“Clean and Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coco Beach Hotel and Casino

You added Coco Beach Hotel and Casino to your Saves list
Coco Beach Hotel and Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main St., Playas del Coco, Costa Rica (Formerly Coco Verde Hotel, Spa and Casino)   |
Special Rate
$65 (USD)
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Playas del Coco
Denver, Colorado
“Clean and Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is a bare-bones hotel, but it has everything you need and everything worked (TV, coffee maker, shower...). The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful; in my case, I had to change the date of my stay, and they were willing to do without a cancelation fee, something they were not obligated to do since I had booked online. This was very much appreciated. Also, the Wi-Fi worked just fine in my room.
One caveat: the hotel rooms are directly in front of the main street in Coco Beach, and it did get quite noisy with the partying going on!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Hotel C, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Coco Beach Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear jilammers, Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay at Coco Beach Hotel. We appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations… We are glad to hear that our staff helped you with efficient and friendly service.
Thank you so much again for your feedback

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Leon, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

After reading some of the very negative comments about this hotel it was with some trepidation that we booked into the Coco Beach Hotel for a week given that it was located very close to where we wanted to be and it was reasonably priced, particularly compared with some of the alternatives that are in the multi-hundred dollar a night bracket.
To be perfectly frank, it is not the Ritz. However we found the reception friendly and effective, the rooms clean and quite spacious, the continental breakfast perfectly adequate for a hot climate and, in spite of being close to some of the noisiest night life around, the room was quiet and we had no trouble sleeping off our jet lag. It's true that the wi-fi coverage is patchy but being on holiday this is almost a blessing. In all and taken in the context of Costa Rica which is no low-cost destination, we found this hotel to be good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the passage.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Dixon P , thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay at Coco Beach Hotel. We appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations… We are glad to hear that our staff helped efficiency and great service.

Thanks again for your feedback
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Rooms are very noisy due to the pounding music the hotel plays all the time, difficult to sleep, street noise as well. Rooms very dark, difficult to read. Only 2 dim lamps. Can't use light from front window as then no privacy- on 1st floor. Bathrooms very dirty, old. Small window in bathroom did not lock. Don't recommend this hotel unless you have no choice, as we did, because it was part of a package.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear addi52 , let me start by apologizing for the feeling that was caused to you in during your experience with us, we sorry that your stay was not what you expected. As you might have read in some of our responses or reviews, we are under new management and these problems you mentioned have been brought to attention. We know our shortcomings and we're working to bring the property up to par

Travelers are raving about these Playas del Coco hotels

Naples, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We paid for another hotel so we could leave the Coco Beach Hotel.

NO WI-FI IN ROOMS! Only really slow and spotty internet in public areas. I asked to be moved to a room near a public area so I could use Wi-Fi and they didn't move me. Hotel website says it has wi-fi and doesn't say public areas only (or at least I didn't see it).

Pool is beautiful but they are blasting REALLY profane music all afternoon. Every other word in the music is the F word, so I didn't want to be by the pool.

Tried to sleep last night but the music from the bar was really loud and people were honking like crazy on the street, which woke me up.

Air conditioning doesn't work well in the rooms. I was sweating all night.

Staff was very friendly and spoke English well. Handed us a nice fruit juice as soon as we walked in. Breakfast was a small plate of delicious fruit and a piece of toast. All other breakfasts were not included.

The Coco Beach area is nice but be sure to manage your expectations. It's not anything like the beach in Hawaii. The area around the beach is SUPER DRIED OUT with dead trees and dead weeds everywhere. Don't expect a lush green forest around the beach.

I know this review makes me sound like a whiner. I am grateful that I could go to Costa Rica, but this hotel was not the best choice of location in Costa Rica. We had a WONDERFUL trip other than this hotel. We stayed in the Linda Vista Del Norte hotel by La Fortuna and it was by far the nicest place of the trip. It's not a beach location, but it was definitely the most enjoyable part of our trip. Lots to do, quiet, and gorgeous rainforest hikes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by a public area so you can get wi-fi. Wi-fi is spotty even in public areas and does...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Coco Beach H, Asistente at Coco Beach Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Mrs JimHarmer
First let us start by apologizing for the feeling that was caused to you during your experience with us. We sorry that your stay was not what you expected. We are trying to solve this internet problem as at the moment it’s possible to connect only from the restaurant or lobby. The problems you mentioned have been brought to the attention of our restaurant staff. We are very aware of our shortcomings and we're working to bring the property up to par, we are glad to hear the Staff made your stay better. We have 2 seasons here at Costa Rica we are in the dry season right now, in October or September is Greener and the town is more relaxed. Hopefully if we get a chance to serve you again it will be as you expect it and as we want you to experience it.
We are glad you enjoyed Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We had some issues with our rooms that were quickly taken care of with a smile and efficiency. I do ask management to give guests the ability to lock those bathroom windows - _not only for the customers safety but the amazing place called Coco beach hotel.
The food was very good!!!!! Staff again very accommodating. We really loved our stay. There are also some conditions on some rooms that need addressed - the mold in some of the bathrooms. Several of us had it.
But the best if the hotel is the staff and their amenities and close proximity to everything.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Taraland , thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay at Coco Beach Hotel. We appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations… We are glad to hear that our staff helped efficiency and great service.

Thanks again for your feedback
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

we paid 113$ (including tax) and got a room with 2 queen beds, but we were a couple, so for 2 people it was not worth the money.
the room was old, with no windows (actually therer is a big window but it cannot be opened...), and the shower was leaking...

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Shai K, let me start by apologizing for the feeling that was caused to you in during your experience with us, we sorry that your stay was not what you expected. As you might have read in some of our responses or reviews, we are under new management and these problems you mentioned have been brought to attention. We know our shortcomings and we're working to bring the property up to par
Hopefully if we get a chance to serve you again it will be as you expect it
Ocala, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I had a brief one night stay at this hotel thank goodness for that! I'd hardly call it a hotel, budget motel or pit stop would be more like it. The bathroom was the equivalent of a gas station rest room in the states, something you need but want to get out of at all costs. I gave it 1 star because they said that they were under new management in the last 6 months and the front desk was polite upon arrival. Btw the internet is only available in the reception area not in your room. If they can clean this place up it might be a good stay someday because it was located right on the main drag of the town. The room I had was dirty! It had not been painted for a LONG time if ever. There were big black marks on the walls, the shower was covered in mold, broken tiles, and the sink had years of crusted dirt around the faucet. I was so disgusted that I didn't even shower. The bed linens were course and didn't feel that great on my sun drenched skin. For the money compared to the other places I stayed it was by far the worst value. I got in late, justified staying because I was tired and had no energy to find another location at 9:30 pm. I asked for a 7:30 wake up call and my phone rang at 5, 5:24, and again at 5:30. I dozed back to sleep confused but no wake up call at 7:30 so I was running late. I spoke to the front desk about being called at 5 and they said their wake up call system was malfunctioning. I expressed my disappointment with the room and they didn't offer a thing other than to explain that they were under new management. I'd avoid this location until they upgrade. How much could it cost to clean the bathrooms and buy a can of paint? I don't understand the other ratings I must have been given the worst room in the house for the most money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Mrs. Equestrian, First let me start by apologizing as you might have read in some of our responses or reviews, we are under new management, we sorry that your stay was not what you expected. We are trying to solve some of these problems. We´re aware of our shortcomings and we're working around the clock to bring the property up to par. We started an internal investigation to examine a details surrounding the Wake up Calls problem.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Been to Coco Beach Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!