“Eating on the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Velero

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Hermosa
Hotel El Velero
You added Hotel El Velero to your Saves list
#1 On the Beach, Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Pacifica, California
“Eating on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We were staying at the resort down the beach but wanted to eat with are feet in the sand. They have a good happy hour and we were able to have good drinks and watch the sunset. They have a BBQ on Sundays and Wednesdays
,we went on Wednesday and had fresh fish that was caught that day, had breakfast there once and it was also very good and fresh.the service was great and the staff very warm and friendly. Walk back to the resort late one night, felt very safe.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

If you are looking for a diving into the culture, friendliness, and beauty of Costa Rica - I highly recommend the Hotel El Velero. The Hotel El Velero is nestled on a beautiful beach steps away from the hotel's pool and restaurant. The staff is always friendly and smiling, the food is fresh and excellent, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. I have stayed at the hotel over the last 8 years many times and have made this hotel my home while I'm in Costa Rica. The staff is long term employees making each visit feel like I'm catching up with family and friends. There is plenty to do within driving distance and the hotel is more than happy to help with any arrangements that need to be made from renting a car to traveling up to the volcano or zip lining. One unique feature that this hotel has is the beautiful boat for day excursions and great sunset views. I think so fondly of this hotel that when my girlfriend said she was traveling to Costa Rica last December to get married - my father, Mike the owner, and I helped arrange a sunset rehearsal dinner at the hotel and all the guests were simply blown away by their experience.
I strongly recommend visiting the El Velero on your next trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
altamone springs florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

As a repeat traveler and guest at El Velero I can report that the service and stay at this wonderful little hotel is delightful. My last trip down was in mid August and as usual I was very pleased with the staff and their friendliness. I have always been fond of the restaurant and bar. The pool is very close by and the ocean is right in front of you making your breakfast, lunch or dinner a pleasant experience. The El Velero will remain as my first choice when I am vacationing in Costa Rica.
P.S.
Great Value
WPM

Room Tip: I like the second floor. They seem to be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Having stayed at the el velero on several occasions over the years my rooms have always been clean and have never noticed bugs or other critters!!! The service both from the maids to the waiters has been excellent along with the food. Feel the few negative reviews are from disgruntled travelers!!!

Room Tip: rooms 211 and 212 are ocean view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I highly recommend the Hotel El Velero for the following reasons: I have been staying at the Hotel El Velero for over ten years and have never had a bad room, service, or experience. The staff speak good English so there are no problems in communication. The hotel continues to amaze me with upgrades, cleanliness, and great food and service. The servers are the best in the area, and the food is valued prices and excellent. Happy hour specials and dinner specials are well worth considering for both guests and the locals. Barbeque Nights are the best. Air conditioning, free wireless internet, coffee, and TV in the room is a nice touch for me. I love to walk out of my room and step right onto the beach. In addition, the staff is very helpful for information on the many things to do in the area, as well as longer trips to country highlights. They are also very helpful in coordinating trips for the guests.
Not every place is perfect, but the Hotel El Velero offers the best value in the Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste area. I have always found the staff respectful, courteous, and responsive to any issues I may have encountered.
I think my experience has been so good because I start by treating people with respect, and therefore they in turn treat you with respect back. Try it - it works wonders.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are the best. Be respectful and kind and it pays off.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Backnang
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

having been drawn to the hotel by the pictures on the internet, my parents and me were looking forward to a nice stay at the beach, as the hotel's advertisement was "we are the beach". That was about all of the truth to its promises: the beach was only steps away and one could hear the waves while having breakfast at the hotel's terrace. The staff even carried my Mum's and my luggage up to our room. But the room itself was rather a big disappointment - we got to agree with a guest's opinion earlier on: it smelled like a "moldy damped towel" and the worst part: one could not open the windows at all and instead of fresh air there was only the option of air conditioner (staff's explanation for this: to keep away the mosquito!). Merely by seeing this my mum almost got claustrophobic. We managed to stay at the hotel for one night (during which we didn't find any comfortable blankets against the cold of the AC) and afterwards decided to leave the etablissement for good instead of staying 2 more nights as it was planned. To cut the hotel some slack - checking out earlier was no problem at all (maybe, though, because I speak Spanish). To recommend a relaxation for that hotel - why not move a beach further to Playa del Coco to the hotel "La Puerta del Sol" - same prize but way better! Cheers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

El Velero is just right! Right on the Beach. Right on the service. Right on the price. A sweet, casual place that aims to please, El Velero is owned by a gregarious Canadian who works with you to make a great experience for all! Be sure to have dinner there. The steak is FABULOUS!

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Hotel El Velero? Share your experiences!