“Hotel is great - DON'T USE ENCANTO SPORT FISHING” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Flamingo, Playa Flamingo 2050, Costa Rica   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Playa Flamingo
Kansas City, Missouri
“Hotel is great - DON'T USE ENCANTO SPORT FISHING”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Firstly the hotel was wonderful and all the staff extremely friendly. No issues with anything about the hotel. I requested a change of room for a different view and they accommodated us. We spent just 4 days at the hotel and it was a shame it couldn't have been more.

Now my gripe - we booked a private fishing trip thru TAM Travel situated within the hotel. The booking was simple and the staff helpful. ENCANTO SPORT FISHING arrived in the morning to pick my wife and I up - the car was 30 minutes late. We arrived at the location on the beach just 400 yards down the road where we were greeted by a rep from Encanto. After taking our payment of $400 via CC we were then told we had to pay an extra $30 cash for a fishing license. Extra payment for a fishing license was never mentioned when booking. The Encanto rep just shrugged and said 'they were not expecting the officer to be there" Aboard the boat 'The Callaluna' it became clear very quickly that the captain spoke very little english and the fishing mate spoke non at all. My wife was above sunbathing on the front deck and I was left in SILENCE for six hours as the fishing mate made no attempt to communicate what so ever - despite my best efforts. When the fishing started I WAS NOT ALLOWED TO HOLD A ROD!! That's right six hours fishing trip and I could not hold a rod. The captain spent his time fishing from his deck and I watched the fishing mate 'Fish' for six hours. We (he) hooked just one fish in six hours and when it was 10 yards from the boat he handed me the rod to reel the last part in - then he grabbed the line and pulled it in by hand. In fact going back to the speaking of english - the mate spoke one word - cerveza. of which he only said twice in six hours. Food was meant to be available too but NOTHING. No Fishing, No communication, No food.

AVOID ENCANTO SPORT FISHING. The most awful fishing experience ever...

Room Tip: we moved to a room facing the pool. AC worked very well. Great view of incoming storms from the sea...
Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

1,170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I got to say that this resort was absolutely amazing. Everything in the resort just oozes relaxation. Yet, I got to say that the staff definitely made the resort as enjoyable as it was. Everyone there is just so happy and friendly, and they are all genuine and caring. Yensy (who works in the family room) and Manuel (one of the bellboys) were the two that I especially interacted with. My cousin and I spent hours on end competing against these two in the game room and just having a blast with them. I recommend the resort to anyone and everyone who is looking for a vacation to get away from the hustle and bustle of regular life.

As for services rendered, my family really went out of the resort to get them. We found it more affordable to eat out and plan activities with a third party. Actually, we went against the resort's warnings and booked activities with outside tour guides. We met Minor by the beach and he offered his services for a much more affordable rate. He stayed with us the entire time, helped us with anything we needed, and just went out of his way to make sure everything was going great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Absolutely fantastic experience! The whole trip couldn't have been more relaxing and enjoyable. From the moment we first arrived at the hotel the staff were very polite, efficient and courteous. Not to mention extremely knowledgable and helpful - Jennifer was awesome at the front desk! We were checked-in quickly and had everything explained to us. We opted for their all-inclusive package when we were given the option right there at check-in. Trust me, you'll save a LOT of money that way. No, it doesn't include top-shelf drinks and some food items are charged a few dollars extra - but there are plenty of fantastic local alternatives and the seafood is easily the best I have had anywhere in the world. The Green Monster and Dirty Monkey cocktails by the pool bar are just ridiculously good! We were shown to our room which was well appointed. Nice bathroom and good AC unit. Everywhere is very close to everything in this place. The pool is perfect with it's swim-up bar, large kiddy pool and submerged terraces for sunloungers in the pool! It's also plenty wide enough to do laps. They have daily activities which are a lot of fun too. Great bar staff, fantastic food in the Arenas Restaurant - the Sea Bass is just incredible in all forms! Try the Ceviche, it's phenomenal! The beach is across a narrow dirt road but is really RIGHT THERE! Other reviews that criticise that point are pretty much whining for whining's sake - it's totally fine. The only point I would note is that there is no non-slip coating in the hot-tub and shower area of the spa. There REALLY needs to be. My girlfriend very nearly had a nasty slip coming down the stairs out of the hot-tub and had she not caught her self somehow would probably have really hurt herself. So guys, please could you put something on the floor? Overall our stay was perfect and we cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

This hotel was part of our Travelzoo package and we loved it! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We were greeted with ice cold tropical drinks to sip during our check in. The room was clean and had a nice balcony area. We loved the pool area and the swim up bar. Our Travelzoo package included breakfast every morning and we had no complaints there. It was buffet style breakfast and was a great way to start the everyday. The hotel was walking distance from the beach and several restaurants. I would highly recommend this hotel for families and couples.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

It was the staff, especially Racquel and Carlos that would make us consider staying there again, not that the rooms were bad or anything. But the special care they took towards us sticks out more than anything. And just the small touches like the towel folding on the bed everyday, like on a cruise ship, and the way the maid Hellen incorporated flowers into them... Just such a nice touch. Bed very comfy, and nice shower. I read some complaints about being in the "basement", and it is not a basement, it is a lower floor, and I am here to tell you, you WANT this as it is cooler. Only negative overall, on every floor, is the noise. Sound desensitizing, more plants or something would sure help, the hall ways even upstairs were very loud. I would not be offended by quiet please signs, but that's me. Quieting down those halls needs to be addressed though.

Pool was always a bit filmy/dirty, but that is to be expected that close to the beach and sunscreen. But it was large and the swim up bar, very friendly. The food for the entire stay; excellent!!! The breakfast was really great, mostly because of Racquel again, but delicious and beautiful to sit there listening to the ocean. Afternoons and evenings we regularly encountered Carlos, and he was informative, warm, made us feel at home.

Would stay again, but the reception desk staff could be a little friendlier. We got up early to go out to the water, see the world wake up, the sounds are amazing. And when we asked for coffee, we didn't have any left in the room, they said none was available until 6am. Huh? Well give me some packets then, I will make my own in the room...... Yeah, just not friendly, or willing to go out of their way. Well, not that coffee at 5am is out of their way..... But that was out experience with them. We would stay again for sure, no stay is perfect I guess.

But our thanks to Racquel and to Carlos, make sure you meet them if you go. You won't be sorry.
Side note: I "heard" there were iguanas at breakfast walking around and sunning themselves and I didn't see ANY! I was giving Racquel a hard time on it, saying sure there are iguanas, suuurrreee. (teasing) And on our last day, there was a few who showed up, and she came and found me, called my room and everything because she knew I really wanted to see them! It's like she really cared that I got to see them, after teasing her about it the past two days! I felt special and appreciated her for doing that. :)

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We loved this hotel. But not even great stays are perfect. The Flamingo beach resort has plenty to offer. First, do not let the hotel arrange transportation to and from the airport. They are highly overpriced. They want $80 per person each way which was scandoulous. Call ECOTRAN which is located directly across the street and charges only $20 per person each way. Yes, you heard right. Secondly, dont go through the hotel for excursions. Again, way to over priced. Go to costa rica adventures which is right outside Marie's restaurant across the street. They are 25% cheaper. Take the PALO VERDES tour up the tempiste river. You see crocodiles and white faced monkey's and iguana's the size of a small dog. I also suggest not taking the all inclusive plan. Who wants to sit in the same dining hall and see the same faces for your entire trip. Marie's restaurant right across the street was incredible as was the Happy snapper. Stay away from Mar y Sol. That place was a rip off, dried lobster an filet mignon. Marie's was reasonably priced with a great hearty breakfast. The waiters were fantastic. As for the hotel, the staff was courteous, warm and friendly. They were all terrific. The only problem with the hotel is the dining room closes at 9:30 pm. You can't get food, liqour,,, nothing. And I mean nothing, even the restaurants outside the hotel close at 9:30 pm so always make sure you eat prior to that time. Last thing, the pillows suck. Bring your own pillow. Otherwise, have a great trip, the hotel is a very wise choice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed at the FBRS the first week of June 2012.

Pros:
Awesome Location: So close to the beach, I could have gotten there in less time than it took me to type this. The beach was ideal for our plans (boogie /skim boarding) and the waves were consistently good.
Staff- everyone was helpful, but especially Alex, who in addition to cheerful service at the restaurant provided advice on entertainment options that we enjoyed.
Pool- beautiful and spacious

Cons-
The rooms were just so so. It wasn't important to my son and I, but the rooms were not as plush as newer resorts might have. (towels were not fluffy!)
Maybe just me, but I was a little disappointed that there were menu items that cost extra for all-inclusive guests. (pet peeve)

Overall- it was a great experience at a very reasonable price. Not the Ritz, but very comfortable. I would stay here again on a family trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!