“Our Favorite Vacation Spot” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Flamingo, Playa Flamingo 2050, Costa Rica   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
Baltimore, Maryland
“Our Favorite Vacation Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

I stayed at this resort several years ago and was surprised by some of the negative reviews I saw online prior to booking this trip, as I really enjoyed my trip the first time. Some of the reviews mentioned that the hotel had been rennovated, so I was excited to see the improvements that had been made since my last trip.

Here's the bottom line with this resort: If you expect a 5 star all-inclusive resort with all the bells and whistles, this isn't going to be the place for you. If, however, you're on a budget looking for a clean place to stay, friendly staff, good food and drinks, a good pool, and a beautiful beach, this IS the place for you.

We prearranged for a private hotel transfer from the airport to the hotel for about $70.00. We arrived a few hours before check-in, which is at 3pm, and the hotel let us change and hang out at the pool/beach while we waited, although we had to pay for drinks before 3pm, because that's when our all-inclusive started. The view from the lobby to the ocean literally takes your breath away. I immediately noticed some of the improvements: the bar and kiddie pool were covered with woven palm "tiki-type" huts now, and the outside restuarant expanded, added a second floor, and is now also covered in the same way. These improvements made such a difference in the ambience of the outdoor space--you really feel like you're in paradise from the moment you step foot outside!

As I mentioned before, we opted for the all-inclusive package. From my experience at Flamingo Beach Resort on my previous trip, I knew that the breakfast buffet at the resort would be excellent (tons of fresh fruit, amazing gallo pinto, bacon, sausage, hasbrowns, etc), the lunches decent (hamburgers, pizza, wraps, chicken and fish fingers, french fries, chicken and rice, etc.), and the dinners not much to write home about. But, we figured that for the extra $220 or so we paid per person for 6 days of the all inclusive, it would be well worth the money just to avoid the hassle of having to pay for everything out of pocket, even if we went into town for dinner a few times (which we did, at a cost of approx $50-$75 for two of us per meal). With the all-inclusive, you still get a "bill" at each meal and at the bar, which you have to "sign" to your room, but this was good because it helped us see how we were making out on the all-inclusive. Breakfasts "bills" ran us about $15 day (together), lunches about $20, and dinners about $30. We also had a few decent bills at the bar--one of which would have been about $70 US dollars. Given those, I'd say we made out well on the all-inclusive and--at a minimum--broke even.

We had a ground level room that faced the parking lot. It was big, but everything was basic. The bathroom was nice and large and looked like it had been recently updated. One thing that took a little getting used to was that room service came quite late in the day--usually between 3 and 5 pm for us. In hindsight, it actually wound up being a good thing because it meant that we tracked our sand in during the day as we were coming and going, and then had a nice clean room to fall asleep in at night. We used the hotel's wireless internet in the lobby several mornings to check-in at home and let our family know we arrived safely without having to run up expensive International phone bills, so that was a really nice ammenity.

The pool was great. It was never overcrowded, and the pool bar was a blast. It was so nice to swim up to the bar, sit down on a bench in the water, and just enjoy a few drinks in paradise. And it's even more beautiful at night. They light torches around the pool every night after the sun sets and turn colored lights on in the pool that create the most wonderful atmosphere--you really feel like you're in a special place.

We didn't participate in any hotel-sponsored activities, but they did seem to offer a decent amount. We paid for a horseback riding tour to Playa Conchal, but in hindsight, probably would have preferred not to do this because the horses seemed skinny and didn't seem to want to go out. We spent most of our ride feeling bad for the horses. Our guide was very friendly, though, and even stopped and got off his horse to take pictures of us on our horses on Playa Conchal.

We had a wonderful treat at dinner one night and got to enjoy an EXCELLENT reggae band while we ate. We later leaned that that band is there every Thursday, so we'd highly recommend that you plan to eat dinner at the hotel on Thursday nights to take advantage of this entertainment. We also got to hear a local costa rican band on Saturday night, and they were wonderful, too.

We spent about $8.00 one morning for a taxi ride to Playa Conchal (actually, the taxi has to drop you off at Playa Brasilito and you have to walk to the south to get to Playa Conchal--it's easiest to access the beach this way because the big hotel on Conchal Beach blocks most of the access to this beach) and spent 1/2 day there. Playa Conchal is so unique that I highly recommend that you spend at least a few hours here. The sand is composed of crushed shells and the water is crystal clear. Also, there is a little street market set up on Conchal every day where locals sell souvineers, so we did some of our shopping while we were there. We found one of the two-person moped taxis for the way back and spent about $6.00 to get back to Flamingo.

Check-out was a breeze, probably because we were all-inclusive. We simply had to turn our keys in and we were done. Two days before checkout, the hotel helped us arrange a transfer to Liberia airport. We were leaving at 4am, so we had to pay just a bit extra, and it cost us $75 to the airport.

Again, to summarize, Flamingo Beach Resort was a lovely place to stay, and we plan to come back again next year. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the food and drinks were generally excellent (with the exception of limited choices at dinner), and the rooms were clean. If you're an American used to the busy hustle-and-bustle of the daily grind, the biggest adjustment you're going to have to make is that you're FORCED to slow down here. Everything goes at a slower pace, including service at the restuarants and bars. GO WITH IT!!!! That's what vacation is all about, right?

Stayed April 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

We booked the Flamingo Beach Resort as a package deal through Cheaptickets.com. The price was great! We did not choose the all-inclusive option and would recommend others to do the same since the hotel food is rather pricey and nothing special. Plus there are lots of places near by to eat that are much better. The hotel is located across a small street from the beach. The beach had awesome sunsets and very powerful waves that knocked me over and scraped my knee on day 1. Be careful in the waves (there are other north and south of Flamingo Beach with fewer people and less violent waves). The hotel is quite beautiful. The pool and its surroundings are very nice. We weren't impressed with the pool bar which we found to be too expensive and too busy with all the guests who chose the all-inclusive option and were trying to get their money's worth. The lobby is also quite nice. Everything was very clean. The rooms were nicely decorated and full of amenities. Ours had a king sized bed, a chair and ottoman, a large bathroom, in room safe, hairdryer, a refrigerator, and cable TV with lots of channel options in multiple languages including English, Spanish, German and Japanese. Our room had a patio from which we could walk out to the main pool. The hotel has 2 pools and towels are provided. The main pool is quite large and it's hard to miss. The small, "recreation pool" is on the right side of the property (as you face the ocean) and has a volleyball net. Our room was very clean. There was no carpet so we often had dirt on the floor that we dragged in on our shoes, but it was mopped clean everyday. There's a nice Costa Rican crafts store upstairs from the lobby (they also often put up a tent near the main pool as well) from which I purchased some locally made jewelry and stamps for postcards. The front desk offers a currency exchange (there's also an ATM just up the hill from the hotel) and can arrange airport transportation ($70 one way for 2 people). Although, I'd recommend taking a cab from the airport when you arrive as you may get a very interesting ride on the Monkey Trail shortcut for the same price of $70 for 2 people. There is free wi-fi in the hotel lobby and at various mini-lounges in the hallways by the rooms. The exercise room was excellent, probably one of the better hotel exercise rooms we've seen. The hotel location was great as there were a decent number of bars, restaurants and a grocery store within walking distance and the area felt very safe walking around at night. Our only complaints about the hotel were that the walls were paper thin. We could hear everything our neighbors said as if they were in the same room with us (fortunately they were quiet while we were trying to sleep, so it wasn't really a problem for us). The hotel staff was also disappointing. It was hard to get information about the bars and restaurant (despite what the website says, there is only 1 restaurant). When we initially checked in, we were told about a happy hour at the bar, but when we asked a bartender about it, he initially denied that it existed and then vaguely admitted that it might occur around 5:30. The casino and "night club" were pretty lame so we didn't use them at all. We were also disappointed with the on-site dive shop (Pacific Coast Divers). Their website quoted a price of $80 for a 2 tank dive. When we inquired at the dive shop we were told $80, but when we went back to actually sign up, we were told it would be $90! We argued and got them to lower the price to $85, but were still annoyed. Overall we were disappointed with the dive shop and chose to dive with Aquacenter at the Flamingo Beach Marina hotel the rest of the week. They only charge $69 and take out smaller groups. We had a much better experience with them and highly recommend Aquacenter for diving. We booked 3 tours at the hotel tour desk (which is basically the same as the dive shop). Naldo at the tour desk gave a great overview of all the tours available (he also quoted us the lower price for the scuba diving and recommended a nearby bike rental which was great). We did tours to Arenal Volcano (rainforest tour, hot springs and volcano), Buena Vista resort (canopy tour, horseback riding, water slide and hot springs) and Nicaragua (which was very interesting and an unexpected option). The tours were all good, although all of the tour destinations are quite far from Flamingo Beach so they included long bus rides. The tour prices at the hotel's tour desk were the same or only slightly more than the prices I found online before arriving in Costa Rica. Overall we really enjoyed the Flamingo Beach Resort. It seemed to be the best hotel in the area (although there is a great deal of development going around nearby). We would definitely recommend it if you want to be near the coast. However, if you want to see Arenal volcano or do some of the rainforest tours, we recommend staying at hotels further inland near those attractions to avoid the long bus rides.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Paper thin walls
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

My fiance and I contemplated for many weeks about where to hold our wedding in Costa Rica. We had a few recommendations from our wedding planner, Weddings Costa Rica, and we narrowed it down to two hotels: Flamingo Beach Resort and Tamarindo Diria. However, we still did our homework and searched various reviews online and in books about the two hotels and others...and I must say we still had a tough decision. Both hotels had some bad reviews online... Well I know how important these reviews can be to someone who has to plan their wedding from abroad without a chance to view the location in person...so I felt compelled to write this review:

the Flamingo Beach Resort is an amazing locale for a wedding! It really suited the needs of everyone in attendance...there is a huge pool with plenty of lounge chairs around plus a few in the water, there is a shaded children's pool, a great swim up bar (although the drinks are over priced for CR), nice breakfast buffet , decent hotel food (but like other reviews I agree the food is not the best), however the food catered for our wedding reception was excellent!! and the staff are super helpful and friendly. Although it is not 100% accessible, the hotel does have an elevator b/w the lobby floor (you'll want to book room on this level) and the ground floor (pool level)...when booking room make sure to ask for room on lobby level because it does not access all floors of hotel. Unfortunately they don't have bathrooms equipped with shower chairs or benches so bring your own if needed. Also, one other piece of advice: the front entrance has many steps but if you ask nicely you can get dropped off at the back of the hotel, beach side, and then your loved one can access the hotel via the ground level thru the pool area and then up to the lobby via the elevator; this is a long walk but for someone in w/c this is the best route.

Also, I have to say that the spa/nail salon is not much to look at but my fiance and I got massages the morning of our wedding and I must say it was one of the best massages I've ever had!!

The reviews that have stated remarks about prostitution or other negative comments were completely false from our experience in Jan-Feb 2008. I will agree that it is an area mostly suited for tourists & the area is pretty quiet but I think it is perfect for a wedding--you'll bring the party!

Here is our only complaint about the Flamingo Beach Resort: in our contract with our wedding planner we specifically asked that only 3 specialty drinks be served during the cocktail hour and the reception to help cut costs. However, t/o the night all types of drinks and shots were being served but of course it was too late to stop it. Then at the end of the night the bill came for the drinks and we were absolutely floored at how much money it was! There had to be a mistake...so the next day my husband sat down with the hotel bar manager and then something strange occurred...my husband was shown a lower bar bill by the manager and so he was satisfied. Then when my father in law got the bill upon checking out it was right back up to the shocking total again. We asked to talk to the manager and after much discussion the manager printed a new bill and crossed off the total and wrote a new total in pencil on our bill. We were happy. However, after returning to the states my father in law noticed a second charge was added to his cc...for the remainder of the bar bill that we thought had been "crossed off" by the manager! A bit disappointing in the end since it felt as though we were scammed...but may have been an issue of miscommunication also...not sure?

Lets end on a good note: there is an amazing location for the wedding rehearsal dinner up the steep hill (I would not recommend walking there) from the Flamingo...the restaurant name is Mar Y Sol. They just finished adding a second story so we had the whole level to ourselves and Jean-Luc along with his staff prepared an amazing evening for us. They provided a shuttle for all of our guests to/from the restaurant. There is a beautiful bar upstairs and our guests were able to enjoy cocktails by sunset before dinner. Dinner was expensive for Costa Rica standards but it was well worth it in the end...we had 3 private chefs (incl Jean-Luc, the owner) cooking for us and us alone, there were linens, chair covers and floral centerpieces at no extra cost and the wine service t/o dinner was remarkable. Now, I haven't even got to the food yet...the food was amazing! We had only the best compliments from everyone!! It was the best steak I'd ever had and the chocolate volcano cake was devine!! It was truly an even in itself...Thank you Mar y Sol!!

• Liked — The pool and close location to the beach
  • Disliked — The honeymoon suite was in the basement...it was a bit musty and dark.
  • Stayed February 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Liberia, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

Please...please...if you really want to go to Flamingo Beach, try to stay at another hotel...please, save yourself some time and money...and don´t go to Flamingo Beach...should I say Resort...hmmmm...not really. If you make a reservation in advance.. it doesn´t matter if you made it a year in advance..I´m sure once you get there, even though your reservation is confirmed, they will treat you as a fool telling you they did tell you you were going to be moved to another hotel, which is not really close to it. For me is a lack of respect, and even though I know that sometimes hotels are overbooked, they should tell you in advance, and not once you get there, and by the way, don´t you dare to make an online reservation, everything will show as it is perfect, once you get there, sorry, no rooms available and probably "our online system wasn´t working right". You will be moved to the other hotel, which has no beach...and worst of all, even if its their mistake, they won´t give you a single compensation or even apology...don´t let them treat you as a fool...

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
FlamingoBeachGM, General Manager at Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2008
First of all I would like to apologize to this traveler and also thank him for writing this review. Our occupancy has grown very fast after our renovations and we really don’t want to inconvenience any of our clients, unfortunately we had to move this room to other hotel. It is always difficult to accept being moved to other property and also is difficult to give this notice to the client, however its our duty to do it right and make sure all guest are satisfied and happy, again my personal apology to this client. I will contact him to offer a fair compensation.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

*Front Desk
If you are expecting fast service take your VACATION in the states, you are on southern time, and people tend to go a little slower, relax and you will get checked in by some very nice people, ours took about 1/2 hour.

*Rooms
You get what you pay for. We did NOT pay the extra for a pool view/beach view room, if you do not want to be disappointed pay the extra amount and request that view. Our room was on the bottom floor facing a parking lot, needless to say our shades were pulled almost the entire time. We did not complain, because how much time do you spend in your room. The rooms (we had a king size bed) were very large, they might have had a smell the first day (musty) but no different smell than what I have found at other locations in the tropics. We had a few minor issues with the room, but were promptly taken care of. No bugs of any kind. Your room should have a coffee pot and blow dryer.

*hotel and grounds
In a word BEAUTIFUL! I was very pleased, the pool area and grounds are kept up very nice. All the beaches in Costa Rica are PUBLIC.....the beach that the hotel uses is NO different, that is why the beach chairs are not kept out there. Ask any security personal and he will gladly carry them to the beach for you. You do not have to lay on the ground as another person said. The sunsets are amazing! Walk the entire beach, it isn't long, but the views are breathtaking!

*Scuba Diving
We went on a two tank dive to Catalina Island. Visibility was not good on the day we went. It is the Pacific Ocean and we were told that some days the visibility is better than others. Philip was our dive master and he is very nice and easy to work with. Worth the money, even though visibility was poor.

*Tours
We decided not to do any tours this trip, we booked our trip with MLT, our host Renaldo is exceptional, he will help you with booking any excursion, I will however tell you if you go to the Monkey Bar, and speak to the tour reps when you first walk in they are less expensive for the same trips. Ask for Gabriel he will help you. Sunset tours booked with them are I 'believe' $20 cheaper for the VERY same trip!

*Money and food
First let me tell you about the money. It is about 500 colonies to 1 dollar. Another way to figure it out is to double what ever the price in colonies says. Example if it says 2400 colonies it is approximately $4.80 What we were never told is all the extras that are added on to the total. There is a 13% tax and the 10% gratuity is also added on to the bill. You usually can add more than that if you pay by credit card. They are very slow about bringing you the check, we in the states are so used to being rushed so they can get the next diners in that we think nothing of being handed the bill right away. You will NOT fill rushed here, in fact we ALWAYS had to ask for the bill.
*Food
We did not go with all inclusive, we heard the food was ok, nothing to brag about to great. We didn't eat at the hotel once, so I can't tell you how it was. We do know that they had only one restaraunt open and all bars close at 10 pm.
There are LOTS of other choices for you to try here some of the places we went to.
Marie's $-$$ casual attire
(located out of the gates of the hotel, to the right and across the street)
We usually ate only twice a day a larger breakfast/lunch and than supper.
Great for breakfast/lunch/supper.
Monkey Bar at the Flamingo Marina Resort $-$$ casual and inexpensive, laid back (our favorite)
located out of the gates to the right, when you get to the Y take a left and go up the hill, continue up the hill and will be on your right. Downstairs in the resort. There is a pool, don't forget your suit! Beautiful views!

Mar Y Sol, $$$$ casual and dressy
This is one restaurant that you do NOT want to miss. Yes the prices will be higher and for those of you that got the all inclusive 'so you don't want to have to pay for more' will be missing a great place if you don't go. Have the front desk call for reservations for you, they will send a van to pick you up. Ask to arrive about 4:30, go upstairs, have a few drinks and tapas and enjoy the beautiful sunset, don't forget your camera. After the sunsets make your way downstairs and be prepared for an amazing meal. Once your meal is complete, they will take you back to the hotel or drop you off at the Monkey Bar or Ambraes (spelling)
Ambraes $$-$$
Good food was served here, Hector was our waiter, and he does a great job. This place also has a casino that opened later. Not a lot of people here, but good food. Later on the action happens.
Baha Beach was a new lounge that had just opened, and it is on the hill above Marie's, we enjoyed a few cocktails here and ended the night at Ambraes. Which does NOT close at 10pm
If you are planning to stay out all night, I will warn you almost everything closes at 10, including bars. That is where the supermarket comes in handy......because they sell the alcohol that you can't get after 10 PM, stock up earlier in the day, so you have extra if drinking is your thing! Supermarket is also closed at 10pm
We did not find a lot of shopping to do, we went to Brazlito, which is home to the Happy Snapper and Golden Shrimp. Took one of those little taxi buggies that look similar to a golf cart, set the price for $5. one way, let the driver know how long you will be there, and what time to return to pick you up. We wanted to do some shopping and weren't impressed. Golden Shrimp is recommended by EVERYONE, we finally believed that they must be giving locals lots of money to tell people to go there.
That about wraps up everything, please do NOT hesitate to email me with any further questions. I look at the glass half full not half empty, I will be honest with you but you have to remember what I might think is the best, you might not think the same. Tell me what your expectations are and I will tell you if I 'think'' it will be a good match. And finally Pura Vida!

• Liked — ~~~~~~~The sun, warm weather and the beach~~~~~~
  • Disliked — Wish I would have brought more case along, it is spendy!
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2008

When I arrived at Flamingo Beach resort, I was surprised. The lobby was very nice, and the pool looked incredibly inviting, and the view of the ocean was fantastic. Because it was night I couldn’t see much, but the place looked fun. The issue started once we got to my room. I had booked a room with one king, and I got a room with two fulls. I went back and complained and interestingly enough, I was given the 'nuptial suite'. This room was huge! Probably about the size of four of their regular rooms and had a full size jacuzzi in it. Although I was happy for the space and the big bed, the furniture was horrid. I mean really ugly. It looked like it had not been changed in well over 20 years. The view from our room was also mediocre, as it was below ground level. I got settled and headed out to grab some dinner, only to find that dinner finished at 9:30 and you could not get anything else to eat on the property after that. The bar at the pool closed at 10, so after I hopped in, I had to mass order my drinks so I could have them for later. The place is overall very touristy and was crowded when I were there. The beach is very nice though, and I had a great run along it in the morning. They do rake it, but wear your flip flops to the shore, cause its rocky towards the resort. DO NOT accept transportation to the airport from the resort, it will cost you 75 bucks. Get your own for much cheaper. Be weary of the people on the beach selling things as well. Overall, im glad I only stayed one night. I enjoyed myself, but with a lot of bumps a long the way. Im sure there are much nicer resorts in Tamarindo, and the Ocotal Beach resort is Playa Cocoa that I stayed at was incredible.

• Liked — pool and beach
  • Disliked — everything else..
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this resort from 2-29 to 3-7-08 and I have to say it was pretty awesome. I read post after post stating that the food was bad and the rooms were not that good. I really don't need much to make a vacation good, all it takes is warm weather (90+) every day, no clouds or rain, nice rooms (cleaned every day), cold drinks ( and they were ). The food was not 5 star but I have not one complaint about the food. You could eat off the buffet or order off the menu with the all inclusive. Either way unless your looking for 5 star food, you won't be dissappointed in it.
I read about the Golden Shrimp so 4 of us decided to go give it a shot. Now you want 5 star, this comes close but in my opinion, 250.00 US dollars for 4 of us to eat dinner with 2 drinks each is a bit much. I wouldn't go there again. I however would go to the Happy Snapper again. 180.00 for 4 of us but the food was so much better.
The sunset at the beach has to be the best I have ever seen anywhere. I would recommend taking the Lazy Lizzard trip for the snorkling and sunset view out on a boat. Both were awesome.

I could only find one real fault in this place and it was the issue with the all inclusive. Even though you go all inclusive, you still have to sign your room number and name to every drink you get (even bottled water) and to every food item you get. That was a pain in the a$$ when your getting drinks all day long. Other than that, you would have to be very picky to not enjoy a stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort.

• Liked — View from the room
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!