“Marvelous Hotel with sound of the waves and beautiful ocean view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Belmar (Sevilla Resort)

You added Hotel Villa Belmar (Sevilla Resort) to your Saves list
Hotel Villa Belmar (Sevilla Resort)
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   2a entrada a la Playa 400 metros, Playa Hermosa 41, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
San Diego
“Marvelous Hotel with sound of the waves and beautiful ocean view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stumbled upon this hotel January 2012 and tried to stay one night but it was booked. I than asked the owner, Felix to show me the rooms and upon seeing the spacious clean rooms, I booked it for one week for my entire family. Our week stay in November was fantastic. Our family flew from different parts of USA and from Honduras and all of them loved the hotel, the owner Felix and the friendly and accommodating staff. To my surprise when I got there Felix had a partner (Javier) that had opened the restaurant and bar part of the hotel, The restaurant name is "Sabor Mediteraneo" and we were nicely surprised with great lunch and dinners. The "casado" was so reasonably priced and consisted of either fresh fish, steak, chicken or smoked pork chop, salad and either rice or homemade mash potatoes. We celebrated a wedding reception at the hotel and the chef prepared a fantastic paella, Spanish Tortilla and croquetas de atun. He also included Sangria (very delicious) all for $15 per person. Javier, the owner was very accommodating, he let his bartender serve us our own liquor and all we had to do was to pay her for her time. Of course, the view from our room and the sound of the waves added to our experience at Hotel Belmar. We went out to eat to a fantastic restaurant near the hotel the name is "Ginger" and I highly recommend it. There are many other good restaurants in the area that have been recommended to me and I look forward to trying them when I go back with my friends and family again in November 2013. Felix was very generous to us by giving us a free scuba diving and beach tour. I love Playa Hermosa for its calm and quiet beach. There is just enough people to make it interesting. We also enjoyed the most fantastic sunset I have ever seen. Our last night at the hotel we gathered at the beach to enjoy the sunset and to fill our mind, body and spirit with the nature around us to keep us going until we go back again. By the way if you want extra beds in your room Felix will accommodate you.

Room Tip: I recommend the room with the double bed and a view for a couple, room #1 and room #0 if you have a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Felix G, Gerente at Hotel Villa Belmar (Sevilla Resort), responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you Manuela, I felt with you like the same family. It was a fun week.
You are a nice group and I hope you again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Traveling north from Tamarindo I decided to stay in the quieter Playa Hermosa as opposed to its noisy neighbor playa coco - and luckily I stumbled across this wonderful small boutique hotel - now don,t get me wrong if your looking for 5 star comforts this is not the place for you - no hairdryer/iron/minibar etc. however situated bang on the beach the rooms are impeccably clean , nice comfortable beds , a TV with enough channels to keep you entertained - I was fortunate to stay in the low season and had a sea view which was wonderful to wake up to !
As I stated this is a basic place and that's the beauty of this hotel - the breakfast is fresh fruit just chopped up ( would,nt surprise me if it was picked that morning ) then eggs how you like them with toast !! And served by the friendly staff - but the biggest prize of all is just having your breakfast next to the pool with the blue pacific in the background !!
I stayed for a total of 3 nights ( only planned 2) and the the longer I stayed the less I looked at my iPad/phone etc and disconnected completly and when you retire to bed at night I nodded off listening to the sounds of the waves lapping up the beach :-)
Felix the owner is a joy to be around and will do anything to make your stay more comfortable the only negative I can think of is that the curtains did,nt quite fit the windows and so the sun comes shining through at a very early hour however I guess this must be a Costa Rican thing because a few of the hotels I stayed in had the same problem !
All in all a great place to wind down,relax and take notice of of the wonderful wildlife that is all around this area - great stay , thank you once again Felix

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My stay at Hotel Villa Belmar was supposed to be four nights, but I was glad I remained for six. I cannot offer more thanks to the owner, Félix. He made it a home for me, overlooking the pool and a view to the fine beach of Playa Hermosa. It's not promoted as such, but it's a B&B with a fine breakfast. Loved the fruit and coffee and morning strolls along the beach. You'll need a car to get to Playa del Coco, but you'll find Playa Hermosa more relaxing. It was the Green Season, but the rain was hardly noticed. No night life and few restaurants, but with Félix and some friendly guests, we made our own fun.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have travelled to Playa Hermosa many times in the past and have stayed at several different hotels in the area. From the amazing sunsets, service, amenities, and location Hotel Villa Belmar is hands down my favorite. Felix, the owner is very friendly and went out of his way to make sure my stay was pleasant. I love the privacy of the pool and lawn area which make for a perfect day of relaxation. I'm sure that I will make this hotel my number one choice for all vacations to Playa Hermosa.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Beautiful, personal hotel with bright, clean rooms and friendly, attentive owner and staff. Our room faced the ocean, with walls of windows. Waves, sunsets, the pool and back patio, all from the bed and the sweet rocking chairs by the windows. Heaven.

Loved the AC in the room---never felt like I was missing anything if I went upstairs to cool off for a bit. I even found live Premier League matches on the TV in our room. Nice hot shower. Nothing overly fancy or fussy about the room, which is perfect.

The hotel's open-air dining area (breakfast was simple and good) also has rocking chairs, and a couch-and-coffee-table area overlooking the pool and honestly just steps to the beach. You can't beat that. There's free wi-fi there, too.

Enjoyed spending time talking (and listening to Frank Sinatra!) with the owner Felix, some lovely local friends of his, and the other guests (though it was low season, so there weren't many, which was fine).

A handful of restaurants are nearby (El Quijote was great) and an open-air bar next door. Other hotels and their restaurants are a short walk down the beach. Some restaurants were closed for low season until Nov 1, but we felt like we had enough choices even before then.

Oh, the one ATM is about a 10 or 15-minute walk from the hotel / beach area, so plan for that. Credit cards are accepted at the hotel and other bigger businesses if you need to use them, but you'll need cash for taxis, some restaurants, or a beachfront massage. :)

There's a bigger town, Playas del Coco, a $10-$15 cab ride away, with plenty of nightlife and crowded beaches. We checked it out, and it definitely has more restaurants and bars, and a bigger grocery store, but it had the downsides as well---garbage on the beach, lots of trinket sellers trying to get our attention, higher prices. We left before the clubs started thumping and hightailed it back to Hermosa.

We honestly didn't feel like we needed very many other places to go---relaxing by the ocean (and pool) right there at the hotel was paradise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

If you are going to Costa Rica, I highly recommend the Hotel Villa Belmar Sevilla Resort!! Felix, the owner, is fabulous and will go above and beyond to make sure your accommodations are first rate! He upgraded my husband and I to an ocean front room for free and ensured that every need was attended to! As soon as you step onto the property, which is tucked away in a private nook in Playa Hermosa (with breathe taking views of the Pacific), you get the feeling of being totally welcome! Staying was just half the fun, getting to know the owner and his wife and other locals...they made me and my husband feel like part of a family!! Memories and friends were made here, not just another check in and out experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Villa Belmar is a very fun hotel.The rooms are clean and the tv has about 10 channels in english.They have good food and a 90 foot path to the beach.The beach is very beautiful.The hotel is right by a store and restaurants .When you leave the hotel to eat i would reccomend pescado loco. that translates to crazy fish. tell the lady Robert sent you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Villa Belmar (Sevilla Resort)? Share your experiences!