Ahhh yes, the property is beautiful.... but i am not going to waste your time talking about it, I am going to adress the real issues!
Location: Great for those whom do not enjoy 1hr bus rides after getting off a plane. About 25 minutes from the airport. Easy, quick check in. Scattered upon a hillside in the Guancaste province.. along with other hotels so you do not feel too secluded. I encourage leaving the grounds as it is very safe and there are other resto's around to discover.
Accomodations: DO NOT under any circumstances book a SuperSaver Studio. Prior to booking this trip i was very careful when doing all my research, so when the VillasSol website did not confirm the Studio accomodation as an option i assumed i would be in the newly renovated hotel room... to be sure, i had my agent also confirm this. When we arrived there to our surprise the front desk hands us the room keys with a note that said Villa. Let me tell you... there is a reason they do not publicise this room.... cause there is no way in hell you would book it! I have decided not to elaborate on the room issues because since then Villas Sol has offered me 5 free nights in an effort to change my mind about this place. All you need to know is... DON'T stay in that room.
The Hotel: Not for anyone that has trouble getting around or is elderly. I consider myself to be quite fit and even i ran out of breath around this place. Shuttles pass on a regular basis so getting around isn't too hard. It is quite clean with the exception of the pools, a little sandy. Plenty of chairs available during the week... weekend not so much, try to book your tours then. Virtually little to no service, except for the weekend when the locals hung around. Other than that i was always getting up for my drinks. Activities, yes there were quite a few going on, except for when you really needed them, which was after 10pm. After 10-10:30 there was virually nothing to do... unless you left the resort you were forced to hang out at a bar with no music and no people or go to bed. Staff was nothing to rave about... there were probably 5 that stood out, and the rest were in their own world. We actually missed our last sunset cause our shuttle driver decided to stop at the top of the hill to get a view of it himself... HELLO! i don't live here!, you get to see this sunset everyday and we want to see it from the beach... not the top of the hill!? Beach was a short shuttle ride away... very nice, different. A handful of restos and a little section to the right of the entrance dedicated to the villas sol guests. Now, the food. I would have like to comment on the a la carte but we did not get to go. If you do not book the first day you are there, it is most likely you will not get the chance to go. One night closed, others full, another event... for the amount of people at this resort i find it ridiculous to have one seating... especially in a resto that seats less than 50. The buffet, Wow! and not in a good way. Small, not enough selection. They recycle a lot of the food so choose wisely. I was okay up until the last day when I got very sick... and still am! I will have to visit the doctor thanks to them. Eat outside if you can, the local restos are fantatic and generally afordable.
Honorable mention: the drinks were very good and the booze hefty / the wildlife was awesome!
I honestly feed bad writting this review cause Costa Rica was such a great place to visit and i look forward to my return... i hope this hotel raises the bar till then.
Go to Cocoa beach ($15 each way unless you go with the hotel shuttle during their hours). Small casino, restos, grocery store, bars, beach, gelato, yum yum! Thank god for this spot close by or we would have been so bored at night. See a volcano, visit hot mud, hot springs and zipline. A MUST is a trip to the surf town of Tamarindo, laid back attitude and super fun surf lessons. Great little town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is a development of 100% Costa Rican capital located on Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste on the northern Pacific Coast and managed by Promotora La Costa, a pioneer company in tourism development in Guanacaste. We are a 4-star Resort, and have a Tourism Sustainability Certification (CST) of the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) and we are affiliated to Resort Condominium International RCI, being the only Resort in Central America included in the Gold Crown category granted by this company.We work under an All-Inclusive service in 54 Deluxe Hotel Rooms and 109 fully equipped Villas of 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms.with unbeatable view of Papagayo Gulf.Among many alternatives for entertainment and sports offered by Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort, you’ll find a wide variety of activities for all ages, water sports (motorized & non motorized), sport fishing, diving, kayak & jet ski. As well as many one day tours that will take you to the many National parks and hide away beaches in the area surrounding our resort.Our great location makes not only our resort a great destination but also offers a convenient closeness to all major tours and activities taking place in the Guanacaste area and surroundings.Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is a place for all ages and types of vacationer. A great choice for families traveling with children, single travelers, honeymooners, people looking for a relaxing vacation or those looking for fun and excitement.Our friendly, helpful staff welcome all guests with a “PURA VIDA” and a smile.& the best service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Sol Hotel And Beach Resort
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Playa Hermosa
- Hotel Sol Beach
- Sol Hotel Playa Hermosa
- Playa Hermosa Sol Hotel
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort Costa Rica/Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste