“Would recommend this to anyone--incredible place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rancho Armadillo Estate

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playas del Coco
Rancho Armadillo Estate
You added Rancho Armadillo Estate to your Saves list
Playas del Coco, Playas del Coco 5019, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Playas del Coco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Guymon, Oklahoma
“Would recommend this to anyone--incredible place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

A couple girl friends and I stayed with Rick for a bit before heading over to the all-inclusive Hilton property near Coco for a work trip. We were all disappointed when we got to the Hilton because our time with Rick was so great and nothing could match up to that! He serves up a wonderful breakfast, he is so friendly and helpful, and we just felt at home! Also, his property is beautiful, and you really feel like you are staying somewhere away from everything, but you are only a few minutes from town. I can't say enough good things about this place and about Rick and I hope I can come back someday!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed for 10 days in February with a friend. Beautiful grounds, nice weather but most amazing was the host Rick! Always checked in with us to see what we were doing for the day and offered maps, directions, recommendations, etc. Really friendly environment! Had a massage with Melissa, was amazing! Highly recommend that! A good place to stay for families or for a get away with friends!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Dolphin/Turtle room. Nice because it has 2 showers!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Loved our time with Rick! He was a wealth of information and put us in the right direction every time wether regarding dining, day trips, excursions, etc. We loved the quiet, rustic cottage. Beautiful views and felt very confident in his recommendations. Staying at Rancho Armadillo and having someone help us with deciding what to do and where to dine allowed us a real Costa Rica experience. We loved renting a 4WD and taking the long, exciting routes to beaches and waterfalls. We loved the Sea Bird Sailing he recommended, it was phenomenal and the crew was wonderful. Hopefully we will return soon and with our children!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

My fiance and I stayed at Rancho Armadillo for five nights in January 2014. This was our first trip to Costa Rica together, and we were very excited to combine daily activities with romantic evenings. Rancho Armadillo proved to be a scenic and serene location. Each morning breakfast awaited us - hot coffee, smoothies, fresh fruit and juice, a waffle bar, cereal options, and an assortment of breads.

The room was spacious. And the bed was super comfy. Not that we spent much time in our room, but there were also plenty of English-speaking channels on the television. The free WIFI was an added bonus.

Rick, the proprietor, proved to be a knowledgable and considerate host. He had no shortage of recommendations of restaurants, beaches, and activities. (He even shared interesting details about the local wildlife.) It was such a treat to have him as a friendly and willing resource.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Enfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I can only reaffirm what has already been said. We stayed for 5 nights at Rancho Armadillo and would highly recommend it. It has an amazing view, gorgeous grounds and has lots of activities close by but the main reason the experience of staying here is such a great one is because of Rick. He could not be more knowledgeable or helpful. He gave us such good advice for our whole trip months ahead while we were still in the planning stages.He truly goes above and beyond, arranging activities we were interested in (and at a discount!), printing off maps and directions, calling ahead for us, etc.
We had one of his famous meals one beautiful evening as the sun was setting and it could not have been better! He always made sure I had gluten-free, vegetarian options. After this amazing meal, we vowed we would never eat again but there we were the next morning at the waffle bar!
Wi-fi was very reliable and accessible all over the property if that is important to anyone.
The only minor negative which did not impact us in any way was that some things.. lounge chairs, etc. were a little tired, showing the effects of that relentless sun that we loved! And if you are intending to use Rick's kitchen to prepare your meals be aware that if Rick is cooking for guests that evening, it is not easy to do but we just took advantage of this to go try out the restaurants that Rick recommends (in all price ranges). I guarantee that if you notice this, you will soon forget it as you take in the view and the gardens.
You will not be sorry if you choose to stay at Rancho Armadillo during your stay in Costa Rica!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Rancho Armadillo for the first 6 days of our trip to Costa Rica (our honeymoon) and we absolutely loved it. We had chosen Rancho Armadillo based on the reviews we'd read on trip advisor (which is why I'm now making it a point to review as well - this is my first one on the site). It's a very comfortable set up. The property is very peaceful, there is a common area which is I guess a terrace with a beautiful view. Lovely place to just lie in a hammock and relax, watch views. The owner Rick is very knowledgeable about the area and very helpful at arranging visits and suggestions throughout the area and in other parts of Costa Rica. It's very close to the beach, but I definitely recommend renting a car as it gives you more flexibility as well to check out some of the more secluded beaches (and a 4 X 4 is very important, we didn't get one and it was definitely a mistake).
Breakfast is included and is very nice. I saw a monkey on his property and some beautiful birds. He has a lovely pool which we meant to take advantage of but kept ourselves busy exploring the area instead. We had planned the rest of our trip in another city and were going to stay in another area and hotel before our flight out of Costa Rica (from Liberia) and loved Rancho Armadillo and The Rick Experience so much that we came back to the hotel before we flew out for another couple days.
He is also an amazing chef. My husband surprised me one day by arranging a meal by Rick - and with me being an immensely picky eater he was a bit concerned how I would enjoy it. Basically, my husband gave Rick an idea of my food preferences and then Rick created the menu and both of us were surprised by it on the day of. I absolutely loved it. I've since been on a cruise and while the food there was amazing as well, I can say without doubt, that I most definitely enjoyed his more.

This isn't a typical hotel - it doesn't have a restaurant on site (again, you can arrange a meal through Rick though), or a gym - it does have a pool which is why I'll still give the fitness centre an average rating, it doesn't have a spa on site, but you can arrange for a massage or a manicure/pedicure in advance (we did a couples massage one night) and to be honest you really can't understand the feel and experience of this place until you get there yourself. There's lots of activities to do closeby (scuba diving, snorkeling, zip lining, we went to Nicaragua for a day) but the real charm of Rancho Armadillo is Rick. He's full of helpful advice to ensure your trip goes well and he makes you feel very comfortable and as if you're a part of the family. Rustic, charming, with character and stunning views - Rancho Armadillo was a wonderful experience for us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My family of four had the pleasure to visit CR for the first time and spend 8 days at Rancho back in July. There aren’t enough great words to describe our experience. Gretchen P’s review below paints a 100% true and accurate detailed picture of Rick’s treasure. The property is peacefully isolated and perched perfectly on a mountain overlook of the ocean. Before we discovered Rancho on Trip Advisor, we researched other ways to tour CR, which included beach resorts, tour buses or flying into San Jose and renting a car. We just couldn’t get excited about crowded resorts, bouncing across the country in a tour bus, or bearing the thought of navigating in and out of San Jose. Then I discovered and contacted Rick, and he immediately soothed all of the worries with his amazing personal style. Rick genuinely makes every effort humanly possible to cater to his guests as well as take care of his staff, and appears to spend every waking moment doing so. We took his advice on the car rental and most of the activities on his website and the result was an enjoyable, seamless, zero-hassle, event-free vacation – wow!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Rancho Armadillo Estate? Share your experiences!