“Fun place to find fun people” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Beachfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Playa Flamingo
Kalamazoo, MI
“Fun place to find fun people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

Everyone here is spectacular. You must meet Karla, Elias, Glenda, and if you're so inclined...Manuel. The food is not particularly fantastic, but watch out if Elias makes you a drink! Order a caparena and you'll be hooked! Spectacular views and the beach is just as fantastic as all the reviews say. Plan to leave the resort for a tour, we HIGHLY suggest Javier Vargas Morales. He's not associated with the hotel, and that's probably to his credit. Pacific Coast Diving has poor customer service and the excursions are disappointing. Javier's trips are unique and his knowledge of the area is exhaustive. He makes a personal connection with his guests and we spent our entire week hanging out with Javier and his driver Carlos (Uncle Charlie). Contact Javier and Carlos at ph. 8386-5414. We have high hopes for the food and beverage director, he seemed to be making improvements from day 1. Angelina's (across the street) has amazing cuisine. The ambiance and menu can't be beat for the value in Playa Flamingo.
WARNING! "All inclusive" is misleading. Be sure that you can prove EXACTLY what your rate includes. Upon arrival the resort enformed us that we had not purchased an all inclusive package and that the name of the resort is in fact "Playa Flamingo All Inclusive Resort." We were able to contact Hotwire and clarify the package that we had purchased (which was in fact all inclusive), but many of the guests we met at the resort had not been so fortunate. Read your confirmation very carefully, you will need to prove that you purchased an all inclusive trip.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

1,168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

Stayed at the Flamingo Beach Resort for 7 days for our honeymoon at the end of Feb.2009. It is a smaller hotel which is what I wanted to experience after vacationing at larger all inclusive 4-5 star resorts in the last few years in different countries. Our package included the all-inclusive plan, which is optional if you just book the hotel.

We arrived in the evening when the manager was off. The next morning I asked if it is possible to receive a complementary room upgrade for our honeymoon. Robinson and Janet at the front desk were so helpful, they put in the request with Franciso the manager, who upgraded us to an awesome suite for the week! It was more than I had hoped for :)

The best thing about the hotel is the beach is right across the street. The waves are awesome for boogieboarding, and the sunsets really are amazing. It is a white sand beach which is rare in Costa Rica.

There are restaurants and a few stores about 2 minutes walk away from the resort. Also we saw a disco/bar and casino, offering texas hold'em. There is only one restaurant at the hotel, offering buffet about half the time we were there. You can also order off the menu under the all inclusive plan - surcharge applies for some dishes. I always found something to eat, and they have theme nights. Snacks can be ordered at the pool bar (same lunch menu as the restaurant). Even with the all-inclusive plan you have to sign for everything you consume. Nothing was charged on our bill when we checked out. The staff were nice and seemed like happy people. We tipped 1-2USD 4-5 times a day, plus tips for the maid.

The lounge closes at 10PM on weeknights and midnight on Fri & Sat. Overall pretty quiet not many people hanging out. The tour operator said Flamingo was only ~ 50% full when we were there. We purchased some alcohol and snacks from the convenience store 2 minutes away and enjoyed in our room when needed.

There is a casino on site, not part of the all-inclusive but there is complementary alcohol if you gamble. Also spa services are available. We enjoyed a couples massage.

Tours:
1)Arenaline combo - on day 5 (booked through the Signature vacations rep on the 2nd day, tour operated by hotelbeds, $120USD/person). Early start pick up at 5:30AM, back to the hotel 5PM. Drove ~ 2.5 hours one way to the Ricon de la Vieja vincinity. Total ~ 24 people from the Allegro Papagayo. It was a really fun trip and my husband had a blast. Included ziplining, repelling, swinging like Tarzan, rock climbing, horsebackriding, waterfall, hot spring ponds, and lunch. Long pants and mosquito repellent are very useful for this trip.
2)Arenal Volcano One day tour - on day 6 (booked via email before arriving in Costa Rica, tour operated by Carlos Jiménez at Ecoexplorers, private tour $135USD/person). Pick up at 7:30AM, back to the hotel before 11PM. Drove ~ 3 hours one way to Arenal Lake/Volcano area. Included a great lunch and dinner, rainforest walk and hot springs at Ecothermals. Carlos sighted various animals and birds throughout the trip for us to observe. Carlos is so great to deal with and responded to emails quickly and provided very useful information and tips. I would recommend if you prefer a more personal tour/in smaller groups. We felt it gave us more flexibility to go at our own pace.

We were picked up at the hotel 4 hours before departure by Signature vacations (included 0.5 hour waiting time at the hotel). Drove ~ 1 hour to the airport. Took about 1 hour to get through the process.

The trip was perfect for us, I still remember the magnificent sunsets and the sound of the ocean from our room.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

We were greeted promptly and shown to our room, which was lovely; it looked out over the pool. The pool area was spectacular; the beach was literally across the street. There was a great New Year's Eve party, with a dinner buffet, live music, and fireworks; I've never seen any place have such an elaborate party! I didn't go on any tours but members of my family did. Some went horseback riding, ATV driving to the canopy where they used zip lines to see the view, and snorkeling; they were very enthusiastic about all of the excursions. This was a trip I'd definitely repeat.

• Stayed January 2009
New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

We were married in January and it was fantastic! Our expectations were exceeded.

The food was excellent and reasonably priced. The menu is not extensive, but fresh local ingredients were well prepared by the kitchen. The ceviche was top notch. The kitchen also did a great job on the wedding catering.

We can certainly recommend a wedding event or vacation at this site. The wedding planner was extremely helpful and spoke fluent english, along with most of the staff. All of our guests had a great time.

This resort is really a gem. It's not a 'luxury' resort, but it is has everything needed for a wonderful vacation at a decent price: Clean rooms, big pool, scenic beach, and tastey food!

• Stayed January 2009
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

I went to Costa Rica with my boyfriend from Feb. 4th - Feb. 9th. I did A LOT of research before booking the Flamingo Beach Resort and was very skeptical. When I got there I was impressed. It is not a 5 star hotel but it was a lot nicer than I expected. The hotel has a great modern lobby, pool area, swim up bar. The casino was open when I went and had many visitors. Both nights the blackjack tables were full. They are still under construction though and working on making it better. The rooms were big and did the job. We did tours during the day so were barely in the room. The electricity went out a few times but only for a minute at a time. I am not sure if this always happens or it happened b/c of the storm taking place while we were there, however, this did not bother me or affect my time. The food at the hotel is average. My favorite restaurant was the Golden Shrimp. We loved it so much we went there twice. I also went to Mar Y Sol - which has a GREAT view and sushi among other dishes. The Happy Snapper had HUGE dishes and a really nice band playing. I also ate at Angelica's which had a great bar and scene and had Marie's for breakfast one morning which was good as well. As far as tours, we did the Lazy Lizard Sunset Cruise - which I highly recommend. My only real complaint was that the tour desk at the hotel disappointed me. Due to the storm we had the Buena Vista Tour canceled on once and then the following day I got up at 6:30 and tried to cancel the Tour desk to see if the tour was still on and was not able to get in touch with them. Later on we were told the tour was on. It was very unprofessional of them. I did wind up trying to break up that one big tour into little tours. I went zipling about 20 minutes away which was very fun. I went on a horseback riding trip recommended through Claudia (above sub shop). Claudia is fantastic! My boyfriend took a surf lesson in Playa Grande which he loved. The weather is fantastic. Although it was 95 degrees there was no humidity so you never felt overwhelmingly hot. I would highly recommend staying at the Flamingo Beach Resort. I had a very good time. Lots to do. Please feel free to contact me if you have any suggestions. I would be more than happy to help.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

I went to Playa Flamingo Resort with my boyfriend for a week for a romantic and fun getaway and we were not disappointed. We did the all inclusive package which we really liked (although we met other people who did not do all inclusive and were also happy). The best part about the all inclusive (besides the drinks) was that you could either order off the menu or do the buffet - the theme of which changed daily. It really kept the food interesting over 7 days. The food was also really very good. I highly recommend the guacamole, the chicken and rice, and the chicken quesadillas.

The rooms in the hotel were very clean and large. The water pressure was a little low sometimes, but definitely not unbearable. We had a balcony that looked over the pool which was beautiful at night. We also loved the pool in the back of the hotel - perfect for time in the shade and pool volleyball (you could also borrow a ball from the front desk).

The staff at the hotel was very friendly and was able to answer all of our questions. The only bad thing was that we were charged on our final bill for two items from the minibar that we did not use, but once we brought it to the front desk's attention the charge was removed. I also wish that the bar stayed open past 10 p.m. on weekdays, but the casino was under renovations when we were there and apparently will normally stay open later once it is completed.

The beach is literally right out the back of the hotel. It is a public beach but was not very crowded at all. The hotel also has boogey boards that you can rent for very cheap and we did that a couple of times during our stay. We got free snorkel gear with our all inclusive package but the fish scene right near the hotel was not tremendous, so we only used it once.

The company that partners with the hotel to do the excursions was awesome. We saw the volcano, the hot springs, the rain forest, went on a boat cruise through palo verde (really really great for animal lovers or those who want to see animals) and went surfing in Tamarindo and walked around the town. The tours were all fun and exciting, the guides (Alex and Gustavo) were amazingly knowledgeable and friendly, and they arranged transportation to and from everywhere for you easily. I would definitely recommend all three of these excursions. I would also recommend that you bring a waterproof watch on the trip because there are really no clocks anywhere and sometimes you do need to know the time on the beach or on your excursions.

Overall, I would definitely go back!!

• Liked — Food, convenient access to beach, excursion staff
  • Disliked — Bars closed a little too early, could have stayed open 1 more hour on weekdays
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

The natural beauty of Costa Rica as well as the staff of the Flamingo made our trip memorable! The staff (restaurant and bar) spoiled us and by the end of the week we felt like we were leaving old friends. The bilingual staff made communication easy. Not much to do past 10 p.m., however. Several activities to do during the day both at the hotel and through the day trips. The canopy tour was great, we saw monkeys napping in the trees. The day trip to Arenol and the hot springs allowed us to see a great variety including the rainforest, volcano(don't expect much activity) and the hot springs. The meals were great and the hot springs were out of this world! The Flamingo is the perfect location, just 20 feet from the beach with the best sunset in Costa Rica. Don't expect to get typical Central America prices, however. The cost of meals, etc. is similar to the U.S. Beers range from 2 dollars for an Imperial to 4-5 for a Corona. At a decent restaurant you will spend $75.00 for two people sitting in plastic chairs on gravel, but with an amazing view of the coast! The food at the resort is good, well worth the all inclusive price. Otherwise, the buffet would be around $25.00 per person. The city is very small with only 2-3 restaurants and a few small shops. The day trips are well worth it and allows you to see much of the countryside.

• Liked — The pool, staff and location to the beach.
  • Disliked — The town and limited night life.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!