“A Great Place to Relax” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel RipJack Inn

You added Hotel RipJack Inn to your Saves list
Hotel RipJack Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100m al Sur de Hotel Las Tortgugas, Playa Grande, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Playa Grande
San Diego, California
“A Great Place to Relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My adult family and I spent several days at the Ripjack Inn this past
Christmas. The staff were very laid back yet helped us whenever we asked (in particular when my wife got stung by a scorpion while we were out and about). The rooms were comfortable and well air-conditioned and the place is situated close to the beach which is across the street and less than a minute's walk through the brush.

The food was adequate but honestly nothing really special. We also felt it was a bit expensive, but the $2 happy hour beer made up for a lot! Also, the barman was very kind by supplying me with ice and glassware which I used in my room for our own private cocktail hour.

After dinner, my son and I would buzz down the road to the next town to pick up some Havana cigars which we merrily chuffed each night on the patio of our room, watching the crabs stroll around and the geckos get fatter on moths.

Ripjack is a great beach destination, but be ready to slooooooooow down because other than the beach, there ain't much else going on! I'm glad we went, but once is enough for me.

-- Peter

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Beautiful hotel just across the street from the beach. The owners and staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating. The beach is renowned for its wonderful surfing and there are great surfing instructors available at a reasonable price to teach ya how. The rooms are nice and clean. The restaurant has wonderful selection and is very tasty. The drawbacks: it’s expensive! That should be expected tho in such a touristy area close to Tamarindo. Also, if you’re not surfing every day and don’t have the cash to spend on excursions (which the hotel can arrange for you) there isn’t a lot to do. Not that hanging by the beach is such a bad thing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Spent five days at the Ripjack Inn in Playa Grande for a surfing trip. Playa Grande is a really small town without alot going on. Dave and Annie run a great hotel that feels much more luxurious than the surroundings. Four culinary school trained shefs make dining in the upstairs restaurant a really tasty experience. They arranged pickup for us in Liberia, and had someone waiting for us even though we arrived after 11 pm. The rooms are clean and the beds super comfortable, the air conditioning powerful and the showers hot. The staff were all super friendly, and they let us keep a room well past checkout time so we could surf in the early afternoon, shower, clean up and have a cold beverage before heading back to Liberia. Excellent value and a standout place to stay, directly across the street from Playa Grande's long beach break, perfect for surfing.

Room Tip: The rooms and suites that are away from the central building are a little nicer, in my opinion, and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I've been back to reality for a few days now and I find myself day dreaming about the amazing food, the private hammock on the patio of our room, the very comforting amenities and awesome vibe that we had at the Rip Jack Inn. There was nothing better than waking up in the morning to take one of Annie's amazing Yoga classes, have a wonderful breakfast, take a walk into town, or just relax at the beach. If you’re a surfer, this is the place to be. You'll meet many other surfers looking to get on waves when they're just right. If you're not a surfer like me you'll enjoy everything the Rip Jack has to offer. The pool area is awesome and did I mention the hammocks?! If you want to get out to check out the rest of the country, the Rip Jack offers a number of options and Nubia was amazing with helping us out. We'll be back again!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel is amazing! On holiday we are supposed to slow down and unwind, right? We've seen pretty birds from the restaurant and monkeys nearby. Grounds are spotless, staff is friendly to one and all, restaurant has great food. Additionally the rooms are air conditioned to take a break from the heat, and it works well. Fresh smelling a/c rooms 50 meters from quality surf and a beautiful beach? Ripjack Inn is top notch!

Room Tip: Suites are great but all rooms are clean and comfortable. I have stayed I all of them.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The food was so delicious, I went back a second night for dinner. The English speaking staff was helpful, friendly, and patient.

The first night I had a spicy shrimp dish and the second night the Mahi mahi. I also treated myself to the flourless chocolate cake. I have had the pleasure of eating the best brownies on the planet from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, Michigan and El Quetzal in Mindo, Ecuador. This cake makes it a three way tie for best chocolate dessert!

I would go back here in a heartbeat!!!

Room Tip: I didn't stay at the inn, just had dinner. The staff if friendly and helpful and would be willin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was our second time staying at the RipJack Inn, this time we stayed for a week over Christmas. The hotel is simply the best place in Playa Grande area, we had a very nice laid back relaxing time. The hotel just has a nice vibe to it, everyone is friendly, the owners are great, rooms are great and the food is great and you are right beside one of the nicest beaches in the world. We like the place so much we are planning to have our wedding here next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel RipJack Inn? Share your experiences!