just a short walk to the beach. The price was very reasonable for the quality of the room. I have traveled to many other parts of the country and mostly stayed in hostels - this trip was my most gringo-style trip (in terms of having a room with A/C, hot water, etc.) and I paid more than for the hostels, but far less than you'd pay for an equivalent room in the states. Overall, I was very pleased and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011 via mobile

This is the best place to stay in Playa Hermosa. Pick-up service from the airport, great value, hot water, television, and wifi! Breakfast is included. The restaurant is five star! The hotel itself is beautiful and is only steps from the beach. I loved the swimming pool. The owner is extremely friendly and will go out of his way to make your stay wonderful. I've travelled throughout Costa Rica and Playa Hermosa is my favorite.

• Stayed February 2011
Fremont, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

The Hotel Mangaby was not exceptional but very nice. The people were wonderful and totally awesome. The service is beyond compare. The room was very comfortable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

Hotel Mangaby is a great place to stay!! Great pool that cools you off on those hot days! The hotel owners and staff were great!! Nice walk to the beach too! Local to other places in the area!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
mountains
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

No TV due to accident(not hotels fault), a small walk to beach. Small walk to nice restaurant but expensive. OK so the fire hazard rooms.... you do NOT have a normal door you have ONLY sliding glass doors for an entrance. You MUST have a key to LOCK from INSIDE! We locked door at night but if there was an emergency and we had to quickly escape we'd have to fiddle with finding the key...so we ended up leaving it in the lock....BUT next morning I was taking shower and my husband needed to use their internet so he asked me do u want me to leave it unlocked or locked? I told him to lock it of course but when I was finished my shower I realized I had no way of getting out. We only stayed one night so we didn't get to check out local town or anything.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

We traveled the entire pacific coast from south to north ending up at the Mangaby. While we were at some very upscale locations that were very nice, the Mangaby beats them in so many genuine ways. The staff was super, drove us to Coco beach because we needed some things from a pharmacy. Rooms were always neat and clean as was the pool. Their little open air cafe was a nice touch for snacks and relaxing but for meals we chose to dine at one of the beach front restaurants. Cable TV was best we had our entire trip. Stations were actual US networks, not spanish with english subtitles. This was the ONLY place we stayed where they actually had free wifi available 24 hrs a day and it stayed up too. In contrast, Best Western in Jaco Beach had free wifi but good luck FINDING AND KEEPING A SIGNAL. This is NOT a beach front hotel, it's about a block to the beach. It is also NOT a luxury hotel. Rooms are very nice but nothing plush. I'd stay here any time and advise anyone I know going to Playa de Hermosa to do the same!!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

In Feb, 2008 we toured most of Costa Rica. I was having trouble booking a place to stay near Playa Hermosa. Vacationcity .com put me in touch with Hotel Mangaby. I'm grateful for that. We stayed approximately 14 days. Great spot. Very clean. Beautiful pool. Resteraunt also served great food. I don't have a bad word to say about the place or the staff. First class on the way. Very close to the beach. Adequate nearby shopping. I look forward to my return trip.

• Liked — Very safe location
  • Disliked — Parking lot
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel ManGaby? Share your experiences!