“Great for day trips, HORRIBLE for airport transfers!” 3 of 5 stars

+506 2667 0422
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Plus Papagayo Tours and Transfers was founded with the goal of providing all tour packages in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Central America, we specialize in tour guides to Nicaragua we are pioneers in this colonial tour to Nicaragua.
Davidson, North Carolina
70 attraction reviews
“Great for day trips, HORRIBLE for airport transfers!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

If we had only used Plus Papagayo for our day trip, I would give them an EXCELLENT review. Unfortunately due to the nature of our airport transfer, I can't rate them any higher than average.

I'll start with the bad first: We arrived in LIberia on time & I had arranged our transfer through the Coco Beach Hotel so I had no idea who would be picking us up. After not seeing my name on a sign, I finally went over to the tour desk located in the airport & asked the girl if she could call our hotel for us. Our transfer was supposed to pick us up at 11:00am and finally arrived at 11:40. We were told that this would be a private transfer and we ended up sharing a van with 3 other people. At the end of our trip, I arranged transfer back to the airport, again not knowing who would pick us up. (I didn't realize at the time that PP works directly with Coco Beach & Villas Sol) I asked for a 10:00 am pickup and also if it was a private transfer. I was told YES, it would be a transfer for TWO people. At 10:05am, the front desk agent told us that it would be 15 minutes before our driver arrived. Upon arrival, we were told that we had to go to another location, change vans & pick up more people, & then head to the airport. I quickly expressed that this was UNACCEPTABLE as they were already late picking us up & we needed to be at the airport to check in for our flights. The matter was quickly resolved and we were on our way, just the two of us with no stopping on the way. Due to this hassle, I would definitely NOT recommend Plus Papagayo for airport transportion.

The good news is that PP was able to salvage a good rep for our day trip to the Buena Vista Lodge. We were picked up promptly at 7 am, as promised by Jorge. He was a great driver & guide. He shared lots of Costa Rican knowledge with us throughout the day and even stopped several times at scenic viewpoints so we could take photos. On these stops, he also explained alot about the area we were in & showed us several plants and other points of interest. We had a great day of zip lining, water sliding, horseback riding, and sitting in the baths at the 'spa.' I would definitely recommend Jorge as a guide & would do another tour with him!

Visited April 2014

Rochester, New York
“Horrible Transfer Service - DO NOT RIDE with Mauriceo”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I scheduled our transfer from the hotel to the airport with Plus Papagayo Tours & Transfers via Villas Sol Hotel. This transfer cost $40 and I wish to explain why I feel the service was extremely poor.

We left Villas Sol at 10:30 am on Saturday, March 29. The driver of tour bus was Mauriceo. During our 25 minute ride fom Villas Sol to the Aiport, he was swirving into the other lane, speeding, texting and making phone calls, and passing other cars unsafely. Several of us spoke up and told him we felt unsafe. He ignored our comments and continue to put our lives in danger. As we approcached the airport, he began speeding and other tour busses were honking and telling him to slow down with hand motions.

I was scared (as were other passengers). I will NEVER schedule any tour or transfer with Plus Papagayo Tours & Transfers. It is my hope that his person is not allow to drive any tourists around Costa Rica as he is very dangerous and a definite liabiilty to the company for which he is employed.

Petawawa, Canada
“2 trips in one”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Last March, my husband and I visited Costa Rica and booked a one-day trip to Nicaragua with Plus-Papagayo. The day was so packed that I feel I've made 2 vacations in one!
Johnny was our driver, always on time, handled the border quickly, knows everybody everywhere, could work around a small problem when one of the travellers on our group forgot some paper work... Our tour guide (forgot his name) was absolutely amazing. He had a great deal of knowledge and had answers to all my questions. The day was very well organised and laid out.
The only thing I didn't like was shopping in the Granada market, because a "guide-protector" was assigned to each couple/small group. He would "guide" us into specific shops, constantly texting on his cell phone (announcing us as next victims to the shop owners/friends?) We felt pressured to visit shops that we didn't want to visit. I had to firmly insist on buying a painting I had seen at the first shop, after he dragged me in his friend's shops for other paintings. I ended up buying the painting that I wanted, but with great effort and persuasion. If the market is so safe, then this guide is useless. As for helping with the money transfer and conversion, we can manage on our own. If we get ripped off, I'd rather it not be with his help. I would feel less screwed over.
Other than that, this long day (5am to 9pm) was amazing. I saw a lot of stuff, did lots of things. At the end of the night, our group split-up into different vans and drivers to go back to our respective hotels, and at this point, our main driver Johnny missed out on a lot of tip as the travellers were not given the opportunity to do so. They need to work around this as I think these guys deserve their tips. At the end of the day we were also given a personal souvenir which really made this trip marvelous. Mucho gracias!

Flemington, New Jersey
“BEST Tour of my whole trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Harold was our tour guide and he was fantastic! It was very informative, relaxing, had delicious food, and made the border cross from Costa Rica to Nicaragua and back again flawless. They provided breakfast and lunch, but some people on the tour took longer than others walking around and taking pictures and shopping so we got back after 9:30pm and there was no dinner. That is the only thing that I would change, but you stand right at the mouth of the volcano Masaya, see so many great things, more volcanoes, you learn a lot, and the souvenirs are priceless (and we pretty cheap too!) I would recommend this tour to anyone and everyone who is going to Costa Rica - it's a must!

Tampa, Florida
10 attraction reviews
“Tour to Nicaragua”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

My new wife and I took the one day tour to Nicaragua and it was a great experience. We paid $150 each which included pick up and drop off at our hotel and breakfast and lunch, border fees, a trip to two volcanos one was now a lake and the other was an active volcano, and a visit to two small town one was Grenada which had some great old architecture and finally a boat ride on Lake Nicaragua. There was a lot packed into this day but I am very happy I could experience this. The active volcano is something that I have never experienced and it is a bit scary but very cool. The boat ride along Lake Nicaragua is very relaxing and nice to see the small little islands and the different houses that are on each island. The lunch in town was probably the best lunch I had while I was in Costa Rica for 8 days. It consisted of a huge shish kebob of beef, chicken, peppers, onions, tomatoes along with white rice, french fries, salad and one drink and the restaurant even had a small band that consisted of two men and two small kids that were very entertaining. Like I said the experience was great. The negatives was that we were picked up at 5am and dropped off at the breakfast spot about 5:15 and the breakfast was average to below average. But since they were picking up others and different hotels we didn't end up leaving on the bus to Nicaragua until 7 am so I would have preferred to have driven to the location myself so I didn't have to sit around for two hours. The bus ride which includes the border crossing takes about 3 hours so be prepared. And it is sad to see the lifestyle of a lot of the people of Nicaragua but it is very annoying how many kids are annoyingly begging you especially after our guide told us that these kids make about $1000 a month from begging while the average hard working citizen of Nicaragua makes only about $600 a month. Our guide David was great and very knowlegable about Nicaragua since he is a native. I would recommend this trip because it is a great experience to see Nicaragua and some of these beautifual sites.