“Better than I expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
Michigan
“Better than I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this resort from 2-29 to 3-7-08 and I have to say it was pretty awesome. I read post after post stating that the food was bad and the rooms were not that good. I really don't need much to make a vacation good, all it takes is warm weather (90+) every day, no clouds or rain, nice rooms (cleaned every day), cold drinks ( and they were ). The food was not 5 star but I have not one complaint about the food. You could eat off the buffet or order off the menu with the all inclusive. Either way unless your looking for 5 star food, you won't be dissappointed in it.
I read about the Golden Shrimp so 4 of us decided to go give it a shot. Now you want 5 star, this comes close but in my opinion, 250.00 US dollars for 4 of us to eat dinner with 2 drinks each is a bit much. I wouldn't go there again. I however would go to the Happy Snapper again. 180.00 for 4 of us but the food was so much better.
The sunset at the beach has to be the best I have ever seen anywhere. I would recommend taking the Lazy Lizzard trip for the snorkling and sunset view out on a boat. Both were awesome.

I could only find one real fault in this place and it was the issue with the all inclusive. Even though you go all inclusive, you still have to sign your room number and name to every drink you get (even bottled water) and to every food item you get. That was a pain in the a$$ when your getting drinks all day long. Other than that, you would have to be very picky to not enjoy a stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort.

• Liked — View from the room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

We came here the first time in April 2007 for our honeymoon. This was also our first trip to CR. We had a great time both trips. The first trip made us rebook for another trip in June. The first trip we had the all-inclusive package, and airport transfers. The second trip we paid for our own meals and rented a car to drive during the week we were in country. The food was ok, but we found Maries, Happy Snapper and El Castillo were much better. The staff at the resort couldn't have been more friendlier and bent over backwards to make our stay enjoyable. Playa Flamingo is a beautiful beach. We went diving with Aquacenter located at Flamingo Marina Resort, and went on the canopy tour booked thru the motel. Eduardo at the dive shop is a super great guy. We saw everything on our dive at Catalina Island. We liked the cleanliness of the rooms, and the open lobby areas. We will definitely return to this resort. For those of you that didn't like it, your loss. If you didn't like Playa Flamingo try Tamarindo next time.

• Liked — Quiet rooms
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

I was here for five nights for a destination wedding. I will admit to being a little worried, after reading reviews here and reading about a rather disturbing description in Lonely Planet (referring to older men with their prostitutes...) My reality, however, was pretty good.

I had a room on the first floor (not ground floor) overlooking the construction site on the hill above. I never heard the construction at all (it helpted that the majority of the base was completed). I never had a problem with ants. My room was cleaned every day and my towels were replenished every day. My room had a very effective air conditioning system and a very comfortable bed.

The clientele at Flamingo was pretty middle market--a lot of families from Costa Rica, US and Europe. Not upscale but not cheesy either.

The resort and town is not a hotbed of activity. Flamingo Beach does close down by 11 or so (with execption of the independently run casino and casino bar). You do not come here for the nightlife. Mary Y Sol is by far the best restaurant in the area. Mariners is fine for bar food. Golden Shrimp had a good gimmick--eat on the beach and maybe watch your chair float away! But the food was just OK. Outback Jacks was a great spot to watch the Superbowl.

The wedding actually went off quite well. The ceremony took place on the beach and the reception was in the second floor open air bar above the breakfast area. The food was all right, not spectactular but fed us just fine. The bartenders were very friendly and sociable.

Pool: never had a problem finding a chair, and the place seemed pretty full. Pool bar was entertaining but I concur with other reviewers wondering if the drinks were weak...

Overall, would I go back? Yes for a drop dead awesome deal. But it would have to be really awesome...

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

I really try not to be too critical.... but this place was a complete disappointment and I'm hoping to spare someone else a bad experience.

Here were the negatives: As another traveler pointed out, there was a bad smell in our room as well- actually, the whole lower level hallway smelled bad.... moldy, or septic problems?? There was a leak somewhere in the bathroom that would run out into the room. Each night we'd return to a puddle of water in the floor. Two of the 3 nights we were there, the bathtub drain didn't drain well, and water backed up in the tub while you showered... Yuck! Oh.... and be prepared NOT to have towels replaced each day. If you call and fuss, you'll eventually get them.

As far as room comforts go, the bed sheets were old, worn, and scratchy. No blankets were provided, so you only had a thin sheet and the bedspread to cover up with. When we checked into our room, I noticed that the clock wasn't working..... it wasn't plugged in. When I went to plug it in (so we could use the alarm) I discovered there wasn't an available wall socket. In order to use the clock, we had to unplug the bedside lamps.

Finally, be warned that the hotel is waterfront..... in a strange sort of way. There's actually a dirt road that runs between the property and the beach. Tourism vans and the general public drive through the area and park on the street. Don't look for beach chairs either... there are none. So, be prepared to lay on the sand ... which isn't white as in the pictures.

The only good things I have to say is that the pool area is beautiful, and that security seemed to be adequate.

We only had one meal at the resort (breakfast), which was OK. We booked a horseback ride along the beach for 2 hours- the cost was $45.00 each. The next day we took our rental car and went to Fortuna........ a canopy tour and horsebackriding for $50.00 each..... for 4 1/2 hours. The tours aoffered at the hotel are too expensive!

Take my advice and stay somewhere else... the price was low, but the experience was cheap!

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2008

The Flamingo Beach Hotel is a great little value resort right on the beach. The rooms are average, but clean and bright. If you'd like a view of the pool or the water, be sure to request this at the time of making your reservation. We were given a room that was very 60's (albeit large) that had a kitchenette and was a bit too weird. Luckily, they moved us across the hall to a smaller but nicer room. We had a balcony overlooking the pool and the ocean.

The breakfasts at the hotel are lovely, and the eating area is practically right on the beach.

The hotel is perfectly situated near the restaurants and shops of Flamingo beach. You can walk to Marie's, the Mariner, etc.

A great place for people wanting a relaxing, low-key beach holiday.

• Liked — Proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — A bit outdated
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

We were a party of four, two to a room. One room had no hot water for the two nights we stayed there, but the hotel provided a greatly reduced rate for our inconvenience. The location is phenomenal--right on a really nice beach with minimal people and vendors, and clean, with some shade. The room was average. The restaurant is not worth mentioning, other than a couple of times the waiters seemed to say they did not have something that was later served at another table. Maybe a miscommunication, despite our fluent Spanish. Better to eat at another place nearby--only a couple are in walking distance. I would say this place is worth it for a night or two, mainly for the beach location. On a positive note, the road seemed to have been recently paved so we did not have to endure lots of bumps to get there.

• Liked — Beach location
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

Myself and my wife have 2 different thoughts. She would give it a 3 and I would give it a 1.

Come along with me on this journey! I might be a bit to harsh but really I will tell you how it is and if the rating needs to be better I will change it.

We walked in and it was nice. Beautiful view to the ocean and is an awesome picture...

Our room wasn't ready and when we finally got it was nice. I just wish we would have had something to kill all the ants... I mean there was maybe a couple thousand of them in our bathroom but hey we can live with little tiny ants crawling everywhere...

We had a king size bed which was nice but once inside was kinda gross. The sheets where hard and it felt like the mattress was made of sandpaper.

We got the special room, because we got the loud crying child of 2 next door. With our paperthin walls 6am came quite early. Kinda tough as well to have a romantic night with your neighbour snoring... We did ask for a new room after we explained all the problems, and they said they would look ito it. I am not sure what that means but I assume it ment no because we had the room until we left.

Maybe it would have been nice to have our room cleaned! But maybe our room wasn't messy enough to warrent some new sheets, towels and ants! (We liked the old ants, but new ones would have been nice)!

The pool was small, but hey the ocean was awesome and the beach was great!

The food was awsome, and if you get Saul as a waiter tip him, he is just an awesome guy.

The bar closes at 10 so dont expect to be sitting around the pool drinking and chatting... There will be chatting just nothing to drink.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!