“great choice” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Golden Lake, Canada
“great choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Good value, good staff...excellent landing spot to begin or end an adventure....well done. I'd end the review there but ta wants at least 200 characters to submit a review and they deserve a good one.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I had no idea what to expect and was delightfully surprised. It is right on the beach. Our room was good-sized and very nice bed. The restaurant had good food and the pool was small but adequate, and who needs a pool when you are on a beautiful beach that's made for swimming. It's cheap, too. I'd come back in a heartbeat. The staff was very courteous and friendly. And there's no better place to watch the sun set with a fruit drink in hand. It's close enough to Playa de Coco to visit, but it's peaceful and relaxing so you want to hang around most of the time.

Room Tip: Get room 212 it has a view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dunnville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

We had a great time! great place to stay! Nice and clean rooms, great food, clean and safe beach. Good bang for your buck! your buddy RickyMoe wants to say thanks again. Looking forward to visiting this friendly place again :) maybe we will bring more people with us next year.

• Stayed February 2014
Dalton GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Right on the beach with sunsets that will make you want to never leave, with a cold drink in your hand in a comfortable chair on the beach with your toes in the sand,not a care in the world watching the sun slowly sinking into a golden sea! This is one of those places that you start planning to come back to before you even leave. Wonderful staff and the owner is a true gentleman.Sure there are five star resorts in the area and the only reason I didn't put a 5 on El Velero is because there are places with more amenities.....and to be fair to them and the people that want to spend a ton of money to feel like they have done something special I held one back. But I can't for the life of me think of one reason to spend loads of cash for things I would never really enjoy! El Velero is pure enjoyment at a more than reasonable price. Well maintained & really clean with a restaurant that is outstanding! You'll feel like you are staying with good friends the whole time you are there. I spend lots of time in Costa Rica and have been to a lot of places.... But El Velero is at the top of my list for recommendations on places to stay! I'm a photo pro and my camera loved this place make sure you check out the photos..... even did a few HDR!

Room Tip: Try to get a second story ocean view room!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Twin Lakes, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

My fiancé and I travel to Costa Rica often, but stayed in Hotel Velero for the 1st time in March, 2014. The rooms were clean and comfortably cool with wonderful hot water. The maid service was prompt and trustworthy. Food was good, and I think reasonably priced dinners for beach front hotels!!! The coffee is awesome (love CR coffee) and all shifts of bar/restaurant people knew our name by day 2 and always addressed us with a smile and our 1st names. Sadly, I received news about a death of my best friend of 30 years, the staff consoled me and the front desk made various phone calls to the airlines, and helped to get my flights changed to get me home for the funeral. I couldn't have had nicer more concerned people to deal with. It was an amazing experience. IF you can call it a problem: Wifi in rooms didn't work well if at all, they were trying to fix it while we were there, never got it resolved BUT always had strong signal in bar area and seating looking toward the beach. Honestly, least of my worries when I am in Costa Rica :)

I happened to visit CR again in May. This time staying with my brother but every morning walked the beach to have my breakfast and coffee at Hotel Velero. They not only recognized me, but asked where my fiancé was...and also asked "how did things go with your friend". I was there for 8 days in March.... they made me feel like it was 8 weeks by the way they remembered me. Ive also been told by locals that the staff has been there many years, that says something for a business!!! Muchas Gracias!!!! ~ Barbara y Roberto, PA.

Room Tip: they have 2nd floor beach front rooms....I thought I wanted one of those until I got 1st floor, no s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tronodora
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We on arrived May 24, 2014, at about 8 PM after we fled another hotel (at the end of the beach) where we originally had reservations. The people at El Velero immediately jumped in and helped to make our first night at the beach memorable. We live in the mountains in Costa Rica and had just returned from a 2 week trip to the Galapagos and just wanted to wind down for 3 nights before heading home. And this was a great place to do so. The hotel is clean and obviously cared for...I got up at 6 AM and saw a man actually cleaning up the beachfront as well as the pool. The paint is fresh, the air conditioning cold, the shower is hot, and the service was wonderful. There are only two suggestions: replace all the ceiling fans (and put ceiling-hugging fans in the beachfront rooms) and get the wifi working better (that is an easy thing to do...you can contact us and my husband will do it for you in exchange for free boarding!). That being said we DID have wifi in the rooms but they had a few problems maintaining the connection...a simple fix for sure. Oh, and for those of you who live in Costa Rica and know how hard it is to find wonderful pancakes, go to El Velero and you'll leave happy!

Room Tip: You don't have to have beachfront to hear the waves: We had to change from a beachfront to anot...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

While searching for a reasonably priced hotel on the beach in Playa Hermosa, I came across El Velero. On arrival, I found a friendly, quiet, older hotel right on the beach with everything we required - clean, spacious rooms with air conditioning, wi-fi, safe. I had booked 2 rooms, one with a king bed, one with 2 queens and both were comfortable - located on the second floor. There is a veranda overlooking the beach on this floor with comfortable seating as well as a number of books for reading. We spent our evening after dinner just enjoying the sound of the surf and an evening shower complete with a fireworks-like display courtesy of a huge lightning strike in the ocean. While breakfast is not included with the room, there is a restaurant which also offers nightly specials. Definitely on our "places to return" list.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel El Velero? Share your experiences!