“Excellent location and views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Condovac la Costa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Hermosa
Prices are for rooms, adults
Hotel Condovac la Costa
Save Saved
You added Hotel Condovac la Costa to your Saves list
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
South Carolina
“Excellent location and views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Just returned from a week, stayed in the 400 building which has great views of ocean, flowers, foliage, etc. Like everyone says, this resort is not 5 star but it is a fantastic value (although we were in a time share and not sure of the local price). The resort is well maintained, a little older, but the pools are nice although they were retiling two of them during our stay. But they were never crowded. Can see fantastic animals on the grounds, howler monkeys, iguanas, raccoons, anteater, birds. Watch out for the resident iguana who hangs out atop the terrace at the little hottub-looking pool- he almost took our nachos! Did not get a chance to see the nightly shows offered by the resort and didn't get to zipline at the resort although talked to several who did and enjoyed it, it looked like fun. There is a convenience store at the resort that has practically anything you need at good prices. Even an ice cream shop on the site. The beach is nice, not white sand, but plenty of chairs and trees, the howler monkeys comne right to the shore. Met some people who rented jet skis on the beach and weren't too comfortable with the waves but I didn't see many waves. The snorkeling trips offered locally are just okay by the standard of other islands where you have white sand, clear water. The sunset crusies look nice and the fishing charters are reportedly great. The fish and shellfish in CR make excellent meals! Yes, there are those small ants in the units at times, just to be expected but never saw roaches or anything radical. The chairs out front of each unit are nice for conversing with other guests as they walk by. Beds are okay, not the best I've seen, housekeeping comes daily to exchange towels, clean.

The shuttles really do run about every 5-10 minutes, it is so convenient and the staff are all friendly and helpful. The staff at the bar and restaurant are great, they will try to meet your requests. Talk to Jean, he will help you! Just wish I had asked for the iced tea recipe- best I've ever had!! The drinks are reasonable, meal prices reasonable and good. The pizza and the fish fingers are great, breakfast is very filling and delicious. Coffee is excellent.

None of us spoke Spanish and had a little trouble communicating with housekeeping but they really try hard to please. Resort is close enough to Rincon and some of the other tour destinations so that you don't spend your entire day driving. We booked with Mardigi Tours for airport transfer from Liberia and for 3 tours. Marvin, Digi, and Mannie and all the staff are outstanding and make special efforts to assist, make the tours interesting and comfortable. It is easy to see why they are rated so highly- they try to accomodate your requests and needs. The staff's knowledge of the country and the wildlife, etc. are endless. The bus will stop whenever the tour guide sees an interesting sight or animal, they are not uptight about schedule.

We did the boat trip into Palo Verde National Park, it was relaxing and intriguing; we saw crocodiles, huge iguanas, all sorts of birds, bats, white-faced monkeys, howler monkeys. Saw a Macaw on the way to the river, beautiful bird! Saw barred owls on the way also. Next we did the tour to Nicarauga, it is a full, long day but filled with adventure and interest. Getting thru the border is an adventure in itself!! But Marvin really knows how to handle the crossing- would not like to do it alone in a rental. The people appear to be in worse economic condition than in CR but the country is beautiful, thousands of acres of plantain fields. The active volcano trip was fabulous and the boat tour thru the islets was nice. We had lunch in historic Grenada City and were able to shop at the straw market there; toured a beautiful historic church with views of the city.

Last tour was to the Rincon area for the horseback ride to the zipline, mudbath, hot springs, lunch. The Borinquen Resort is beautiful as is the land surrounding it. The zipline (my 1st) was amazing and great fun, could have zipped all day! Do the Superman or upside down, it is a thrill! I was leary initially of the horses because I am not comfortable with them, but it was okay, they are gentle and just follow the pack, a 30 minute ride through gorgeous country with awesome views- you'll miss that if you don't do the ride.

Costa Rican people are friendly and seem to be happy and contagious in their desire to help. I enjoyed 2 massages and a facial at the spa at the Condovac, prices are very, very reasonable. The outdoor massage overlooking the beach was fantastic. Only use Red Taxi; don't believe negative review about casino in Coco Beach, yes, it is tiny, but it is fun and the slots paid me off! We didn't get to try too many restaurants because we were gone alot, but Ginger's is absolutely outstanding, tapas only, but are filling and it is fun to order many different ones. Wish we could have returned to the Hotel La Finisterra for another meal, it was DIVINE! Had dinner our last night there, it sits on a hill overlooking the bay and offers fabulous food. They also have half-orders although not listed on menu. I do not know how the bartender did it but he served the iced tea as a blended, icy, frothy beverage that was almost like a dessert- awesome, should have gotten that recipe too!

Early spring is a good time to visit since the rains haven't come and brought all the mozzies but the no see ums are there. I did get bitten by somehting, no one else in my room did, now I believe it was ants or a sand fly, the bites are just going away after two weeks home, the itch about drove me batty but guess that is expected in a "jungle" environment. The Arenal area was too far without an overnight but would like to do that next time.

We had no rain and the temps were in 70s and 80s. If you miss the souvenir shops, the shop at the Liberia airport is great for all sorts of goodies, especially cute tee shirts and clothes, wish I had known before I bought tees elsewhere.

Condovac is relaxing and the value is exceptional. They even have room service with a limited menu. The manager said they are to expand on the retaurant's menu soon and that will make the stay even more enjoyable. I would definitely stay again! Enjoy.

Room Tip: RCI I believe are offered Building 400 or 500, 500 is closer to the beach but not as good a view as...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Westminster, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed at this resort for 11 days (7 in a timeshare, four days in a rental). We arrived 2 days before our time share due to flight arrangements and were put up in a beautiful 1 bdrm units. The room included a partial kitchen and was large and very comfortable. When my son and girlfriend arrived we were moved to our two story 2 bdrm unit that was very, very nice. (room 604) Before I go any further, I need to comment on the staff. They are among the most friendly and helpful I've ever experienced; from the front desk people to the shuttle drivers or maintenance people, we were always greeted with a genuine smile and warm hello.

The resort is set in the hills overlooking the beach but shuttle service is included for free to take you anywhere on the resort. They run much more often than the "every ten minutes" as described. I can't say enough about the friendliness of the drivers.

The food at the resort was very good and very reasonable when compared to local standards. The drinks didn't skimp on the alcohol and were also very reasonable.

One of our favorite things was viewing and enjoying all of the animals on the site from monkeys, coatis, iguanas and beautiful birds (and even the occasional skunk).

The resort is set in a protected bay so the ocean is very safe to swim in for the faint of heart. Also, be forewarned, the only "nearby" is in Playas de Coco, a $30.00 round trip cab ride from the resort, but a fun small town to spend some time in. It is loaded with some very good restaurants and fun night times bar,restaurants.

All-in-all, I highly recommend this resort for a very nice relaxing vacation. I must add, at the end of our time share week when my son and his girlfriend left, instead of moving us to a smaller room we had paid for for our last 2 days, they let us stay in the 2 bdrm timeshare unit, something we appreciated very much. I thank the staff and management very much for this addition to our very nice vacation.

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms in the 500 or 600 building for the best views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Houghton, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We stayed for a week in early March. The weather was unusually windy but very pleasant. The rooms are comfortable (we were in the 400 group). At 5:30 every night the parrots returned to the almond trees to roost. The staff is very friendly and the pool is beautiful. We made arrangements with Mardigi Tours (Marvin and Digi) for airport pick up and took three tours. The Nicaragua tour is a must-do. It's a long day but fascinating. My only minor comment is that it would be great if the hotel restaurant would provide Costa Rican meal choices as well as the standard fare. This place may not be exciting enough for the college crowd which is fine...they can go to Coco and party there.

Room Tip: We were in 419. The hill is steep (but there is a shuttle....we walked for the exercise). It was v...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Liberia, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

We moved to Condovac la Costa from Sol Papayago and have really enjoyed our stay here. We got an apartment with a fully equipped kitchen, table, 6 chairs, two couches and a room with two double beds. It cost us $95.00 per night, breakfast included. If you wanted lunch and dinner the cost is an additional $35.00 per day per person. The food in the restaurant is excellent. This is a four star resort and we really felt like we got our money's worth.

Casper
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Condovac. We stayed in room 703 which was the closest room to the beach. It was a great area. We had some minor problems with our room (ants and air conditioner broke) but the hotel was very quick in providing remedies. When we checked in, we were not provided with a lost of evening activities, which I would have liked as we did enjoy those we found out about. We would highly recommend Mardigitours as tour guides. They respond very quickly, provide personal tours and are wonderful people. If I go back to Costa Rica, I would ;return to this hotel and all my tours would be with Mardigitours!

Room Tip: The four 700 rooms are the closest to the beach but farthest from the pool, which was our preference...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

We stayed in room 102 .We were two couples
My friends who stayed on the upper floor had a great view from their room .
Our room had no view on the lower level
Not enough light in the room to read at night
Service at the reception was good .
At the restaurant waiters were very helpful and nice .
If you are looking for luxury not the palace for you .it is adequate a 3 star .It is clean .Playa Hermosa is a great beach for safe swimming no currents .the hotel has chairs under some shade which is very pleasant .if you need more specific info you can ask me

Room Tip: Parking is available for free
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

This is a very nice place. We really enjoyed our stay. It is hilly but the shuttle service is very nice and adequate. All the people were great that worked there. We had a wonderful stay and would go back in a heartbeat.The tour company of Mardigitours.com was fantastic. They really took the extra time to make sure everyone was comfortable and showed us extra things along the way. Marvin would take your camera to make sure you got the best pictures. Awesome!!
The infinity pool was beautiful along with the view.

Room Tip: The 500 are closer to the beach, the smaller numbers are closer to the pool.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Hotel Condovac la Costa? Share your experiences!