We stayed in Villa Ginger #2 and Villa Las Olas #4. Our week stay was too short. Like others mentioned: the villas are very well-stocked, beds and other furniture very comfortable, great base for outings, the onsite restaurant is good for both luch and dinner.
Villa Las Olas has the best location in the resort for privacy, trees on one side and landscaped privacy between it and the villa next door and a wonderful private pool! Villa Ginger has a great covered patio and a slightly better beach view. The beach is even closer that it looks in the photos onVRBO. While we were there the resort seemed pretty empty, very few people at the restaurant, resort pool and beach. That was wonderful for us! Easy to keep track of kids. Space to play frisbee on the beach. No waiting at the bar/restaurant.
The beach is so close that we didn't bother to bring towels with us, just walked back up to the villa and plopped down on very comfy patio furniture. Snorkeling was so easy any time of day; just put on your mask and stick your face in the water anywhere. There were always fish to see. Around the rocks at either end of the beach was most populated but plenty to see in the middle too. There was only one afternoon that the water was a bit murky. And the water is very warm
I had read that it was rainy season at the time of our visit but we only got rain once while zipling about an hour away from the resort. Zipling was great anyway and was combined with a hot springs visit near Mira Valles! We also enjoyed an ATV tour and a wave-runner tour. The wave-runner tour was particularly good because the bay was wide-open with very few boats. So I wasn't worried about how wild my 20yo was driving; he only took one spill.
The on-site restaurant is good. Juan is very friendly. Get a smoothie by the pool, but if you order food walk upstair and eat at the tables. These birds that look like giant blue-jays are very agressive. While my 11yo was holding a plate of fries one landed on her head, scared the daylights out of her!
We also like Father Roosters (very close) and we really liked Ginger (25 minutes away). Make a reservation for Ginger; it's small and gets busy. They have a great selection of tapas.
In the evenings we were visited by raccoons. They are taller and sleeker that the ones I've seen in the States. After petting one that someone had as a pet while we were on the ATV ride I was tempted to feed them. I bet a lot of people do cuz they seemed very comfortable literally lying around within 5' of us in the yard. Instead we took lots of pictures of them.
Costa Ricans are pleasant and pretty low-key. Not a thousand vendors trying to sell you something every time you turn around. When I inquired about Villa Las Olas I asked about a 2nd unit and the owner, LaRaye, recommended Villa Ginger. LaRaye sent me her notes. Read them thoroughly, great information. And the concierge, Kelsey, used by Villa Ginger's owner set up activities, car rentals and reservations for us. Both great resources! I would go back to this resort and these villas and I will recommend both to my friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bahia Pez Vela Resort is located on a secluded bay on the Papagayo Gulf near Playa Ocotal, only 3 miles from Playas del Coco and about 30 minutes from the Liberia Airport.Our Resort has 40 privately owned Villas that are used for vacation rentals. We have both beach front and ocean view Villas, all are 3 bedroom, 21/2 bath, fully furnished with full kitchen plus laundry facilities. The Villa prices range from $240 to $750 depending on location, season, and amenities.Our Picante Restaurant is next to 3 of our 4 swimming pools that overlook the black sand beach and the bay. It is available for weddings, meetings and other special events.Bahia Pez Vela Resort features snorkeling in our bay, easy pick up for fishing tours and a convenient location for enjoying Guanacaste area attractions and tours.We are sure that our Resort is a perfect resource for you, your family & friends. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Bahia Pez Vela Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Pez Vela Hotel Playas Del Coco
- Bahia Pez Vela Resort Costa Rica/Playas Del Coco