“Great location, awesome folks!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel RipJack Inn

You added Hotel RipJack Inn to your Saves list
Hotel RipJack Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50m Al Sur de Oficna de Minae, Playa Grande, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
30% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Playa Grande
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tampa
“Great location, awesome folks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I just stayed here last week with another couple in the Bungalow Suite. The suite was perfect for us because there's french doors that separate the bedroom from the living room which was nice in case someone wanted to make it an early night and go to bed, then we would just keep the doors shut. The room has a nice flat screen tv, a small refrigerator, coffee maker and air conditioning in each room. Although there was no phone in our room, all we had to do was go to upstairs to the bar at the restaurant, and the staff took care of any requests we had right away. The bar/restaurant was absolutely beautiful with a hammock there (how cool is that?!) and food was to die for. Happy hour was pretty cool and had a good selection of beer and liquor. The staff, including the owners were extremely accomodating. I finally got to meet Annie (one of the owners) my first morning there at yoga class and she treated me like she knew me all her life, so sweet and welcoming. The rest of the staff was great and they were all really nice, laid back people, just like the hotel. I gotta say the waiter named Eric was our absolute favorite! He always went out of his way to greet us and made sure we were always taken care of, and he makes a killer mango daquiri made from fresh mangoes! The location of this place couldn't be more perfect, the walk to the beach is a beautiful little trail and only like 20 seconds long if that. The beach is so close that I could hear the waves as I lounged by the pool. Playa Grande beach is absolutely breath-taking, with a lot of surf which was cool because my boyfriend and my friend's husband that traveled with us are both surfers. The surf was consistent with nice crystal clear water, especially around high tide. There's also other cool bars and places to eat within walking distance, especially if you want authentic Costa Rican food. I highly recommend this place and I've been day dreaming about it ever since...we'll definitely be going back...

Room Tip: When sleeping in the bungalow suite, you can hear these seed things that fell from the palm trees an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This was my first time in Costa Rica and boyfriend has been there once before. He likes more rustic trips and I like luxurious hotels. Ripp Jack Inn was my choice, because it was low-key (which he likes) and had great reviews on hospitality, service, food and activities.

The hotel is in Playa Grande; there is a pathway to the beach. The beach is quiet with a handful of surfers and hotel guests at a time. We had a car, which allowed us to travel outside the town and come back to a quiet area. The Inn's restaurant has the best food in the area. We ate out sometimes, but were happy to wake up to a great breakfast and finish our day with an amazing dinner at the Ripp Jack Inn.

The waiters, bartender and chefs were nice and friendly. We hung out with some of them the last night of our trip. They owners Dave and Annie have a good crew. Dave and Annie e-mailed with me before the trip and alleviated any and all of my concerns. When I got there, they were warm and friendly and gave my boyfriend and I directions to where we wanted to go outside of Playa Grande. They also set up tours for us (which turned out to be private and amazing). They really know what they are doing at the Ripp Jack Inn.

Also, the yoga instructors are awesome. I took a couple classes and was even turned onto a yoga class on a long board in Las Catalinas. I wouldn't have had the same experience if I stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms under the restaurant are a bit noisy until about 9 pm.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

The RipJack was amazing!! I was a female surfer traveling alone and I could not have picked a better place. The rooms are really clean, the staff is so nice, and the food is incredible! It was a dream come true vacation for me. The location could not be better..as the beach is so close and the Surfing was amazing!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

RipJack Inn is an excellent option in Playa Grande - while it's the only place I've stayed - I'd argue that it's the best. The location is unbeatable. The rooms and grounds are very updated and clean. The restaurant is great. The other guests tend to be friendly, laid back, and non-pretentious. It's easy to become friends with them after a few days - the same can be said of the staff that works there. They get to know you immediately and become your friends during your stay.

My wife and I enjoyed a super relaxing week in which I was able to surf a ton, my wife practice yoga, and the two of us spend tons of time kicking back.

Two somewhat minor knocks on RipJack during our stay - both which were small disappointments related to a theme of surprises. 1. Half of our stay was during Easter week. We were surprised to learn that when we arrived, there would be no yoga classes during the second half of our stay. 2. Get to dinner at the restaurant on the early side. On two different nights, my wife and I arrived and they had run out of food. Once was at 7pm - and they open at 6pm. Possibly understandable though - given the fact that the food was always very fresh and Playa Grande is quite remote - it can't be easy to manage the supply chain. Just something to be aware of though.

All said - Loved our stay, would absolutely stay again and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Bungalow is excellent - was especially good for my wife and I since I would wake around dawn to go s...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This hotel is in Costa Rica, but it is totally American. Traditional Costa Rican hospitality it lacks not only in ambiance, but in graciousness as well, I'd say it is perfect for surfers, young couples without kids, and those who want to feel they are "at home" due to the American staff. Room was adequate and the newer rooms looked fine. The restaurant was closed - but the bar was filled with "locals" and expatriated sorts that seemed to barely speak Spanish. The few other hotels next to it seem to be more of the same - the lone surfer standing in a doorway, the bar next door playing the same reggae music over and over - it's a kind of twilight zone - another world apart from the Costa Rica most tourists enjoy. If you are looking for a more traditional Costa Rican hotel, with room service, regular meals, and more family oriented activities - this place may not be for you. But the beach is lovely and I am sure it is a fine place for the right kind of people.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Irvine, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

This was the perfect place for 3 guys on a surf trip. We stayed in the bungalow and it was a great size for 3 (easily could fit more) - its a stand alone structure. Only issue was WiFi was spotty (but I'm thinking thats the case for most of the rooms).

The staff was incredible. Felt like you were staying with family. The restaurant/bar served great food and drinks and again, everyone made you feel like you were a friend.

Google says its 300m to the beach but I would argue its about 100. Path ends right at the main peak but you can easily walk 50y in either direction to get to a less crowded spot.

Can't recommend this place highly enough.

Room Tip: Bungalow is great for the money. Perfect fit for three guys (futon wasn't super comfortable but...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Kona, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Our fourth trip to the Ripjack Inn. I guess you could say we love it! We have stayed in all of the types of units for our family of 3. All are stylish, and clean. The units under the restaurant have small bathrooms, but have what you need. The staff make this place great, I love seeing the same faces year after year. Nubia, Myra, Eric, Andy, Tabitha, Johnny, and the amazing kitchen staff cranking out some awesome food. The menu is somewhat limited if you're staying a week like we do, but there are other dining options in the area. We found the dinner portions enormous and shared quite a few entrees. The beach is across the street, and a one minute walk away. You come through the trees, and WOW! Walking the beach at low tide is awesome, because at high tide you will want to surf! Sunsets, yoga, wine, hammocks, wildlife......I highly recommend booking tours throught the hotel with Oriole Tours, and the most awesome guide Gustavo. He is highly knowledgable and takes great pride in his country. A joy to travel with. For adrenalin, the adventure tour has ziplines, waterslide through the forest, followed by lunch, then horseback ride to the waterfall with a short hike and then onward by horseback to the thermal pools, sauna, and mudbaths. For the nature tour you take a ride by boat on the Tempesque River to see crocodiles, interact with whiteface monkeys, and birds galore. These tours include transportation, guide, lunch and activity. We normally book a car through the hotel for half of our trip to drive around, we recommend Adobe rental car. What can I say? My husband, 12yr old son, and I look forward to this trip every year. The waves are awesome, the staff, and our friends Dave and Annie are to be congratulated on their hospitality!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel RipJack Inn? Share your experiences!