“Best quality/price to stay in C.R.! And what a family!” 5 of 5 stars

Cabinas Coco Azul
De la Iglesia, 100Mts northeast | 25 Mts South, Playas del Coco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Playas del Coco
Gaspe, Canada
“Best quality/price to stay in C.R.! And what a family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

El Coco Azul is definitely the best place to live in Coco. Super clean and quiet, you are two minutes walking from downtown and two minutes walking from the beach. The bosses are super cool, Steve & Alberto, super funny and professional as well. Never had a problem with them in almost three months there! Client care #1 and really good ambiance. I can't wait to go back to Costa Rica to say hi to those new friends!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Augusta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I stayed 6 nights at Coco Azul and it had everything I needed for a comfortable stay. If you have reasonable expectations then you will have no problems. The manager Alberto always made sure I had everything I needed and I enjoyed spending time conversing with him when I wasn't diving/sailing/etc. I'd recommend this cabinas to anyone looking for reasonably priced lodging that has a nice homely feel to it :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Great shady room off the beaten path. Steve and Alberto were very friendly and helpful. Room was clean, bed was nice and shower refreshing. Great 2 minute walk to the beach, nice and quiet at night. Couldn't ask for much more.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I came to Playa del Coco for the diving and didn't arrange anything in advance. After hearing that the prices at Coco beach were quite high I was glad to find this place which fitted well within my budget. The rooms are clean and spacious with free wifi and a comfortable bed, although don't come expecting 5 star resort quality. Both Steve and Alberto were extremely nice and as I was travelling by myself it was nice to be able to have a chat after a morning of diving. What I really appreciated was that both Steve and Alberto were willing to listen to me and ask questions for example about the diving as well as freely telling their own stories and anecdotes and if you want to leave the conversation then that was no problem either, qualities that are not always so apparent. All in all just 2 great guys. Furthermore I liked the fact that Alberto was present all day so that I felt that my things were safe while I was away. Lastly they have the cutest pack of chichuahas that you will ever find. O and as mentioned in other reviews the location is good, close to everything yet sufficiently far to not be bothered by the noise from town.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I decided to get away to Costa Rica for our honeymoon. I am a diver and knew that this location was the best for diving in all of Costa Rica. As soon as we arrived from San Jose to the hotel, the manager, Alberto was there to meet us, help us with our luggage and to make sure everything was ok. The room was exactly what we thought it would be. Since we booked the simplest room, we knew it had no A/C so for my fellow travelers that tend to feel the heat at night, we would recommend upgrading to a room with A/C for just a few dollars. Anyway, the room was in perfect condition. During our stay, which lasted 4 nights, Alberto, I can say, became a dear friend with whom I hope I can stay in touch. He has a beautiful dog, Cici, that happened to have puppies just a week before our arrival and my wife and I found ourselves playing with the puppies, talking about Costa Rica, sharing our life stories and just having a wonderful relaxing time with the company of Alberto. He really made us feel at home. Anything that we needed was provided and we did not have a single issue or problem, except next time we would get a room with A/C since I am one of those people that get hot very easily at night. The hotel is perfectly placed, within a 3 minute walk to the beach and 1 minute walk to all the shopping and the restaurants. Steve, the owner of the hotel is also a wonderful person. I got the chance to get to know more of him, specially in the last 2 days in our stay. Steve is very relaxed, easy-going and went out of his way to give us a hand. When we left the hotel and needed to get back to the city of Liberia, he kindly offered to give us a ride and take us directly Liberia for our bus to Nicaragua. Excellent owner and caretaker of the hotel. For our fellow travelers, I highly recommend this hotel if you want to have a great relaxing time. It is not very luxurious but we ended up saving huge and our experience was by the lack of a better word, awesome. If we come back to Cocos, this will be our place.

Room Tip: The only thing I can say is that I recommend getting a room with A/C since Cocos can get very hot an...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Quaint and charming snuggled in native Costa Rican neighborhood close to the beach and tourist attractions of main street. Has all the amenities of home including a Jacuzzi. Owner Steve and manager Alberto are very helpful and anxious to please. As a guest you are made to feel special. Price is very reasonable allowing for personal enjoyment of the area.

Room Tip: Tell Alberto what you need and he will work with you. If you are backpacking with a group and room t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

On our two month trip through Central America we came across this hotel based on reviews from trip advisor. I'm glad to say it was well worth the value and I would recommend it to any backpacker on a budget.

Positives:
-cheap/ $15/night
-Personal room
-personal shower
-personal fridge
-kitchen
-friendly managers

Negatives
-cold shower ( it's refreshing anyways)
-no A/C

(Besides those two things it was great! Close enough to the main strip, but far enough away from the nightclubs to not hear the music.)

Safe travels, Cheers!

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Cabinas Coco Azul? Share your experiences!