“Italy In Costa Rica” 4 of 5 stars
Review of "CAFE DEL PUEBLO" RESTAURANTE Y PIZZERIA

"CAFE DEL PUEBLO" RESTAURANTE Y PIZZERIA
Carretera principal esquina Cabo Velas | Open Monday - Saturday, Playa Grande 50309, Costa Rica
+506 2653 2315
Description: OPEN MONDAY TO SATURDAY, FROM 5 TO 10 PM
Mahwah, New Jersey, United States
“Italy In Costa Rica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We spent our last night in Costa Rica at Cafe Del Pueblo and we enjoyed every bite. The staff was warm and greeted us like friends when we arrived. The ambiance is as inviting as the menu. They have a lovely bar if you have a wait or just want to sit and sip. The specials filled a black board and the menu was awesome. Our server guided us through cocktail selections, fruity and spirited and let my boys, 12 & 15 ask her about her favorites. Everything was fresh!!! Authentically Italian from the pizza to the fresh pasta...and desert well make sure you order that too...We had salads; pizza appetizer; lobster ravioli and a pappardelle in vodka sauce with pancetta followed by gelato...One of the most amazing observations about being in Costa Rica is that a 4-star restaurant is casually inviting and does not have to be bigger than your front porch but the food and the staff are more than you would find in a 5 star state side....

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
“4 visits in two weeks...and can't wait to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

In August 2012 we went to Cafe Del Pueblo on our last night in Costa Rica. We loved it and were so sad we hadn't been earlier. This August we returned to Costa Rica and one of our first meals was at Cafe Del Pueblo. They didn't disappoint! We returned several times this trip and happily recommended them to other visitors in the area...one family ate every single supper there while in Playa Grande!
The pizza is delicious, like true italian pizza. Tasty sauce, thin crispy crust.
The calamari diablo is fantastic, not at all the rubbery garbage often served elsewhere and the sauce it comes with is so tasty!
We had the mussels one night and they were also good. The bread was fresh and the sauce was so flavourful, you just couldn't help sop up the extra sauce. Some of the mussels weren't opened, so I avoided them, which was fine because the serving was large enough that the few mussels I missed out on weren't even missed.
The true star is the pasta though. The seafood pasta - lots of seafood, flavourful sauce, fresh pasta. Hands down my favourite dish, it was a challenge not to order it every time we came.
The lobster ravioli was amazing! I was sorry it wasn't on the specials board again when we came back as I had only had one bite off my husbands plate.
The tagliatelle pasta with the white wine sauce and prosciutto is another awesome dish, my daughters favourite.
The salads here are so fresh and tasty.
Once you get through all the amazing meals, they also have gorgeous homemade italian ice cream!! Our kids were in heaven!
One thing we came to realize is that the restaurants in Costa Rica aren't cheap, you pay similar to what you might pay in a sit down chain restaurant at home (in Canada). The difference is the quality of the meal you get in Costa Rica for that price is more like what you'd get at an expensive gourmet restaurant at home.
Alexandra is the owner and she makes you feel right at home, hugs for everyone, always so appreciative of your business. It's like she doesn't know she's got the best restaurant in Costa Rica!!

• Visited August 2013
Costa Rica
“Did not disappoint!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

After reading lots of reviews, we chose Café del Pueblo for our last night dinner at the beach. It was delicious and did not disappoint. The bruschetta served on homemade baguette was fabulous as an appetizer. My kids ordered the pizza- fabulous, thin crust with a great sauce. My husband ordered the seared tuna with mustard sauce- he loved it. I ordered a corvina (sea bass) with a tomato sauce with capers and olives to die for...it was so delicious. Next time I am in Playa Grande I will order some fresh bread to go with the meal to soak up the nummy sauces. The ambiance was lovely. Alessandra was very hospitable and welcoming. There was not a crumb left on any of our plates. Delicious!

• Visited July 2013
Playa Grande, Costa Rica
“Top notch food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Cafe del Pueblo is the epitome of gastronomic delight. We've eaten here many times and each time is the same. Excellent food and amazing service. The tagliatelle with vodka and bacon is incredible. The raviolis are something to write home about. The salads are super fresh. The owner Alexandra is always there and always greeting people with warm smiles and friendly hugs. Ashley is on top of everything so our drinks were being refilled and we never had to wait for anything. I recommend this to any and everybody who is staying in Playa Grande.

• Visited July 2013
Breckenridge, Colorado
“Better pasta than NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Oh my gosh. I miss this food. One of the best dinners I have ever had, ever, anywhere! The homemade pasta was truly superb. I am a native New Yorker, and super picky about my Italian food. I can't believe how amazing this place was. great prices, amazing meals.

Visited April 2013