“Comfortable, Clean and Hot Water” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coco Beach Hotel and Casino

You added Coco Beach Hotel and Casino to your Saves list
Coco Beach Hotel and Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main St., Playas del Coco, Costa Rica (Formerly Coco Verde Hotel, Spa and Casino)   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Playas del Coco
Reno, NV
“Comfortable, Clean and Hot Water”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I booked this hotel as part of a fly-stay package and chose it from other options because I am familiar with Coco (this was my 4th trip here) and this hotel is located right where I wanted to be in Coco. All I needed was a place to shower and sleep. As it turned out, it was perfectly suited for my needs. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating and the front desk staff all spoke excellent English. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The pillows are the kind that are filled with chunks of foam but among the four pillows, one suited me and I slept well. The room is very basic and there was no dresser or drawers of any kind to allow for unpacking a suitcase. The closet was good size but there were only 3 hangers. (I’m sure I could have gotten more had I asked.) One problem is the lack of electrical outlets (which is typical in most of the places I’ve stayed in Costa Rica). There were two outlets, one on each side wall with none near the sink. I had to unplug the tv in order to use my hair dryer and curling iron and fortunately there was a mirror on the wall close by. The shower was good sized and had hot water (not always the case in some hotels here). I was there during the slow season so the evenings were fairly quiet. I would not want to stay here during high season or over a holiday week as I know how noisy this little village, especially this main business area, can get. I asked for a room away from the pool and reception areas as those areas can be very noisy. The package included a free continental breakfast or for $3 USD you can order the ‘tipico’ breakfast. If you’re not familiar with typical Costa Rican breakfasts I highly suggest you try it. The meal is more protein based than the fruit and toast of the continental breakfast, consisting of eggs (your choice of style), gallo pinto (black beans and rice with seasoning), white cheese, fried plantains and, in this case, toast. I always ordered the tipico because I needed the protein, but the fresh fruit plate looked to have a good variety of local fresh fruits in a large serving. In the US I would rate this hotel a 2 star, but for Playas del Coco, I would rate it 4 star just because of the comfort, cleanliness and hot water. The hotel pictures are a little misleading, there were no flowers or decorations in my room, the linens were clean but a little worn, there was no mattress pads on the beds (just the fitted sheet over the mattress), the towels weren't artistically arranged, etc. and, maybe because it was off season, there were no chaise lounges around the pool.

Room Tip: rooms away from the reception area and the pool are quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Coco Beach H, Asistente at Coco Beach Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Hello H&H-Hacienda:

First and foremost, on behalf of the Coco Beach Hotel thank you for your kind words. We are most happy about your positive experience while staying with us. Your points of improvement, such as having more electrical outlets in the rooms has been on our list of things to do for some time now, as we understand it can pose a definite inconvenience for our clients. We hope to add additional plug-ins to all of our rooms in the near future. The amount of hangers should have been more than 3, we typically have a standard of 5 hangers per room, so our apologize on the overlook. Also, while towel decorations are not a standard in our hotel rooms, YET, we do offer decorations for guests making the request, for honeymoons etc., at no additional charge. Bedding itself and arrangement of bedding and towels are all up for evaluation and improvement as we enter high season. We thank you for making the points you did to help us in our decision making process. Feel free to email us directly for special deals on our room rates in the future as a thank you for taking the time to write about us! Our email address is reservas@cocobeachcr.com.

Will be more than happy to have you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Had a great stay while in Playa del Coco and at this hotel. Please know it is not a resort or a "high-end" hotel, BUT it is pearl in the rough when looking at lodging options in Coco Beach outside of renting condos. We pretty much loved it... we were comped an upgrade; though minimal, it really was the customer service that won us over. PROS: Staff was AMAZINGLY cordial and always willing to help, nice quite pool location, GREAT food, pretty good location within Coco Beach, literally in the center of the zone, ample space in rooms, comfy bed, cleanliness was stellar...... CONS: "upgrade" for rooms was for a flatscreen tv, hot water & a technical safety box; no pool side rooms; not sure there were king-size beds; price(which is not a lot, but worth mentioning) for typical breakfast vs just toast; spotty wi-fi only in the reception area; no real parking lot..... All in all, I would recommend this hotel option for folks who don't mind not having just a comfortable setting and bypassing the resort lifestyle. I'd definitely come back again :-)

Room Tip: no major choices or options for better room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Coco Beach H, Asistente at Coco Beach Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hello L G P:

Thank you for your overall positive feedback about your stay with us. We do prize our location and guest service as definite plus factors for those looking for accommodations in the center of activity In our part of Guanacaste. Our staff will go out of their way to make you feel at home, and we are so happy that this showed through to both of you while here. The difference between our standard and superior rooms is small as mentioned, but something else we are in the process of changing –including the possibility of having king sized beds available for traveling couples. The main differences as you mentioned are the digital safety deposit boxes, a flatscreen tv (instead of a conventional one), and mini refrigerator, which many of our guests staying a longer length of time appreciate, to store any food and beverages they need while with us. The superior rooms are also located on the 2nd floor, where guests can feel slightly more isolated from all the action outside. Hot water is located throughout the entire hotel however. The parking lot is another realistic comment, and something we are trying to improve. Space prohibits us from making it any larger, but we plan to add cement etc. so it bodes more formally to our guests. We would love to have you back again and really appreciate your comments! It helps us to improve and also makes us grateful to have such great people stay with us like yourselves. Feel free to contact us in the future for another reservation.
Calgary, Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

First the pros: for its location on the main drag, smack-dab in the middle of all of the bars, restaurants and its own all-night casino, the hotel has the potential to be pretty quiet. It is also immaculately clean. Some of the staff are very well trained in client service. The beds are excellent quality and the air conditioner is whisper-quiet.

But for one of Coco's most expensive hotels, the cold-water shower was a most displeasing surprise, as was the 5:30 a.m. “wake-up call” from employees who sat on couches outside the rooms engaging in discourteous, extremely loud conversation for an hour.

There was no key provided to the safe, no drinking water in the room, even at a cost, no bathmat and after checkout I inquired about making a 30 minute international call with calling card from their advertised business centre and the manager told duty staff I’d have to pay for a room at full cost for a day. Huh?

The rooms could use a fresh coat of paint and anyone larger than a gangly teen boy will have an interesting time manoeuvring around the door of the postage-stamp sized washroom.

Lastly, I consider it really bad form to solicit a weary traveller at 9:30 pm to attend a sister resort elsewhere. I’d give this place a miss: you can do much better in Coco for less money and get a much better night’s sleep.

Room Tip: As far from reception as possible - the staff congregate there at 5:30am to practice voice-throwing!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Coco Beach H, Asistente at Coco Beach Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hello SocklessJ:

On behalf of the entire Coco Beach Hotel and Casino staff we would like to apologize for the experience you had while staying with us. While we are glad you enjoyed the location and various specifics of our hotel, we are sorry that the overall quality of your stay with us was a disappointing one.

In terms of the specifics of your complaint, we would like to start by addressing your concern about the noise in the morning. That should never happen and we sincerely apologize, and likewise are communicating the message to all of our team leaders so that they are all integrated in the importance of always maintaining a noise level respectful of our clients. It will not happen again.

The cold water shower you mention is also something not to be excused. We were having maintenance issues at the time with our water heater. Again, not an excuse, but not a common occurrence for our guests.

Management has spoken with our reception team about not offering the safety deposit box key during the check-in. It is a normal part of our check-in procedure and this is a perfect reminder for them of the importance of doing so. Water is drinkable here in Costa Rica but rather take it as a good suggestion for the possibility of providing bottled water complementary to guests.

If you could provide us more information about the phone-card it would be appreciated. Paying for a full night does not seem correct, so we would like to know the full details of the situation to set it straight.

We in sum are very sorry for your experience with us and would love the opportunity to show what we really do have to offer during a future stay with us. We appreciate however your feedback as it is a good remember of the importance of always looking out for our clientele.

We hope to continue to be in touch to resolve any outstanding issues.

Coco Beach Hotel.
Florianopolis, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The staff of this hotel makes it much more pleasant than a three star beach hotel would be. Smiley and always ready to help, both the receptionists and waiters helped me find my way in this area, where I expected less professionalism... The continental breakfast was simple but well presented, the rooms were clean and comfortable. The spa, I did not see, but who needs it with such a relaxing atmosphere!

Room Tip: Upper floors during high season, but on low season the street sounds quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Coco Beach H, Asistente at Coco Beach Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you Heloisa for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience here with others.

It is wonderful to see such positive comments from you about your stay. It was a huge pleasure having you with us. I know all of us here at the hotel enjoyed your presence. Smiling customers are a good thing to see at a hotel! We have put a great effort into always providing quality customer service so that our clients feel at home and well taken care. We hope to have you back soon so you can take advantage of our spa services offered at our hotel affiliate, Villas Sol Beach Resort.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Really, it was a very good experience for us. We were flying out of Liberia the next morning and needed a place to stay on our last light. Karla was very helpful and friendly as were the rest of the staff.

Everything was good, except the noise from the street. This hotel is right on the main strip, so the location is great, but the payoff is noise. If you are a light sleeper like me, I hope you have earplugs.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks so much for sharing with others your positive experience staying with us.

We pride ourselves on having a staff that really cares about our customers´ needs and concerns, and it is wonderful to see that that effort has paid off. In terms of the noise from the street, our prime location, right in the heart of activity in Playas del Coco, makes noise outside impossible to completely avoid, but there are rooms available in the hotel for light sleepers where no earplugs are necessary to have good night sleep. Just let the reservations department or reception know, and they can happily help you with a more isolated corner room for a future stay.
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here two nights at the end of August. We rented a car, and it was easy to find from Liberia, thanks to the rented GPS. Even without it, I think it would have been easy to find. Since we traveled in low season, there didn't appear to be too many other hotel guests, which suited us fine. There is a small parking lot or off street parking if you rent a car. The beach is a five minute walk down the main road.
The hotel staff was friendly and our room was ready when we arrived. We were given voucher for a complimentary welcome drink. The room is basic, and I wouldn't say it was in the best condition. The room is pretty dark, and I wore flip flops in the shower. There wasn't a clock. I think the pictures looked nice online, but had I been staying for a romantic getaway or honeymoon trip, I would have been disappointed. It just wasn't very welcoming.
The pool area is well maintained and cute. There aren't too many chairs, but I believe more people go to the beach anyway.
We had breakfast both mornings, and I thought the food was really good. They offer both Costa Rican or American breakfast for a small up charge ($3).
Best point: Monkeys in the trees outside the hotel. They were right above us as we walked down the street, and that was great.
Overall I was happy with this property. There is a grocery store on the next corner, it's within walking distance of a few restaurants, and it's close to the beach. I would stay here again for it's location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Mrs. Hall for sharing your comments with us.

We are glad our location, food and staff pleased your expectations and that you had an overall good experience with us. In terms of your points on the quality of rooms, we are sorry to hear they were not as pleasing. We are currently in progress with many renovations to all of our hotel rooms, including the shower areas, so that all rooms are comparable to our Coco Superior rooms with their pleasantly tiled bathrooms. We also have ideas about more lighting fixtures for the rooms, as it is a comment we have heard from other clients as well. We hope next time we have you back you can see the changes.
Turner, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at the Coco Beach for 7 nights during a dive vacation. The location is its greatest asset - just a few steps from Rich Coast Diving. The pool is small and well maintained. Breakfast is included, but for anything substantial, you will have to pay an extra fee. The rooms are small; the bathroom is smaller. The beds are comfortable and the air conditioner worked well.

My biggest complaint, the toilet ran constantly as the flap at the bottom of the tank didn't seal properly. Management sent a person to fix it. By fix, I mean he manually placed the flap where it should go. Which is what we had to do the rest of the week to stop the consent flow... It was easier than to wait for someone to fix it properly.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second a way from the pool and casino are the quietest.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for sharing your comments with us.

We are glad that your overall stay was a positive one, including our proximity to so many great activities in the area, such as diving, which you mention here. In terms of your complaint, the situation with your room was definitely the exception. The majority of our rooms have not and do not have the same problem, but we would love to ensure that the fixing was done properly. If you could let us know what room you were staying in, we will send a maintenance team in to ensure that the underlying problem was addressed since your stay (reservas@cocobeachcr.com). We hope to have you back for future diving trips in the future!

Been to Coco Beach Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!