“Great place for a family vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Morristown, New Jersey
“Great place for a family vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We just returned from Playa Flamingo on January 26 and I've been telling everyone I want to go home. (They get confused because I *am* home, so I have to tell them "I mean I want to go back to Costa Rica, and want it to be my new home.") Flamingo Beach Resort was our headquarters and because we were looking for a relaxing vacation, we rarely strayed from it. (*Next time* we'll do the ziplining, etc.) It is a lovely little resort that had everything we needed.

The hotel is immaculate, which made me happy because I had initially chosen another hotel that got not great ratings on this front. The rooms are not luxurious but they are very comfortable-- this is the second most comfortable hotel bed I've ever felt and even my Princess-and-the-Pea husband agreed. I do not like the fluorescent lights in the room but I understand this is environmentally friendly and we did not spend a lot of time in the room anyway.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I remember Augusto who welcomed us warmly at the front desk and Kistler who helped us depart in a timely manner. The concierge was very helpful too, and I want to give special thanks to the guys who man the pool bar. That is not an easy job; the bar is always crowded and they never got grumpy or impatient. I also think they probably need to be paid more as that situation was not conducive to generous tipping (it's hard to carry money in the pool!). The drinks were yummy and not watered-down. I'd also like to thank the security guards in front who helped my husband when he fell into a ditch on the main road.

We had the breakfast plan and the breakfast was more generous and had more variety than I've had under other similar situations. The bacon and coffee are delicious. It's one of the most pleasant settings I have ever eaten in and the couple of dinners we ate there were tasty. There are excellent restaurants within walking distance or shuttle distance too.

The bathrooms are clean and new and whatever they've done to the showers, they now work fine.

We had a room facing the gardens and road-- I had requested one because some reviews said it could get very loud at the pool area at night in high season. On the weekends, it got very loud (music) even on our side. I can only assume this was because of weddings or parties and I won't begrudge anyone their good time. It stopped at midnight which I found reasonable and acceptable.

The pool, beach and grounds were absolutely beautiful. If you are looking for a quiet shady getaway, check out the gardens on the road side, a spot few people seemed to know about. I did not find the vendors on the beach to be overbearing, btw.

While the bracelet system is not perfect, I understand the need for it because I have been to hotels with similar physical layouts where the facilities are overrun with non-paying people, and appreciated the fact that paying guests got precedence here and it felt safe enough to give my kids (14 and 10) a little more freedom than they are used to at home to wander. I also did not find the towel system to be prohibitive.

My only constructive criticism to the hotel is that you may want to give your foreign guests some additional options for getting in touch with you before and after the trip. I was unable to phone the hotel from my cell and email went unanswered. Before the trip I had a question about the facilities. After the trip there was a mistake on my debit card charges, and I was very concerned about this. The mistake was fixed so I can only conclude that the staff is honest and diligent, but additional communication options would be good.

All in all a wonderful trip and I'm already trying to figure out when I can come back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Flamingo B, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your thoughtful, complete and constructive review of your recent trip to the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa. We are delighted that you enjoyed it and want to come back and visit us again! At the same time, you bring up several areas in which we absolutely need to improve our service. Most important is the difficulty you mentioned regarding contacting the hotel. As an owner, it upsets me very much when our staff is not responsive to communications from guests. I will personally address this issue in my next meeting with management and make sure that any emails are responded to quickly as it can be difficult to call from the U.S. or other countries. Regarding the room lighting we do not use flourescent bulbs but energy saving lights that give off a similar kind of white light, which I agree is not optimum. I have instructed our maintenance engineer to look for better options, and we just purchased some lovely, warm-light energy-saving reading lamps that will be installed on the bedsides in all guestrooms the next few months as occupancy permits. We really appreciate your excellent feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Flamingo for a week in January 2013. We enjoyed our stay very much. The resort was clean and well staffed. The food in the restaurant was very good. We did not have the all inclusive but did have the breakfast buffet as part of our room package. Our room was a studio. Two beds with a pullout couch and kitchenette. The pool area was quite large and the beach was just a few steps away. The beach is a public beach but the area across from the resort did allow for beach chairs from the resort, which were usually available when we arrived on the beach. Several types of vendors in the beach area. We took advantage of the massage right on the beach under the trees. $20 for half hour - good bargain! Costa Rican people were very friendly either in the resort or at the nearby restaurants. Worst part of the trip was the trip from the airport to the resort. Approximately 1 hour. We rented a car and found driving in Costa Rica to be almost a free for all and the roads are not in the best shape but it seems they are trying to improve. If you rent a car, know that you must take their insurance - it is a law there. I would recommend this resort to anyone that travels to Costa Rica.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Flamingo B, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review of your recent stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comments and always read and discuss these reviews in our weekly staff meetings. We are glad you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and hope that you tried some other meals in our Arenas Restaurant and/or Sunset Lounge. We're sorry that you didn't like the ride over from Liberia Airport. The roads have improved so much from what they used to be, that sometimes we forget that they are still not up to U.S. standards! Glad you arrived safely and enjoyed your stay.
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Room with well equipped kitchenette, large sofa, comfortable chairs on a large balcony and an amazing view. Very friendly personnal, some of them even speaking french (my native language).
Acceptable food for breakfast and lunch. Nice private beach, but the hotel could not provide any chair. Three swimming pools. The mots sunny one, near the bar was overcrowded with kids and the water was cloudy. Another more secluded pool was fine.confortable seatings in the lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the bar are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us during your Costa Rica vacation. We are glad you enjoyed your visit overall, and appreciate your comments so that we can always strive to provide a better guest experience. We do provide beach chairs for our guests, so we are very sorry that in your case this amenity was not available for some reason. We also apologize that the pool was crowded with kids during your stay and the water cloudy. We clean and test it every single morning, but the large amount of suntan lotion that washes into the pool water really does a number on the clarity. We're happy you discovered and enjoyed our other more secluded pool area on the north side of the resort.
Camden, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Our family of 14, ranging in age from 4 to 71 are just back from a delightful 9 days at the resort. The staff is wonderful, the pool fabulous for all of us, the beach is gorgeous, the food is superb and we found the staff very willing to accommodate our two family members with dietary restrictions. We had a few days that we had planned 'off campus' activities, but otherwise we all were quite content to relax & swim in the multiple pools, or the ocean .. or walk along the beach.
Our evenings were often spent in the family center. And, they put on a really amazing New Year's eve party with a truly spectacular fireworks display. We were all sorry to depart.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
It's fantastic for us to hear of a multi-generational family enjoying our resort, as three generations of our own family have spent every New Year's holiday here. We have really tried over the years to offer something for everyone to enjoy. Our New Year's Eve party with the amazing fireworks display has become a Flamingo Beach tradition that hundreds of people come from near and far to enjoy-- but only our resort guests get a privileged "front row seat" to the show, along with dancing to a live band and DJ, a delicious buffet dinner and drinks. We are so happy to know that your entire family enjoyed it and hope that you come back and see us again! Thank you for sharing your review of your visit on Trip Advisor.
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We just returned as a family (with 2 teens) from a week at the Flamingo Beach Resort. The service was very good from the moment we arrived until we left. This is not a huge resort, which was great for us and it's beautifully laid out. The resort provides all you need (a concierge to book any excursion you want, a beautiful spa, a good restaurant overlooking the Pacific, large pool and swim up pool bar, gym, activities) and the proximity to the beach/ocean is wonderful! You can also walk to several restaurants close by, including one of the 10 best in Costa Rica. Our room was spacious (we had the Junior Honeymoon Suite), clean and quiet. This was our first visit to Costa Rica and we plan to return!

Room Tip: If you are a family, I would suggest the Family Studio or one of the larger rooms. For the addition...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your lovely review of the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and are especially happy that you plan to return! We pride ourselves on being a great destination for a family vacation and were so glad to be of service to yours.
tahoe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I traveled by myself in November to Costa Rica as a fact finding trip for moving my family here. Flamingo beach resort was a great deal in November. I paid only $80 for my room. I asked for a secure room as I was traveling alone and was given a huge room with 2 beds and a kitchenette, I didn't want a sliding glass door near the pool as they originally offered me. Everyone was super friendly, nice, helpful and generally seemed happy to work there. The rooms are very modern for a Latin American room. They have the typical tile floor but felt very warm with the furnishings and decorations. The bed and the linens were exceptionally good for a Latin American hotel. The bathroom was huge. The water pressure was low in the shower but adequate. They had great air conditioning and a nice tv. The lobby is very nice. A bonus...they greet you with a free frozen drink when you arrive! The pool was clean and refreshing with nice chairs. The beautiful beach is right across a small dirt road. I felt very safe here even traveling alone, walking on the beach, etc. I had an hour massage on the beach for $20. It was under the palms on a massage table. It was amazing! I believe the woman's name was Orfa. Technically I guess it's illegal but it was worth it (the masseuse could get fined, but no problems for you). I returned after a week to this same hotel and again had a very positive experience. I will definitely be back. The one downside...it has an all inclusive option and there were some obnoxious drinking people taking advantage of the all you can drink alcohol policy at the pool at one point.

Room Tip: Get a bigger room without pool view. The pool can be noisy and the rooms away from the pool seem to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had a great stay at the Flamingo. The beach was great- loved to watch the waves crash onto the shore. The room was nice. The spa was AMAZING! Wish the resort had more activities/ entertainment. The sunset lounge was a great place to eat- full menu- no reservation needed. Wait staff up there is great- amazing martini's

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Flamingo
#2 of 3 in Sardinal
4.0 of 5 stars 4,246 reviews
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!