“Beautiful place geat staff” 5 of 5 stars

Villa Buena Onda
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street, Playas del Coco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Playas del Coco
New York City, New York
“Beautiful place geat staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place is beautiful and quiet, you can hear birds chirping and watch the beautiful sun set enjoying your drink in the pool.
The staff is very friendly, polite and helpful. Jennifer gave us directions to this place very precisely. The hospitality and food is amazing.
It is very close to the Del Coco beach yet very quiet which makes it a perfect vacation place.
We loved it!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The moment we arrived we felt right at home . The staff was absolutly warm and caring. All the needs we had were inmediatly taken care of in a courteous and promt manner . The Hotel has a great charm , with breathtaking views of the Ocean from our room and almost all the areas.The food was excellent . Service also was excellent and friendly. Beautiful pool with excellent service.We strongly recomend the massage!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I traveled with friends and stayed at the wonderful Villa Buena Onda. We were met on arrival by the hotel staff and everyone was so welcoming (I especially appreciated the little damp towel for cooling down). We were taken to our Ocean View room and the views of the Pacific from our balcony were so lovely. The rooms are very big and spacious and the beds were incredibly comfortable. I such a great sleep when I stayed there.

We decided to quickly get changed and go for a drink and cool off in the incredible infinity pool. This infinity pool is the best I have been in. Javier the bartender supplied us with some cold beers to get us in the mood. Point to note, Javier did this for the whole vacation and always had a smile on his face!

The food was incredible and such a great choice from the A La Carte menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. For breakfast I really recommend the Guanacaste Breakfast Burrito, it was so delicious. For lunch, well I´m a burger kind of guy, and these home made burgers were right up my alley. Dinner... a big shout out for the Baby-back Ribs, so tender and delicious. Overall the food was brilliant and chef Gabriel is a clearly a great chef.

The staff at the hotel were so friendly and accommodation, they just could not do enough for us. It was such a personalized service that it almost was like living in my own villa with private staff. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the staff new our names.

Villa Buena Onda, is such a quiet retreat and a true boutique hotel. With only 7 rooms it just feels so relaxed and informal, yet the staff treat you like royalty the whole time you are there. I especially recommend it to those looking for a quiet vacation and to unwind. It´s particularly awesome for those looking for somewhere romantic and private. It´s an amazing alternative to the large All Inclusive resorts.

I will visit again one day! I recommend you visit it!

Room Tip: Get an Ocean View just to maximize the views of the Pacific Ocean.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

What an amazing week! We began planning for a week with family somewhere in the world that would offer just what we found in Costa Rica! There were 8 of us...all family, all adults. We wanted to celebrate a birthday, have a large enough house to be able for everyone to have some private space and yet be able to have family time as well. With the 2 story home with 7 elegant bedroom suites with incredible views, 2 pools (one an infinity washing into the lower pool), swim up up bar with 4 stools where we spent a lot of time at lunch and throughout the day, safe and secure with a 9 person staff to do everything at our beckoned call and much more, nothing compared to our 8 days at Villa Buena Onda.
I had searched far and wide from the Amafi Coast, French Canals Cruises, Spanish Coast, the entire Caribbean, but it was not until I heard about Villa Buena Onda in Costa Rica did that get my attention. We began by talking with Gaby of Costa Rica Vacations in October and planned our trip for the last week of May. Everything she told us was perfect and was just as she had said only better. It offered EVERYTHING! And the downstairs are inside and out is accessible!

When I say everything, I mean the whole experience beginning with being met at the Liberia Airport by Villa Buena Onda Manager, Dayana and driver Sergio and in 20 minutes walking into the Villa with a welcoming staff complete with a welcome drink and tour. It wasn’t long before we were in our bathing suits enjoying the pool, scenery, making new friends with the staff. Cristian and Javier (bartenders) were incredible--always available and innovative with drinks....Try Cristian’s special margarita. WOW!

Our meals prepared by Chef Gabriel and his assistant, Diego, were scrumptious--whether breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Beautiful deserts...Flaming Banana’s Foster, etc. We could choose from a beautifully prepared menu or make up our own combination and choose the location....in the room, by the pool, pool bar, dining table outside, inside, or on the go....outstanding service! While visiting with several people on the plane following our trip and telling them about the Villa and our experiences there, they were so envious....they had stayed at the FOUR SEASONS and said the food was not so good, service was great, but it was just a beautiful hotel with a view.

Each morning when I woke up before everyone else, I would ease downstairs to the pool deck to have some of the rich Costa Rican coffee and read....wonderful time....gradually everyone made their way to the pool deck for a swim or visiting or working crosswords, checking their ipad (free wifi available) or taking a walk and taking in this beautiful place. Breakfast was whenever we wanted it individually or collectively. I will have to say that the banana sauce pancakes were the BEST I have ever had! I probably had them 5 mornings with crisp bacon.

Now, the staff: Dayana (Diana) was unbelievable. So very knowledgable about everything and quite a negotiator with any of the tours, side trips, special things to do. Don’t make any plans or reservations for tours or things to do until you arrive and discuss with Dayana. She will not only set them up with the best possible, but accompany you on most of them. Jennifer is another manager (tireless, accommodating & sensitive) who makes sure the staff functions properly and she and Dayana seem to be in concert with the way things are run. One of them is always available 24/7 while you are there and makes sure that anything we could possible want is cared for. Rosa and Migadalia kept the house in perfect order. Edino kept the pool pristine and ready for us at all times and was always smiling. There was transportation always ready for any planned side trip to CoCo (5 minutes by van...walk in 20). We did a sunset cruise on a 68’ sailboat , snorkeling, an incredible FUN and exciting zip line experience, as well as many other things and a VERY SPECIAL TRIP to Gabriel’s Grandmother’s home for a cooking lesson....unbelievable!.

For the birthday party, decorations were up, music playing, local dancing girls and a band showed up for an interactive party complete with costumes and special dances. Chef Gabriel and staff set up a beautiful table outside on the pool deck as the sun was setting on the Pacific and a huge special buffet was prepared. I could go on and on and you probably think I’m going to, but this vacation with family was the best that we have ever had as a family and it was because of the location, the Villa Buena Onda, and a fabulous staff! As we prepared to depart, there were sharing of gifts, hugs, and tears of goodbye as we left our Costa Rica Family.

Room Tip: The 2 upstairs corner suites have glassed in huge showers with incredible views! There are two down...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Playa Guiones, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here for just a couple nights in May. It's taken me some time to get to writing a review as I was trying to come up with something new to say! I can't come up with anything that has not been said before, this place is just fantastic in every way! The food is FAR superior than what you would normally get at the big All-Inclusive resorts. And with only 7 rooms, it's also much more comfortable in the ample common areas. Can't say enough good things about this place and it's staff!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our stay in Villa Buena Onda for our anniversary was a perfect! The view of the Pacific from our room was amazing. The friendliness of the staffs and their customer service are beyond expectations! We felt so comfortable, just like we were in our home except better! The food, cleanliness, and drinks were excellent. Definitely will return on our next visit to Costa Rica and look forward to see them again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I decided to travel to Costa Rica on a whim and it was the best trip I've been on ever! As a young, single female who hasn't studied Spanish in more than 8 years, a lot of my family and friends were worried about my safety. But, the staff was in the airport awaiting my arrival with huge smiles and they were beyond accommodating during my 6-day stay! I can't say enough about what a pleasure it was to stay there and in one of the Ocean View suites. The villa looks exactly as it does in the pictures and the entire venue is eco-friendly right down to the bathroom goodies (organic shampoo, conditioner, soap) that I wish I could've bottled and taken home -- nice touch! The other great thing is the Villa has only 7 rooms! I was lucky enough that for the majority of the trip (4 days) I only shared it with one other couple so it was exactly the serene retreat I was hoping for.

The food was so good! I recommend the seafood soup if it's on the menu. I had it every day for dinner! Chef Gabriel even obliged my request to join him in the kitchen to learn how to make it (along with the rest of the meal).

While there, I went on the Borinquen tour, which included horseback riding, zip lining, lunch and hot mud/springs. It was well worth every penny! On the return ride home, my driver even stopped along the road so I could try raw sugar cane and jocote! I also did Ashtanga yoga and received a massage on the villa deck. I went into Playa del Coco for a facial and for drinks and live music to interact with the ticos!

I can't say enough great things about my stay...especially the entire staff (Javier, Matelia, Gabriel, Luis, Jennifer...I'm missing a few so sorry)!!! They went out of their way to make me feel welcomed and their English is very good (although I asked them to speak to me in Spanish so I could brush up on my skills -- that was an adventure in itself)!

I would return to Villa Buena Onda again and again and have already suggested it to my friends! You will not be disappointed.

P.S. The is the first review I've ever written, which goes to show just how important it was to me to recommend this place!

Room Tip: Both the pool view and ocean view rooms are great. For a few dollars more, spring for the ocean view...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Villa Buena Onda? Share your experiences!