“Wonderful Time” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Calgary, AB
“Wonderful Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

I just wanted to write this letter letting you all know of the excellent service my wife and I received by Jerry, the front desk clerk. While we were vacationing in Costa Rica I broke my ankle and Jerry was fantastic at taking care of us, and helping us receive all the help we needed to arrange for a doctor to come look at my ankle. He also helped us get in contact with our emergency travel insurance and helped my wife arrange for wheelchair service at the airports on our way home. He was always smiling and very friendly, even if we were just walking through the lobby.

I'd also like to thank Chef David who took the time to look at my broken ankle and was more then willing to do anything we needed to make our vacation as memorable as possible. Not only is he a wonderful chef, he always took the time to talk to the guests at mealtime, and by the pool, to make sure we had anything we needed to make our stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort as comfortable and relaxing as possible.

We have stayed at many resorts and have never come across any employees that are so helpful and willing to go above and beyond for a guest. I'd just like to say thank you again, and we will be highly recommending the Flamingo Beach Resort to all of our family and friends.

Hope to see you both again, as we'd love to come back and stay at your resort again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Warnerville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

In early March, I traveled with my partner and her daughter to the Flamingo Beach Resort and Spa in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. Our experience in Costa Rica was simply put, incredible. Right from the start, the people at the Liberia airport were warm and welcoming. It was a sign of things to come. Once we arrived at the resort, we found friendly and incredibly helpful people at every turn. Though we didn't have a room with a view of the ocean, the room was just right. It wasn't over the top spectacular, but it was perfectly comfortable. We had a small kitchen which allowed us to prepare some lunches and breakfasts for ourselves. Getting food at local markets wasn't easy, as there are no large stores in the immediate (walking) area. However, once we rented our vehicle, we were able to shop enough for the food we needed.

Having said this about preparing our own meals, I don't mean to say that eating at the restaurant in the resort isn't a good choice. Far, far from it! Nearly every night found us at the restaurant, enjoying impeccably prepared food. Whether it was the buffet or from the menu items, we were never, ever disappointed. The wait staff made things so wonderful for my partner's daughter. It was like we were spending time with favorite friends! We quickly became acquainted with David Smith, the executive chef, as he made it a point to meet and greet all the guests. He was helpful in so many ways, and was so eager to insure that our experience in Costa Rica was positive.

As for the rest of the resort, our time was divided between the pools and the beach. The latter was very clean and the water was beautiful. The waves were impressive, and were a bit challenging when either my partner or I ventured into them with the little one. All the same, the beach was beautiful, and the sunsets were stunning. Back at the resort, we never felt that we weren't welcome, or that our presence was a burden. We were treated like royalty by the staff, and by the wonderful people who worked the bar at the pool. It wasn't easy leaving these new friends behind when we departed. One warning: If you're looking for a party all night resort, don't come here. It's on the quiet side...perfect for families.

As for Costa Rica, we found the people to be warm and helpful with our desire to see the country. The concierge at the resort set us up for a day spent with the Palo Verde Boat Tour company. The day included a drive through the rainforest to the river at the heart of Palo Verde National Park. We were taken on a covered boat for an incredible 2 hour tour on the river. We were able to see a plethora of species and beautiful countryside. Our guide on the way back to Ortega (where the tour began) provided us with some extra exciting stops to see more wildlife. Then, when we reached the town, we were treated to a fantastic lunch provided as part of our tour. All the food was home-made and simply delicious. Again, leaving these welcoming, pleasant people was difficult.

In sum, we will never forget our FIRST trip to Costa Rica. I would return to Guanacaste and to the Flamingo Beach Resort and Spa in a second! Simply put, it will be tough to go elsewhere next time we travel to the tropics!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

My husband and I decided to get married on a tropical beach in Costa Rica. We chose Flamingo Beach Resort based on all the fabulous reviews we read... and we wouldn't have changed it for the world.

From the moment we got there till the moment we left. The staff were polite and courteous. They all spoke very good english and were always smiling. I have to say, Costa Rican people are the nicest people I have ever met.

The hotel is beautiful. Clean, maintained, tropical, lots to see and do. The rooms were very nice. I saw many different rooms because we were a group of 12, and each room was a little different but all very cozy. I have to say though, our room was the best! Honeymoon suite cannot be beaten. We did stay in an Oceanview room for a night and it was to die for!

Juan Carlos was our wedding coordinator and he was fabulous. He made it so easy for a stressed out bride accross the world to remain at ease. He ensured me that it would all be so easy and taken care of. He couldn't have been more right. He made this day absolutely perfect for us. THANK YOU JUAN CARLOS.

Chef David was the BEST! I think my favorite person there! The Arenas Restaurant had some of the best food I have ever eaten. A gourmet breakfast day after day, lots to choose from for lunch (the chicken quesadillas were my favorite) and dinner always made your mouth water. If you visit Flamingo Beach Resort, be sure to say "Hi," to the Chef for us and request the Chicken Parm... best I have EVER had! Chef David was more than a chef though. He was the personality, and smiles that lit up the resort day after day. He was personable, wanted to make sure that everything was as good as it could be.

I could really go on and on about how much of a great place this is but you should really just choose this resort, cause we all know you are on here trying to decide where to go... FLAMINGO BEACH RESORT & SPA is the place to be!

Thank you everyone, who made our wedding and honeymoon, more than we could have ever imagined it would be! Thanks for the bottle of champaigne, the breakfast in bed and the fresh fruit platters!

Sheena & Chris Ryckman
Ontario, Canada
April 2010

• Stayed April 2010
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

We just got back home from a week stay at the resort (May 1-8) and we also got married there on May 3rd. We miss it so much already and cannot wait to return. We hope to make it out next year for our anniversary. We could not have asked for a better location to have our ceremony and reception. The beach just outside the resort was amazing and had beautiful sunset views. We have the most amazing wedding photos as a result! Our reception was held at the Sunset Lounge just above the restaurant and it was the perfect spot. The Executive Chef was so amazing and gave us a fantastic menu. From the moment we first arrived to when we left we were treated so wonderfully by all the staff and so were the 14 guests that we travelled with. We had booked a pool view room but were upgraded to the very large and beautiful moneymoon suite which was just wonderful.

We were on the all-inclusive plan and the food was pretty good. We wished it would have changed a little bit though, but we did venture just across the street from the resort to I believe they were called Angelina's (best pizza ever!) and Maria's (best quesadilla and pina colada ever!) The drinks at the pool bar and especially the bartenders there were great and we never had an issue.

We booked the ziplining and hot springs tour to Arenal Volcano and while it was a long trip out there (about 4 hours) it was well worth it. Amazing views and an incredicle experience ziplining with the nicest instructors.

It you want to learn to surf contact Point Break Surf. Matt and his wife Natasha run this surf school and it was such a great experience and very reasonably priced. There were 10 of us in our group surfing and 3 others that came along just to watch. They picked us up at the hotel and took us about 30 minutes away to Playa Grande. There is even beer at the end of the lesson, you couldn't have asked for more. I highly recommend it!!

We very much enjoyed our week at this resort, especially the service, the pool, and the beach. We will for sure be returning.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

I just got back from a week at the Flamingo Beach Hotel and I have never had a more relaxing vacation. The hotel is small so the staff really gets to know you and goes out of their way to ensure that all of your needs are met. We paid for the all inclusive and it was definitely worth it. The food was great and there are also several restaurants/bars nearby so you aren't stuck to the resort. I definitely recommend watching the sunset at Mar y Sol, the view is beautiful. There are tours available if you want to see the sites but if you're looking for more time to just relax and enjoy the sunshine and beach then this is definitely the place to go.

Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

My nephew and his fiancé chose this resort for their destination wedding. It is a beautiful clean and spotless resort with friendly staff that goes out of their way to make sure you are safe and well looked after. We were served cold drinks as soon as we walked into the hotel lobby which was very welcoming and refreshing after our long flight and bus ride.
The planner at the resort did a fabulous job and went beyond and above to provide not only a romantic but a beautiful environment for the wedding. Everything was exquisitely done!!! The service on the beach, decor, dining room, dinner, wedding cake and disc jockey. Highly recommend!!!

Chef David at this resort is remarkable! In the week I was there I never had one thing that I did not like. A fabulous variety of foods for every taste bud. The chef personally checked with every guest to make sure their meals were to your liking and if you needed anything more. If it was a special occasion the chef would prepare a cake IE: birthday. Unfortunately, some of the staff did not completely understand the guest’s English requests for items on the menu. This resort only has one restaurant open from 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. There were no other snack bars or bbq’s by the pool, etc.

The shops in the hotel lobby area where well stocked and their prices were not inflated. A group went to Tamarindo and the souvenirs were the same price as the Flamingo's shops.

There were only 2 days that I was aware of any known day organized activities at the resort, water exercises one day and one afternoon a salsa lesson. There was one night of evening entertainment, karaoke, Spanish karaoke, as the English selection was very limited. If you wanted to do anything after dinner other than go for a swim, you would have to go off of the resort.

You could book any tours through the hotel Concierge and Air Canada Vacations had their agent Mon and Wed. All the tours where good value and reasonably priced.

I did get a good package rate for this resort and based on that rate I would recommend this resort. It is beautiful, quite and relaxing.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Newmarket, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

My beauftiful girlfriend had just graduated University so I took her to Costa Rica to propose to her. I couldnt think of a more beautiful place to do it, and we loved our time at this resort. This is our first time at a 3 star, but it is one of the best vacations regardless.

Flight: We booked through Sears Travel/Air Canada. Excellent flight as always through Air Canada and great movies to keep us occupied for the 4.5 hour flight. Only complaint is that their airline now only accepts credit card for food and beverage purchases. Also the days of a free meal are long over I guess...no biggie!

Check-in/Service: Check-in was quick and painless and our luggage arrived to our room only about 5 minutes after we arrived.

Room/Grounds: Room was fairly small but had a super comfortable bed and decent enough bathroom. Lots of space for our belongings. The location was on the top floor and poolside with a view of the pool and the ocean. It was about a 2 minute walk to the pool and restaurant, and 4 minute walk to the beach. The hotel grounds were not pristine but it had not rained since November, and they were still very nice.

Food: The food we had on the resort was some of the best food I have had on vacation. While there was only 1 restaurant, you could order off the menu or eat buffet. Generally I would just eat the buffet for breakfast and order off of the menu for the other meals. There was a small upcharge for a couple of the items, but there was more than enough to not even bother with them anyway. Chef David Smith was a constant presence around the hotel and took pride in his job and made you feel very welcome. We also dined at the Mar Y Sol which has the most beautiful view at sunset...this is where I asked my girlfriend to marry me. The food was TOP NOTCH and the price reasonable. Excellent mojitos to be had here.

Bars: This is one area that lacked. There was only the pool bar and the rooftop bar. The rooftop bar stayed open until 10pm, and 12am on weekends. There was no real nightlife nearby to speak of, and we decided not to take the cab to Tamarindo or Liberia to party.

Beach/Ocean: Very big beach area. It felt like you were on a post card. The waves were huge and so much fun to mess around in. 5-star beach for sure!!

Excursions: The excursions were excellent. First we went on the Arenal 2 day excursion which included an awesome view of the volcano erupting, huge zip-lines through the jungle and a trip to the Baldi hotsprings, which were awesome. We stayed overnight with a view of the volcano right from our jacuzzi tub in our room. The next day we took a boat across Arenal Lake and drove up the insane monkey trail...I thought we were going to die...lol. We went on a coffee plantation tour, visited the butterfly and hummingbird garden and finally took a long hike on the hanging bridges in the rainforest canopy. All this for only $350 each through CRT, and the food on the excursions was AMAZING! We also tried surfing through point break surf, which was really enjoyable and affordable at $45 per person. Thanks Matt and Natasha!!!

Another unforgettable trip!!! :)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!