“Hotel and Attractions” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Promotora La Costa, Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 13 hotels in Playa Hermosa
Waterville, New York
“Hotel and Attractions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our party of four recently returned from a wonderful vacation at Villas Sol, in Costa Rica. The hotel and accommodations were wonderful and the all-inclusive meals were outstanding! Everyone there seemed dedicated to the guests having a good time--very relaxed and friendly.
We also did some excursions with qualitytourscostarica. and got to see some of the surrounding attractions, both in an out of the water. Everything was wonderful!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Asistente D, Gerente Residente at Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Trudi K,

I appreciate your comment, it is a pleasure for us to have made you feel at home. I hope that you come back soon.

Gerente Residente

766 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Ahhh yes, the property is beautiful.... but i am not going to waste your time talking about it, I am going to adress the real issues!

Location: Great for those whom do not enjoy 1hr bus rides after getting off a plane. About 25 minutes from the airport. Easy, quick check in. Scattered upon a hillside in the Guancaste province.. along with other hotels so you do not feel too secluded. I encourage leaving the grounds as it is very safe and there are other resto's around to discover.

Accomodations: DO NOT under any circumstances book a SuperSaver Studio. Prior to booking this trip i was very careful when doing all my research, so when the VillasSol website did not confirm the Studio accomodation as an option i assumed i would be in the newly renovated hotel room... to be sure, i had my agent also confirm this. When we arrived there to our surprise the front desk hands us the room keys with a note that said Villa. Let me tell you... there is a reason they do not publicise this room.... cause there is no way in hell you would book it! I have decided not to elaborate on the room issues because since then Villas Sol has offered me 5 free nights in an effort to change my mind about this place. All you need to know is... DON'T stay in that room.

The Hotel: Not for anyone that has trouble getting around or is elderly. I consider myself to be quite fit and even i ran out of breath around this place. Shuttles pass on a regular basis so getting around isn't too hard. It is quite clean with the exception of the pools, a little sandy. Plenty of chairs available during the week... weekend not so much, try to book your tours then. Virtually little to no service, except for the weekend when the locals hung around. Other than that i was always getting up for my drinks. Activities, yes there were quite a few going on, except for when you really needed them, which was after 10pm. After 10-10:30 there was virually nothing to do... unless you left the resort you were forced to hang out at a bar with no music and no people or go to bed. Staff was nothing to rave about... there were probably 5 that stood out, and the rest were in their own world. We actually missed our last sunset cause our shuttle driver decided to stop at the top of the hill to get a view of it himself... HELLO! i don't live here!, you get to see this sunset everyday and we want to see it from the beach... not the top of the hill!? Beach was a short shuttle ride away... very nice, different. A handful of restos and a little section to the right of the entrance dedicated to the villas sol guests. Now, the food. I would have like to comment on the a la carte but we did not get to go. If you do not book the first day you are there, it is most likely you will not get the chance to go. One night closed, others full, another event... for the amount of people at this resort i find it ridiculous to have one seating... especially in a resto that seats less than 50. The buffet, Wow! and not in a good way. Small, not enough selection. They recycle a lot of the food so choose wisely. I was okay up until the last day when I got very sick... and still am! I will have to visit the doctor thanks to them. Eat outside if you can, the local restos are fantatic and generally afordable.
Honorable mention: the drinks were very good and the booze hefty / the wildlife was awesome!

I honestly feed bad writting this review cause Costa Rica was such a great place to visit and i look forward to my return... i hope this hotel raises the bar till then.

Must Do:
Go to Cocoa beach ($15 each way unless you go with the hotel shuttle during their hours). Small casino, restos, grocery store, bars, beach, gelato, yum yum! Thank god for this spot close by or we would have been so bored at night. See a volcano, visit hot mud, hot springs and zipline. A MUST is a trip to the surf town of Tamarindo, laid back attitude and super fun surf lessons. Great little town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Asistente D, Gerente Residente at Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear CopacabAnnaMTL,

The reason why we don't have any photo about studios in our web page is because this especial is only for travel agencies national or internationals, and also we don't have photos on the website of the travel agencies because all our studios are different, this is not the same that rooms, that we have standard room with two beds or King bed.

Unfortunately, the room that was assigned, had troubles during your stay. You have to understand that the price of these studios is not the same that for an standard room. We have several ways to be in touch with us before to arrive to the hotel, you could have sent us an email prior to your arrival with your request about the room.

Now we have another chance that you stay here in an standard room and change your perspective about the hotel.You have two different emails for make your reservation and let us know your request before your arrival.

Resident Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I recently got married at Villas Sol. My husband and I are in our mid 30's from NYC so we have high expectations. We had 41 people fly in from all over the US. We chose this resort over others we looked at because we wanted a more intimate feel as opposed to the larger more mainstream resorts. Thank God we did! The wedding planner, Roberta Odio, they provided us was an absolute Godsend! To say she went above and beyond her duties is still selling her short. She made our wedding better then we could have hoped for and kept the stress away by responding promptly to any emails sent during the planning process. No matter where you get married, make sure you try and request her. She doesn't work solely for Villas Sol.
The manager, Madeline, and the concierge, Jose, were both great as well. There was a small mixup with one of our guests rooms but was rectified immediately. They both made sure that us and our guests had everything we needed/wanted and helped us with group trips to Coco Beach and Tamarindo. The front desk staff isn't overly accommodating or friendly so we only dealt with them.
The rooms are all clean and new and all of our guests were happy. I do suggest staying in a villa if you are willing to walk a bit because the views are AMAZING and they are so spacious!!! We had great water pressure, never ran out of hot water, beds were comfortable and housekeeping was great. They have shuttles every 15 minutes but if you call for one they come within a couple minutes. We stayed in #83, which was at the very top, and although it was steep, we chose to walk down the majority of the time which wasn't hard at all.
The food in the buffet was average. Breakfast was good, never had lunch there but dinner also gave you options. The food at the Heliconias restaurant was delicious!!! Had lunch at the pool bar and that was good. There are two pools and the larger one with the swim up bar is definitely the way to go. Daily activities were fun and a good choice of whether you want sun or shade. The beach is at the bottom of the hill and they provide a shuttle if you don't want to walk down the steep hill. It has black volcanic sand and was picture perfect for our wedding.
Our ceremony was on the beach with the reception at Heliconias Restaurant. The staff at Villas Sol treated our guests as family and made sure everything was on schedule and ran smoothly. We ate and danced the night away! Afterwards, we all changed into our bathing suits and continued the celebration in the pool. On Monday, we had a trash the dress photos shoot. Our original photographer cancelled on us a few days before but Roberta came to the rescue and secured me an even better photographer. Villas Sol heard of my situation and gave us their sail boat for the photo shoot to make up for the bad experience I had with the first photographer. The staff at Villas Sol far exceeded my expectations for us and our guests stay for our wedding celebration.
Just keep in mind that it is a smaller resort and if you have trouble getting around then definitely stay in the main part of the hotel. I give the excellent rating due to our fantastic one bedroom villa, how accommodating and helpful the staff was to us and that our wedding went better then we hoped for :-)

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get at least a one bedroom villa. They are huge with an amazing view. Ab...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Asistente D, Gerente Residente at Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear McGenovese,

For us was a pleasure be part of this special moment for you and meet your family. We always try that all our guests feel like family, is good to know that we achieved our purpose with you and your guest. We hope that you come back soon.

Resident Manager.
Lake Mary, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were called from a company offering 4 nights at the Villa Sol, including all food and beverages and transfers to and from the airport at an unbelievable price and so we jumped at the opportunity. We were greeted promptly at the airport by a man carrying a sign with our name. Our luggage was loaded onto the van and we were at the hotel in 25 minutes. As our room wasn't ready, we went to eat lunch in the main dining room, after which our luggage was transported with us up the mountainside to our room. There are two options at this hotel, a condo type accommodation or a hotel room- we were staying in the hotel room. Our room was small, but adequate. It was very clean, had two beds, a closet with shelves and a safe, a small cooler chest, desk and chair, a tv set ( which had some English speaking channels) and a bathroom with a shower. Internet is available for a fee. The room also had a postage stamp size balcony that could only fit two very small chairs and had to be one of the few balconies with a very limited view. The beds were not really queen size and seemed small for two people; they were hard, but eventually we were able to get comfortable. The bathroom shower had adequate hot water, but no water pressure. The towels looked like towels I would have given away-they were a good size but very rough and frayed. While most days the towels were replaced, on one day the maids took all of the towels and wash cloths and it took 4 phone calls the last close to 9 pm to get towels brought up to us. The first two times we were told that the housekeeping staff went home. It is very hot in this part of Costa Rica and having to stand in the hot sun for up to 30 minutes waiting for a shuttle down the mountain is ridiculous. The claim is that the shuttles run every 15 minutes, but nothing could be further from the truth. The fact that it is impossible to get anyplace without the shuttle makes you feel like a prisoner- the slopes are way too steep for walking up or down and every place is down. My husband and I are in good health but 64 and 75 and found this extremely difficult and frustrating, The food is served buffet style for every meal and is woefully average. There are plenty of choices for salads and vegetables, two choices of meat, poultry or fish, in the morning there are eggs, pancakes and waffles, and desert is somewhat tasteless but for the fabulous pineapple. The hotel runs a shuttle to the beach which not in walking distance of the hotel. A trip to the beach was a bit disappointing- nice black volcanic sand, but no comfortable places to sit but for the bit of shade under some trees on plastic chairs with no cushions on the chairs. There is a main pool where there is a wet bar and a lot of activities, to which we did not go and there is also a small pool outside the dining room. There are a few chairs and shade under a pergola. The nice thing about this pool is the lack of crowds and there is a bar right next to the pool. One thing I found odd is that we were told it was not necessary to change our US dollars, but no one in the hotel was able to give change in US dollars or break a bill so that we had tip money, so be sure to carry small bills with you for tipping as necessary. We were told that the water was safe to drink, but it evidently was not and I became quite ill. After spending 12 hours with constant vomiting and diarrhea, I called the front desk and after explaining the situation asked if someone could bring a few cokes and some toast up to the room as my husband was afraid to leave me alone. I was told they would call back, which they didn't, and an hour later when I called to inquire I was told it was impossible and they then hung up. You can get to Playa Coco and the small beach town with a 15 minute shuttle for $5. We had an interesting time there as there are a lot of very good restaurants, bars and shops. The beach area is really quite nice and there is a nice boardwalk to stroll on. We also took a nice trip to the Palo Verde National Park where we took a boat ride to look at the local wildlife. Additionally we took a full day tour to Nicaragua- pick up at 5:30 am and return at 10 pm. We thoroughly enjoyed this trip as well. There are several tour operators in the hotel-we booked using the tour desks opposite registration and would recommend using these folks. The prices were fair, the meals provided were excellent on both tours and the guides were perfect. While we enjoyed our Costa Rica experience and definitely will return, there is no way we would return to Villa Sol. The hotel staff is unaccommodating and unconcerned with the comfort and the needs of the guests and it is a generally inconvenient place to stay. There are other hotels that are right on the beach and a lot nicer-- You get what you pay for!!

Room Tip: If you are going to stay in a hotel room, ask to be assigned to the main building so you don't h...
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Villas Sol was a delightful experience for our first visit to Costa Rica. We were there in mid March to celebrate my sons wedding with 30 family and friends and found the hotel met or exceeded everyones expectations. The buffet was average and I heard a few different people had problems with their AC units. Good thing I didn't fly 10 hours from Vancouver just for an unforgettable buffet. For me it was hard to complain about the lack of variety in the food when it was being served in such an incredible restaurant. The view of the bay all day long was so nice from this beautiful open air dining room which usually had a gentle breeze blowing through at meal time.

We stayed in a private Villa (26) which was so nice and such good value with a private pool and 3 generous bedrooms including a master ensuite and well supplied full kitchen. The staff in the resort are very helpful and will try to accommodate any request you make. Most of our guests stayed in the hotel. The rooms I saw were all recently renovated and beautifully done. The hotel is built on the side of a hill. Good thing is the views are spectacular from just about anywhere in the resort. The bad part is there are a lot of hills. But...my 83 year old mother-in-law had no problems during the week as the shuttles are frequent enough and would always let her ride in the front seat with them and drop her right at her door. All of the staff we met went out of their way to be helpful particularly if there were seniors or little ones involved.

We spent a lot of time at the beach enjoying the surf, the sunsets, the bonfires and a different beach bar/restaurant every day we were free for lunch. For dinner we tried a few different restaurants we found along the beach and had lovely moonlit walks in the sand back to the resort. There were a couple of busy beach bars with live entertainment at night for the younger crowd.

We took 2 day excursions plus rented a 10 seat van for one day to go to a neighbouring surfers beach. All 3 experiences were great fun. Sunny and 34 degrees every day. What is not to like?? If you are looking for a great value resort in an incredible country, Villa Sol is a safe bet.

Room Tip: The private villas rented from the individual owner are a great value!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Asistente D, Gerente Residente at Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Peter R,

Was a pleasure for us be part of this special moment for you, your family and your guest. I sent this message to all managers and they have been read it to their staff. Thank you for your comment! We will continue working in give our best service.

Resident Manager
Spring Mills, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were called from a company offering low rates at numerous resorts throughout the Caribbean,Mexico and a few other places including Costa Rica but we had to listen to a time share presentation. We chose Costa Rica and stayed at Villas Sol. The facility is 3 stories and sits on a hill like most all of the resorts in CR, so all the rooms have a beautiful view of water and sunsets. The room was very basic 2 double beds and a bathroom. It was very clean but the beds were very firm and the bathroom had no tub just a shower which was fine. Flat screen TV which offered several English speaking stations. WiFi was offered at a rate daily rate of $12.50, which we declined. We had a small refrigerator which was nice to keep drinks cold. Our only complaint was it was VERY hot, around 95 to 97 degrees and the air conditioning was not very good. We even had a difficult time sleeping because of the heat.

As far as the resort it had 2 pools and 2 bars. One buffet restaurant and one fine dining restaurant but you needed to pay extra for that restaurant and make reservations daily around 6:30 am as it is small and fills quickly. The food was good. Every night they had a differ theme..Caribbean, italian and Puerto Rican. They usually had least 2 meats to chose and lots of vegetables, rice and beans.

The activities all took place during the day, they included kayaking, snorkeling, dance lessons, Spanish lessons, bingo and several others. I never saw any night time entertainment. We went to a snorkeling trip and were most disappointed. The water was so cloudy in the area we went to that you couldn't see any marine life.

The resort offers free shuttles to everywhere on the property and they come every few minutes. The had a mini-mart on site as well as a gym and spa which we did not use.

The last night of our stay was a Friday and it was by far the most crowded day of the week. The bartender was working alone and really struggled to keep up with the orders. We had to wait to be seated at the buffet for about 40 minutes and after we were seated no one came to give us drinks or take away plates. The hostess gave us utensils and that was last we saw of any staff... They were significantly understaffed for the crowd. All other nights were great, no waiting and the service was excellent!!

Room Tip: All the rooms would have a great view, but higher would be best.
L'Escala, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

On arrival the staff was helpful finding us a local doctor but very reluctant to give us a smile! We stayed in the hotel.
Our room had a beautiful view over the bay and the sunset from our balcony was amazing. The cleaning of the room wasn't up to our expectations: glasses and mugs never washed, nor the top of bedside tables. As for the towels, we had to leave a bank note in order to have clean towels. No money : no towels, as simple as that.
We went fishing and ask the cook if he could cook our catch. No problems, said the chef. We brought 3 big jack fishes but managed to eat only 2 of them, being told that we only brought two fishes, despite photos to prove the contrary. Same thing at the bar, we would have to wait for the barman to serve the local guests who were loud and rude before acknowledging us but if a tip was left, we would be served with extras.
Be careful if you want to hire a boat. We decided on a day, time and price with someone on the hotel premises by the beach entrance. As the boat was late arriving and early ending the half day the captain agreed for less money. Having forgotten a sun hat on the boat, we were asked to pay $30 to have it back. The hotel manager told us that it was nothing to do with the hotel! Wanting to involve the police, the captain returned the hat.
The souvenir shop was expensive and not very pleasant assistant.
Overall not a good experience.
The food was very average. We ate basic salads as the rest was fried or in sauce. Very little meat was served. The desserts were very colorful but tasted all the same with lots of 'plastic' icing. The rice pudding was good.As for the internet, we bought a week worth of it, and it only work a day! no connection from anywhere but the lobby!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!