My boyfriend and I booked this hotel through AAA and got a great deal. I must clarify that we used the Villas Sol Hotel for a hotel. We spent most of our time off the property doing tours. In that regard, this place was great for a home base. It is an all inclusive so we never had to worry about drinks and food especially breakfast and dinner since most of our tours started during the breakfast hour and finished during dinner. The times that are available for the meals are pretty long, breakfast 7-10 (technically it starts at 6:30 but that is just cereal and toast), lunch 12:30-3, and dinner 6:30-10. Yes there are theme nights and the food in the end is the same but serves the purpose for food if you don't want to have to think about what to eat day in and day out. The hotel room was a nice size with a huge king size bed and big closets. The room came with a safe which was great that we used daily. The bathroom was a nice size, shower only no tub, in our room at least. The view from our room to the bay was beautiful. Yes, like other reviewers have mentioned this hotel is on a hill. However, most of what you need in the hotel is on a level surface maybe down a flight of stairs or two. The beach is less than 5 minutes away by shuttle that runs every 5 minutes at least. You can walk to the beach but again you're walking up and down the hill. All of our interactions with the staff had been great, especially in the the more informal restaurant (there is a formal restaurant in which you have to make reservations to eat there but we never did). We loved Julio who was our shuttle/taxi driver to and from the local town of Playa del Coco and the hotel.
With all that being said, there are some minor issues. This place is a timeshare. There will be someone assigned to you that is your personal concierge. They will help you get discounts to tours and other services contingent on the fact that you attend a presentation. Thankfully, through other reviews from this website we knew that going in and had most of our tours pre-planned so we never had to use them to book any tours for us. We also made sure we were unavailable and just kept our interaction to hellos and goodbyes. As for a resort, if your vacation plan is to spend all your time here, I can understand the negative reviews in that regard. There is not much to do around the property besides going to the beach and yes the food can get boring really quickly. There is a calendar of activities that they offer daily (which we never used but if memory serves most of the activities were the same every day or every other day). Two things I wish they could improve would be the quality of the towels. They were pretty rough and flat, so it never felt good rubbing against a sunburned and sensitive back. The bed was a hard, so if you are used to sleeping on soft or semi-soft mattresses you may have some issues.
In the end, our experience at Villas Sol was great for what we wanted it to be, a place that we slept and ate when we needed to eat, had a great view and beach access.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is a development of 100% Costa Rican capital located on Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste on the northern Pacific Coast and managed by Promotora La Costa, a pioneer company in tourism development in Guanacaste. We are a 4-star Resort, and have a Tourism Sustainability Certification (CST) of the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) and we are affiliated to Resort Condominium International RCI, being the only Resort in Central America included in the Gold Crown category granted by this company.We work under an All-Inclusive service in 54 Deluxe Hotel Rooms and 109 fully equipped Villas of 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms.with unbeatable view of Papagayo Gulf.Among many alternatives for entertainment and sports offered by Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort, you’ll find a wide variety of activities for all ages, water sports (motorized & non motorized), sport fishing, diving, kayak & jet ski. As well as many one day tours that will take you to the many National parks and hide away beaches in the area surrounding our resort.Our great location makes not only our resort a great destination but also offers a convenient closeness to all major tours and activities taking place in the Guanacaste area and surroundings.Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is a place for all ages and types of vacationer. A great choice for families traveling with children, single travelers, honeymooners, people looking for a relaxing vacation or those looking for fun and excitement.Our friendly, helpful staff welcome all guests with a “PURA VIDA” and a smile.& the best service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Sol Hotel And Beach Resort
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Playa Hermosa
- Hotel Sol Beach
- Sol Hotel Playa Hermosa
- Playa Hermosa Sol Hotel
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort Costa Rica/Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste