Let me start by saying that we travel often and have stayed in some "interesting" accommodations over the years. My wife is a Travel industry and our group of friends has stayed in everything from a boutique hotel room to All Inclusives. We've been across the Caribbean and have experienced all kinds of Cultures and service, however, Villas Sol has set a new "Low". We refer to it as "The Trip from Hell". Now don't get me wrong, we knew it was the start of the Rainy Season and were prepared for that weather. We also booked several Eco Tours(outside company) and had a blast, but its the amount of money wasted on staying at Villas Sol that taints this trip.
My wife and I stayed in a great one bedroom condo and our friends shared a large condo with a plunge pool. I say great, until the rains began to flood our lanai and then spill into our unit, 2" deep! This was at 2am and a call to the front desk prompted a visit by "Security" on a motor bike. I speak just enough Spanish that I figured out that he was verifying to the front desk, that I was not lying about the room's condition. He was then directed to check out the unit below us to see if we could move there. I followed down and saw that the ceiling was already leaking in that unit. When I refused to move under the growing lake the front Desk said that was all they could do for the night and that a Manager would be in the Morning. Wow! Thanks for not moving us to anywhere else on this deserted property. We called our friends and at 4am bugged out of our condo and to the safety of their dry Futon. It took 2 days to get a new condo and during that period we revisited the old place where the water remained uncleaned. It wasn't the flooding that bothered me, but the shear lack of concern for us by any of the staff!
Stupidly, we bought into the "All Inclusive package". This had nothing to do with any other All Inclusive package offered by other Resorts. For the money, the food choices were very limited. The running joke was which sauce the chicken or beef dish was in tonight, red or white! I hope you love rice and beans too! Its not the Costa Rican diet I'm disappointed in, but rather the misrepresentation of a changing menu "Theme Nights" and the illusion of multiple restaurants on any given night. The service was extremely poor and they seemed to be bothered to have to wait on you. I felt very unwelcome and out of place. As for the bar tenders, at any hour they were the same demeanor. They went out of their way to ignore you and assure that no drinks were flowing. Refills??? Try again later! Pool bar, I'm invisible. Beach bar??? Why yes, I would love a flat, warm beer poured from a strange bottle. I would have bought my own beverages from the small on site store, but oh wait, it's closed yet again for" inventory".
I consider myself pretty easy going and NOT the typical "American on Holiday" that is so famously frowned upon. Even in the middle of this craziness, all we ever wanted was decent service for the money. By all means, go to Costa Rica but, DO NOT waste your hard earned monies at Villas Sol. Please pick somewhere else!
- Also Known As:
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Playa Hermosa
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach
- Villas Sol Hotel And Beach Resort
- Hotel Sol Beach
- Sol Hotel Playa Hermosa
- Playa Hermosa Sol Hotel
- Villas Sol Hotel Beach Resort
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort Costa Rica/Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is a development of 100% Costa Rican capital located on Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste on the northern Pacific Coast and managed by Promotora La Costa, a pioneer company in tourism development in Guanacaste. We are a 4-star Resort, and have a Tourism Sustainability Certification (CST) of the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) and we are affiliated to Resort Condominium International RCI, being the only Resort in Central America included in the Gold Crown category granted by this company.We work under an All-Inclusive service in 54 Deluxe Hotel Rooms and 109 fully equipped Villas of 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms.with unbeatable view of Papagayo Gulf.Among many alternatives for entertainment and sports offered by Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort, you’ll find a wide variety of activities for all ages, water sports (motorized & non motorized), sport fishing, diving, kayak & jet ski. As well as many one day tours that will take you to the many National parks and hide away beaches in the area surrounding our resort.Our great location makes not only our resort a great destination but also offers a convenient closeness to all major tours and activities taking place in the Guanacaste area and surroundings.Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is a place for all ages and types of vacationer. A great choice for families traveling with children, single travelers, honeymooners, people looking for a relaxing vacation or those looking for fun and excitement.Our friendly, helpful staff welcome all guests with a “PURA VIDA” and a smile.& the best service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.