“Loved the fishing boat!” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Hotel La Finisterra to your Saves list
Hotel La Finisterra
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Al final de la primera entrada, Playa Hermosa 5000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Monticello
“Loved the fishing boat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

we have eaten here many times over the past years and love the new changes. We had a WONDERFUL time on the fishing boat! The crew was great and after seeing a gorgeous sunset we enjoyed the fish we caught at home!! Thanks for a great experience !!

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

La Finisterra is well-appointed and the views are outstanding. Room 19 opens to a balcony that overlooks the pool/patio area. Additionally, the panorama from that spot affords one gorgeous scenery that encompasses the mountainside, the ocean, and some volcanoes many miles off in the distance.

We enjoyed the food, having eaten an assortment of breakfasts, happy hour selections, and dinners. Portion sizes are generous and the ingredients are fresh and well-prepared.

Our experience at La Finisterra was lovely, and the clean, attractive accommodations were accompanied by an outstanding staff. We were welcomed with a warm and friendly greeting by Gricelia. She was incredibly helpful throughout the booking process and seemed to genuinely care about guests. She booked an excursion for us, as well as arranged for our rental car.

Jorge was also attentive and hospitable. Not only was he an excellent server, he also was happy to share information about Playa Hermosa and the surrounding area.

This was our first to this part of Costa Rica and the initial impression by the staff at La Finisterra really set a positive tone for the rest of the trip.

Room Tip: Ask for room 19, it faces the pool, balcony and beach view!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Bay Area, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This was not my first choice for a hotel in Playa Hermosa, but after staying here I can't imagine staying any other place. What a great find! The staff is wonderful--professional, friendly and oh-so-helpful. Griciela and Jorge in particular are just the best! From the complimentary welcoming drink to the recommendations for local spots to visit, to setting up tours, they did everything just right.

I can't say enough about the location of this hotel. Perched on top of a small hill, it has the most sensational and commanding views of the nearby beach. Eating dinner on the outdoor terrace at sunset was a memorable experience.

The rooms are clean and comfortable, and with only 10 rooms in the whole hotel, it is quiet and relaxing. All of the rooms have good working A/C.

I was a bit worried about getting to and from the beach; the road to the hotel is quite steep, but the climb turned out to be not as bad as I thought. If you want to go to the beach but you don't want to walk that steep road, you don't have to: the staff will take you down in a golf cart and pick you up whenever you want! How cool is that?

I do have two tiny quibbles (for this I give the hotel a 4.5 rating instead of 5): (1) although there is wi-fi, it is at times unreliable; (2) breakfast is not complimentary, the first hotel I've stayed at in Costa Rica where I had to pay for breakfast (spoiled, I know!). The breakfast choices are set options, and there was one morning where I wanted a fruit plate plus a side of gallo pinto and I was charged for two breakfasts. We worked this out, but it would be nice if some breakfast items could be ordered as side dishes, or perhaps they could serve breakfast in a buffet style.

Still I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 19 has the best view of the beach, but all of the rooms with odd numbers have pretty good beach...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Our stay here was so amazing...I can't thank the staff enough and would definitely go back again. From the moment we booked, Gricelia made everything easy. She was really professional and super helpful. We had an amazing room overlooking the ocean and the forest, they brought us flowers and a bottle of wine for our wedding anniversary, and they treated us like the most welcome of guests. The walk to the beach is steep, but it doesn't take long. I was a little worried when I read some other reviews, but it's not bad at all and we could observe birds along the way. It is worth if for the views you get and the spectacular sunsets!
The restaurant is really very good and our waiter Horhay was great. The bed was very comfortable and the hotel is kept very clean. The AC works really well... in such a hot place it came in very handy. The housekeeping staff was also very courteous and accommodating. Overall, I would say that this hotel is a great value. It is small and charming and I'm so happy we decided to book there. I would recommended this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet getaway. Thank you to the staff for making our first few days in CR wonderful.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good but the ocean view is beautiful so I'd request an ocean view; We staye...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This was a pleasure to experience in Playa Hermosa with very nice rooms, pool area that overlooks the ocean and a restaurant with surprising excellent food!

We would recommend this hotel as it is newly upgraded to include AC, HDTV and every other item that you would expect when traveling and staying in a top notch hotel (but at much lower rates).

Room Tip: If you are going on tours, book through your hotel or find the operator of the tour. Stay away from...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay-- the staff went above and beyond to meet all our needs & accommodate us. They served us dinner on the balcony upon our arrival-- set up tables & chairs just for us! They printed our tour voucher and had it ready for us at check in. The food was yummy and the setting incomparable. The staff gave us all the good tips on the beaches along the coast too. Looking forward to coming back someday!

Room Tip: If space is a priority, try to book a Junior Suite. Deluxe rooms are very comfy, but the king bed ta...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Love this hotel and restaurant in Playa Hermosa with the most breathtaking views. The rooms were spacious and lovely. Also, the owner has wonderful plans for the future for this lovely hotel that will only make it that much better. I would not hesitate to stay here every time I need a hotel in Playa Hermosa as I know I will be pleased with the service and the fabulous food with views to die for.

I am very fussy about quality and this met all my expectations! The owner is a real gentleman and speaks to all of his guest to make sure all their needs are being met.

Room Tip: The corner room overlooking the pool and the ocean was very special.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Finisterra? Share your experiences!