“10 Year Wedding Anniversary Trip 8/11/13 - 8/18/13” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

You added The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal to your Saves list
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Rate Guaranteed
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
Monroe, Washington
“10 Year Wedding Anniversary Trip 8/11/13 - 8/18/13”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We are SPG Platinum members and stayed in Tower 1, room 1308 during our stay at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal. With that said, we have stayed at MANY Starwood resorts, have ownership invested in the Westin Princeville, Kaua`i, HI and this resort, overall provided for a very nice stay. Being in Tower 1, meant that we were part of The Royal Beach Club which was very well done but you have to be seeking a quiet environment not a party environment. Our pool was not overcrowded and we could rent a private poolside cabana for just $20 USD a day. Nelson, was the full time guy to see there. He was extremely helpful and genuinely nice. We loved him. People need to realize though that while all the food and drinks are included in this resort, that tipping should not be forgotten. Everyone at the resort accepts USD just as happily as the local currency, the Colones. They do not require it or make you feel guilty if you don't tip, but remember everyone - they are providing a service and good service should always be rewarded. I am gluten free so I contacted the resort ahead of time and Tanya Campos, the F&B manager had notified the restaurants of my restriction. There was a hostess, Carolina Ponce, who went above and beyond the normal job description of a hostess. By the 2nd night she knew us by name and ALWAYS let the waiter know of my food allergy. The Mediterranean restaurant even had a gluten free brownie for desert for me! It was OUTSTANDING. You'll need to book reservations at the restaurants early or ahead of time as you must have one in order to dine. The food was very good and options plentiful. Room service however had a very limited dinner menu but every morning I'd order the coffee (which was delicious) with warm soy milk to the room. Much better then the little coffee maker. Takes 45 min to deliver so I'd just call and order it for a specific time the night before. That was nice. We had rented a car for the whole trip, but we really didn't need to. We should have just found an alternative to/from the airport and just rented a car for when we drove to the Cloud Forest. This resort does not have a private beach and as soon as you leave the gate you are met by people who offer trips and massages. We did not take advantage of this but met people who did a tour with Eric and loved it. There are MANY stray dogs on the beach that are SO skinny. I bought a bag of dog food and always had it in my bag. I would feed them each time I went to the beach. They are very friendly and I had to be careful that they wouldn't eat too fast as I didn't want to make them sick. I'm a dog person so I enjoyed this, but felt for them when I left. You can rent (for free) a mask and goggles and snorkel right there off the beach (over to the right where the rock formations are is best) but I heard taking a tour you see much more. We took the horseback ridding tour though Swiss Travel and enjoyed it very much. Saw a monkey, in the jungle area then went down to the beach were we let the horses run at a FULL gallop. it was wonderful. Something I suggest is to visit the photo shop in the small shopping area of the resort. You can book a session which is about an hour and bring a change of clothes. We had photos made in a nice linen outfit then changed into shorts/polo's for shots out on the beach. We thought we were only going to buy the minimum (10 digital images for $150) but we spent $375 for 40! They turned out amazing!!! Overall we had a wonderful, relaxing time celebrating our 10 year union. We're happy for the memories Costa Rica and this resort provided.

Room Tip: Lot's of walking so you'll want to be as close to the restaurants as possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear TNM2013,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We're happy to know that you had a great anniversary trip and enjoyed all the services and facilities of the resort and, of course, the Royal Beach Club.
About the beach, all the beaches in Costa Rica are public by law, so, there are external factors beyond our control.
We want to thank you for your kind comments about our staff, we work with passion to provide our guests beautiful memories and a great time with us.
We hope you can back to visit us soon.

PR Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (993)
North Wales, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My family and my boyfriend recently traveled to The Westin in Playa Conchal, Costa Rica. We had never been to Costa Rica before and weren't quite sure what to expect. Now all we want to do is go back.

The Westin

This was my second all inclusive experience and by far my favorite. The food was excellent everywhere. From the buffets, to the a la carts to the room service everything was awesome. I heard some people commenting their room service was slow to arrive, but we always seemed to get ours in less than the time that was quoted. We also didn't have any trouble making our reservations for that night in the morning, but I suppose that could be tougher in the high season.

The people working at the Westin were AWESOME as well. So nice and helpful. I don't remember specific names but everyone from the pool towel guys, to the maids, to the bartenders, to the trolley guys, to the waiters, to the hostesses, to the vendors, everyone was nice, helpful, and always willing to answer questions about the resort, Costa Rica, speaking Spanish, whatever you asked.

We stayed in two junior suites which were great, the beds were comfy and there was plenty of room to move around. There wasn't much of any drawer space for clothes but EVERY time the maids came they folded all of our clothes into neat piles, made us towel animals, and organized our toiletries, in addition to making the beds. Talk about going above and beyond.

The hotel grounds were incredibly well kept and everything was beautiful. We did go during rainy season but the rains generally came and went pretty quickly, and sometimes cooled things down a bit. The one night while we were at dinner there was an unyielding torrential downpour, but the Westin staff made sure to send extra trolleys out so that no one had to get caught. Not only that, but when the truck showed up to take us back to the rooms, the drivers got out and walked everyone from the restaurant to the truck with an umbrella. Little things like that truly set the Westin apart from the other all inclusive resort I stayed at.

Our only dealings with the Swiss Travel guys were to rent snorkels, but they were great too. The guys in the hut got us everything we needed, told us where to go to see the most fish, and joked around with me the whole time trying to force me to speak and understand more spanish (which I did, I was mostly just nervous.) The first time we went to take out equipment they told us they would give it to us, but recommended we wait until the next morning because everyone had said the water was murky and tough to see that day. Sure enough, the next morning was bright and sunny and we saw a ton of fish, so that was a good recommendation as well.

And of course, we can't talk about the beach without talking about Eric Garcia. Eric came and met us as we walked onto the beach on our first afternoon in Costa Rica. He asked if we had heard about him from Trip Advisor, which we had, and then proceeded to take us down to the beach and show us where different places were, where to go to snorkel, where his wife gave massages, etc. He showed us some tour pictures, to which we told him we would be back the next day to set up. We ended up going on the mega tour and the monkey cruise. We also told him that we wanted to see some cultural stuff, so he had our tour guide on the monkey cruise also stop in an old town, take us through a family's historic house, and saw some pottery being made as well, which was great.

For the mega tour our driver and guide was Jason. He was awesome! Spoke great english, was always smiling, and talked to us all about different things in Costa Rica. He also took our camera and got some great shots of us ziplining, going down the water slide, partaking in the mud bath, and hanging out in the lava fed hot spring. He even kept us moving quick enough so that we got to do everything ahead of the large crowd that was there, which was awesome.

Mega tour took place at a place called Vandara, and it was AMAZING as well. Everyone who worked there was awesome. The ziplining guys made sure we were safe, and once we got the hang of it did tandem with us so my sisters and I could zip line upside down, or super woman style. Then after all the activities, we had the most spectacular lunch. One of the ziplining guys made us drinks, and the others chipped in to help cook a meal that may have been the best one we had in Costa Rica, and there were some great ones! They also had a professional photographer there who got some great pictures that were very reasonably priced, so that was good too. One word of caution, Vandara is a pretty long drive from the resort, so I would bring a book for the car ride. That being said, the ride is definitely worth it.

The other tour we did was with Alex Rabbit as a tour guide for the monkey river cruise, with some cultural stuff thrown in as well. Alex was also amazing! So much energy, and a great sense of humor. He got a bunch of monkeys to come on the boat and climb all over us, found a massive iguana that came right up to the front of the boat, and pointed out all sorts of other animals along the way. He tried really hard to get a crocodile to visit our boat as well, but in his words, they were being devils, haha. He also took the time to show us the oldest school in Costa Rica, a traditional wood house, and a pottery maker as well. If you go on the river tour make sure you request Alex Rabbit, he was great.

In addition to all this I should mention one more thing about Eric and the guys on the tours. On the monkey tour my dad bought a piece of pottery from the pottery maker, and then forgot it in the back of the van. Either Alex or Jason (he was our driver again for the monkey tour) found it and took it to Eric. The next day when my sisters, boyfriend and I went down to the beach, Eric found us and pulled the pottery out of his back pack to return to our Dad. Just like the Westin, Eric and the guys he works with also go the extra mile to make sure nothing is overlooked. Thanks Eric!

If there was one area I could see room for improvement on at the Westin, it would be night time activities. As many said it did die down almost entirely at night. Now, for us this was no problem. We simply got up shortly after the sun came up and started doing things, then went to bed after a late dinner every night. However I could see how people would get annoyed with the lack of activities offered after dark. I'm sure with the help of an Activities Director or something, this very small issue, which for us wasn't actually an issue at all, could be rectified. But other than that, it seems like the Westin has great service down to a science. Excellent work amigos, and gracias for the outstanding vacation! We can't wait to come back.

One last thing, and this doesn't have to do with the Westin so much as it is a tip for others who go there, take at least one day, night, or maybe a couple nights, and go see Tamarindo. It's an awesome little town with lots of character, a great surfing beach, and again, awesome people! The guys at Kelly's rented us long boards for the tiny waves they had that day (normally I prefer a shorter board but he said we would have more fun with those, and he was right.) We also had dinner one night at the restaurant at Witch's Rock... It might have been called Joes... That was also excellent. The sushi and nachos were outstanding and the house beer was good too (incase you get tired of imperial.)

Room Tip: I would try and get a room closest to the pool and beach, but it's easy to get around the resort...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Christie H,
Thank you very much for all your kind comments, and for sharing your experience with us.
We're happy to know that your first time in Costa Rica was with us, and that you enjoyed fully!
We will be waiting for your next visit soon!
Warm regards and Pura Vida!

Zasha Pérez Gallardo
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at the Westin from 8/12/13 to 8/17/13 and would highly recommend it to anyone. From the second we stepped in the door we were treated like royalty. We were immediately handed drinks, upgraded to an amazing ocean view bungalow, taxied to our room, and welcomed with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. The whole resort was the perfect mix of fun and excitement with luxury and relaxation.

The room: We stayed in 4013. The "01" indicates the bungalow number and the last digit indicates the room number within the bungalow (8 rooms per bungalow) I would ask for something closer to the restaurants, we had quite a walk. You could order a complitmentary shuttle at any time but rather than waiting for one we just walked, which was not well lit at night. And while our bungalow was ocean view, it was not ocean access. The rooms are amazing. We had a rainfall type shower which we loved. The minibar was continuously stocked multiple times per day. It seemed like every time we left our room they filled it. The bed and linens were amazing, I havent slept that good in years, which was much needed after a stressful year of wedding planning! The room was very quiet- couldnt hear anyone in a neighboring room or oustide the entire trip. I always felt safe, they have security walking around constantly, I'm assuming because it is a public beach and they dont want anyone just walking in the resort.

Food: The restaurants were all very good. We met friends who preferred different ones than we did, so I think you'll get a different opinion no matter who you talk to. Definitely make your dinner reservations the day you get in. We aimed for 8-8:30 reservations that way we were always back from our excursions in time and could optimize our daylight. My husbands favorite was the Italian (Faisanella) while mine was the Latin (Las Candelas I think). There wasn't one we didnt like. The pizza/pasta one for lunch was amazing, skip the buffet and go there every day! The breakfast buffet was very good. Room service was good too but has pretty limited choices and usually arrived somewhat cold.

Drinks: The bartenders are amazing and knew our names by the second day. We never had trouble getting a drink. Some were inevitably more generous with the amount of liquor than others. They were all so fun and personable and I was so sad to say goodbye. Johan, Jonathan, and Jorge at the pool bar work their butts off and we would see them at other bars too working hard long after the pool had closed. All the employees were just so pleasant all around...I just can't say enough about the staff.

Excursions: Use Erik Garcia and John Rodriguez at the beach. They are awesome. We were skeptical about them at first but had read all the positive reviews and gave them a shot and are SO glad we did. We did the Mega Combo tour of horseback riding, zip lining, mud baths, hot springs which also came with an AMAZING authentic costa rican lunch. We had so much fun on the trip and made friends with other couples staying at the resort along the way. Then along with the other couples we met, we did the Catamaran sunset snorkeling tour. It was one of the coolest things I've ever done. The boat was amazing, the views incredible, the staff was always at our service with nonstop rum punch and food. They said if we caugh fish they would sashimi it right in front of us but we didnt catch a thing. We saw whales, dolphins, sea turtles, and our guide caught a puffer fish while we were snorkeling. We got caught in a storm and didnt get to see a sunset but it was still far beyond our expectations.

Dont forget bugspray! They will charge you an arm and a leg if you forget and you will definitely want it. We kept it on all week (try Avon Skin so soft sunscreen/bug repelling lotion) and didnt get a single bite while other friends we met were itching nonstop.

The only complaint was that the pool closed at 6pm and there wasnt much to do afterwards. We really didnt mind though, because we got to bed early, got some solid rest, and got up with the sun to maximize our day.

We went during offseason, so the resort was pretty quiet. It was nice, but that also meant that things were closed frequently - like the sports bar was never open while we were there.

Some friends we met upgraded to the Royal Beach club. It totally doesnt seem worth it. The Royal beach pool was so quiet that they all got bored and came to party with us at the main pool where there is so much going on. Plus the royal beach club is far away from everything, and from talking to them it sounded like our room was nicer.

The Spa is pricey but worthwhile. We never splurge on spa treatments or anything so we treated oruselves to hot stone massages. They were incredible. Then you can also use their jacuzzis, steam room, sauna, and a very cool hot tub surrounded by a cold tub to alternate in. And seems silly - but they had the best melon infused water I chugged a ton after the sauna! It's those little details that make a difference and they did such a great job at everything.

The resort was always clean, you saw people cleaning nonstop. You can tell everyone that works there really takes pride in what they do. Housekeeping even folded some of my clothes that I left on the floor and neatly arranged all my toiletries and makeup that my husband complains I leave all over the counter!

Hopefully this was helpful but feel free to message me if you have any questions.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Rachael Z,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us! and for choosing us for your honeymoon.
We're happy to know that you had a great time with us and enjoyed the facilities, food, drinks and services, thank you so much for your kind comments about the resort and the staff.
Also, we're glad that you explored a little more of Costa Rica!
About the ocean view / access, as we're located in a natural reserve, we cannot cut the threes around, that's against our ecological values, and also, as all the beaches in Costa Rica are publics by law, the beach is not private, so, for your security, we have to control the access.
We will be more than happy to have you back! And we will be waiting for your next visit.
Warm regards and pura vida!

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed Monday-Monday for our honeymoon at The Westin. Bear with me thru this review as I'll be including lots of details for you, as I found the reviews helpful for when we went.

We arrived in Costa Rica & found a taxi at the Liberia airport for $100 for the 45 min ride...$80 on the return trip. We arrived at the main hotel lobby and were greeted by staff who had a shuttle arrive to take us to the Royal Beach Club lobby (adults only side). My new husband ran to the lobby bar, grabbed us 2 mojitos and off we went. We arrived at the RBC lobby and were greeted with more mojitos. We lounged and checked in and waited maybe 30 minutes until our rooms were ready. When the trip was booked, we were told only rooms with 2 queens were available but upon walking into our room, we had a king bed. We also went during the "rainy season" but only experienced rain a few times. Each time it rained it was during a time that didnt effect us and it was always short lived.

David was our butler the first day or two. He was wonderful, gave us a tour of our room and told us he would take care of whatever we needed. We tried getting into a restaurant the first night but it was "booked". David went by the restaurant around 6 pm and saw us on our balcony to tell us he got us reservations for 7! GREAT -- upon arrival at the restaurant (which happened every night), there were tables upon tables that were open. We booked our reservations that night for the rest of the week. David was transferred to RBC Tower 2 for the rest of the week, which we were sad about, but we saw him on our last day, he remembered us and talked to us for a good bit about different things. Thank you David!

ROOM -- our room was very nice. Our mini bar was stocked daily (beer, liquor, water, juices). The difference between Royal Beach & the other side of the resort is that RBC gets liquor. One day, the water was trickling out of the faucets. We were told nothing about this. When we went down we were told they were fixing a problem. Around 7 pm we got a letter under our door telling us they would be fixing it over night. When we woke up it was fine.

POOL -- the pool was very nice & quiet. Only adults on our side. We never got to the pool early enough (I observed this from our balcony) but there were staff walking around that would hand out towels to people which I assumed were cold because people would put them on their faces. I also saw popsicles being passed out and on our last day we did make it down for that. Very cool! The poolside servers were great about getting us drinks/food. Definitely reserve a bali bed for $20 as its definitely comfortable. We did this on our last day. My husband & I typically cant sit still for very long but it was a good way to end our honeymoon. The main pool at the resort had a lot more action. There were many activities at the resort, some of which occurred at the pool but we never took part in the activities. There were also photographers running around the pool, so my husband set up a time with one to do a photoshoot in clothing and then our bathing suits and we are so happy we did. The pictures are amazing!

FOOD -- We enjoyed all of the restaurants. At our first restaurant we ordered our dinner & a risotto (which was an entree) as our appetizer. We were told because it was an entree we would be charged $5 more. OK, no problem...but this made us nervous as we were "all inclusive" and we were worried if we would be charged the rest of the week for an "extras" we wanted. The first night was the only night we were charged extra, so we are thinking we were fooled. OH WELL. it was $5, you live & learn. The Lamb & sea bass was delicious at the Italian restaurant, the parmesan risotto balls are a must at Merditerra...we ate the one order and asked for a second they were so good! We met friends from Alaska and they told us not to get the sushi at Bamboo the Asian restaurant, so when we went, we avoided that and got the chicken satay and egg rolls...then got chicken stirfry & beef stirfry. All was thoroughly enjoyable. Friends we met said the dumplings were so good that they got 2 orders (sorry I dont remember the name, so ask when you are there). At Cauri, the French restaurant, you should definitely try the sea scallops in a half shell as an appetizer. I had the steak one night and duck confit the other, I liked the steak better. I also tried their tuna tartar (for the first time) and it was great! We enjoyed the buffet for breakfast. We went once for dinner & ordered room service after because it wasnt too great. I felt the buffet food was very salty, but managable with lots of water :) We LOVED the pizza/pasta place for lunch & ate there 3 times! We ate at Caracola one time for lunch and that was ok. We also ate burgers/sandwiches at the RBC pool several times, along with ceviche, guacamole, salsa and chips! We ordered room service as much as possible. We preordered breakfast multiple mornings if we had to be up extra early. We got omelettes, hashbrowns, bacon, coffee, OJ. We also ordered pasta & sandwiches from them, all which were delicious. They were also extremely efficient. If they told us they would be there in 45 minutes, they were on the dot with their arrival. We ordered room service one night/morning (2 AM) in a friends room for 8 people -- so imagine the amount of food -- it showed up, on time and we were happy people. Also, from 11-12 nothing is open for food except room service. The buffet closes at 11 and the other places arent open until 12.

EXCURSIONS -- Go to ERIK on the beach! I read about him on here prior to going to Costa Rica so we went to find him on the first day & had no problem. Erik hooked us up with the Mega Tour (water slide, mud bath, hot spring, zip lining, horseback riding & lunch for $100/each -- TOTALLY WORTH IT). We had the best time. I was hoping to ATV instead of horseback riding, which I was told I could, but I couldnt... I got over it. Our tour guide, Mitch, also took us to an oceanview bar (it was cloudy that day) after the excursion. That was awesome. My husband was able to cut open a coconut there, which got many others doing the same. This was full day...We left around 7:30 and returned maybe around 5-5:30. I went to Costa Rica to zipline & see monkeys. I didnt see any on the resort (they have some on the beach but they stay up in the trees) so we set up another tour with Erik to feed crocodiles & monkeys. Our guide was Ricky! This was awesome & was $70/each. We also got $20/hour massages from Gigi (Eriks wife) on the beach. Must DO! We were helped out by Aaron, who is another one that works with Erik! We also bought all our souvenirs from the people on the beach. We love everything.

BEACH -- the beach is really nice & we enjoyed several mornings/afternoons heading to the beach to relax under the trees. The water color changes throughout the day as well so dont get discouraged if its not what you expect when you arrive. There are few waves which made it really nice for ocean kayaking!

NIGHTLIFE (on resort) -- there really wasnt any. We met people there who had an awesome time at Abalone Bar, but when we went it wasnt really happening. We went another night and had a fun time there but nothing as they described. They also advertized having a DJ, but there wasnt one. They closed early on other nights. There are a couple bars -- one in main lobby, one by buffet, and Abalone. IF you want a good time, go to Tamarindo ($10/person for the taxi).

TAMARINDO -- if you want to check out something different, head to the next town over. We met people who had been there several times to surf so one night 8 of us went there to have fun! We went to Pacifico and we are so glad we did. It was a great night and awesome memories were made!

INTERNET -- worked just great and is free on the royal beach side.

GOLF -- my husband tries to golf on each trip we go on & I drive the cart. The fees were outrageous but we had heard from other people they spent $85 on a round and rental clubs so my husband went in to the pro shop and got the deal. We had a fun time and enjoyed the scenery.

ASK & you shall receive -- Everyone was very helpful and kind. I saw someone had chocolate covered strawberries, I asked how I go about getting those. I was told to order them the day before I want them, well when we returned to our room that night, Erick, our night butler, had left us some :) On our last night, we also asked how we go about getting a champagne bubble bath and Erick said for us, he could do it. It was simply beautiful & came with chocolate covered strawberries again :) We only got a towel decoration one night, which I was disappointed in as its something I look forward to on tropical vacations. I would suggest doing these more often! One day I wanted chips & guacamole from room service. They told me they wouldnt deliver it, even though I was told before they would, so our daytime butler Nelsen went to the pool and got it for us :) Our other butlers for the week were Nelsen & Erick. Both were wonderful from calling our taxi to go to the airport, to taking extra special care of us, we thank you for everything!

There were a few things I didn't care for -- they didnt seem to care too much that we were on our honeymoon, maybe because there seemed to be a lot of honeymooners there. That was a big disappoint for me, as you can imagine, it was an exciting time for us, and I thought we may get some surprises because of it! I was told by friends from home who had been on their honeymoon to other places that they were given extra special treats so I had been looking forward to that. I wish they did towel decorations in the room more often. I didnt care for the "extra charge" at dinner. Also, our friends we had met on the resort had wine & chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room, but we were never told it was from them. One day we called the concierge to check to see if a Bali Bed was available as we were told to ask them if we need something...they never got back to us and looked at us confused when we asked again. When we got back home, our parents told us they called the resort to try to have things in our room for when we arrived and they were told they couldn't do that because its an "all inclusive" place. My mother in law didnt technically believe that but left it as is.

Aside from those tiny things, there is SOOO much more that helped to make it an awesome time and we really enjoyed our stay! It is a memorable honeymoon for sure!
Thank you for an awesome honeymoon!
Melissa & Derek

Room Tip: Try to reserve a room not on the bottom floor so you have a better balcony view. Rooms were more pr...
Dear Melissa S,
Thank you very much for your comments, and for choosing us for your honeymoon.
We're glad that you had a good time with us.
Thanks for your comments and suggestions, we will keep them in mind, also, about the Abalone bar, it's usually open until 2am, but in low season, it varies, depending of the hotel occupation.
About the inconvenient in the restaurant, this is completely unacceptable, in our All Inclusive you don't have to pay for any meal you have, and you can eat whatever you want, every time you want. Please, we will really appreciate if you can write to our Guest Service Manager, Mr. Yasil Alvarado, with more details about this: date, your reservation name, and if you remember the name of the person in charge of your table, Yasil's email is: yasil.alvarado@westin.com.
We will be waiting for your contact, and we hope to see you again soon.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at this resort. It was our first time to Costa Rica, and we look forward to returning! The food was very good - lots of restaurants to choose from, the rooms are small, but nice, the pool is big enough to accomodate a lot of people. Overall, we had a fabulous vacation.

A couple of negatives.....The check in and check out process needs some streamlining. The activities desk personnel, on the resort before entering the beach area, were horrible, rude, and obnoxious. I asked one of them to bring some chairs down to the beach, and I got major attitude, and then he never brought the chairs down! Looks like other people have reported the same thing, and the hotel doesn't seem to do anything about it - except an apology. There were bugs on the beach, and you have to be very careful of the undertow. One of our friends was almost pulled out - there aren't any lifeguards.

Positives.....If you are interested in activities outside the hotel, go see Erik Garcia who is immediately outside the fence as you enter the beach. At first it does feel a little "in your face", but just ask him questions about any activity you are interested in - jet ski rentals, horse back riding/tours, ATV rides/tours, deep sea fishing, etc., and he'll get you all set up at very reasonable rates with professionals. After your activity and by the end of your stay, you will be very happy with Erik's service. His wife Gigi gives incredible massages near the beach for only $20.00/hour! Totally worth it!

Before arriving at this resort, we stayed in Arenal for 2 nights - highly recommend! Overall, a beautiful country and resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear colstime,
Thank you very much for your comments.
We're glad to know that you had a good time with us and enjoyed our beautiful country.
About the issues of service of the staff in the beach, the management is working on this, beacuse this is unacceptable. Our guests are the most important to us.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, we will be waiting for your next visit!

Far Hills, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The staff was generally wonderful at the Westin, and I especially want to commend the shuttle staff managed by Errol Steve, supervisor. Two of the drivers who were really helpful and friendly were Erick and Kenny. Also, the bell boy, Andres did an excellent job.

Room Tip: We had suites that weren't too far from the beach/pool and restaurants so we could walk there wi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Victoria L,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
We're happy to know that you enjoyed your vacations in our resort. Also, we really appreciate your comments about our staff, we all work with passion to bring you a great time and amazing memories.
We will be waiting for your next visit.

Warm regards from Costa Rica,

Mahwah, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I want to first state, however, that I do not take my reviews on here lightly. Truth be told, I rely so much on this site when traveling that I feel I owe it to my fellow TripAdvisor fans to take my reviews very seriously. So, when I give this resort a 4-star rating, please believe me, it was after a lot of thinking.

I have one reason and one reason only that I am giving this hotel a 4 star rating...Bergen. Bergen was our concierge and between his personality and outright eagerness to help book reservations, excursions and more, my wife and I really had NO worries when it came to ensuring we had the best experiences at the resort.

Our room was upgraded to a one bedroom Ocean front. One thing to note about this resort. There is no, "True" Ocean front. Now, I'm not complaining here but feel some Traveler's would want to know this. Yes, the Ocean was right in front of our room but there are large trees in front of the room, so you can't see the ocean and further, you can't walk out of your room and onto the beach either. You still have to go to the main beach entrance. So, if you're on the fence as to whether it is worth it to pay more for an Ocean front, hopefully this helps you. The rooms are extremely clean and the AC worked very well. The TV cuts out a lot and there are only a few channels in English. I know that TV shouldn't be a big factor on a vacation BUT I do feel it important to note...There is ZERO night-life at this hotel. If clubs and late-night dancing are of interest to you...This is NOT your resort. One other really cool thing about our room is that we were able to see the Howler Monkey's in the trees...Very cool!

As other reviewers have noted, definitely take a moment to visit with Eric Garcia on the beach. My wife and I had previously experienced a very bad excursion having purchased one from someone on the beach in the Dominican Republic so we were very cautious. But between the reviews here and the advice of other travelers at the resort, we were confident in working with him. Not only was Eric cheaper but he had access to activities the resort did not. We even met one couple that wanted to rent a car from the hotel, they couldn't fulfill the request...Eric got a car from Alamo within 20 minutes that pulled up right onto the beach. If you take the boat tour, making sure you ask for Alex, "The Rabbit!" He's a good man and loves nature.

The restaurants were good but to be honest, there are a few things that I believe can and should be fixed. The steak in the Latin restaurant might had been 2 oz. :-) If it is truly a skirt steak, I want a skirt steak! Ha! Then there's the buffet. To this day, I do not understand why we needed to wait to be seated every time we went there. I don't get it. I also don't know why they needed to get my room number. Not that I mind this but it was just odd. I DO think having to wait to be seated (Again, at a buffet), is a little odd. If we are, however, going to have to wait, I think they need to move faster than they do. I respect the, "I'm not in Kansas anymore" mentality or in my case, NYC...And therefore, things may move slower there...But the wait was sometime too long.

They have a grill/griddle in the buffet...That station should be used to make burgers or chicken sandwiches or something on request during lunch and dinner. Quite often, it's not even being used. I also didn't feel there was enough variety in the food choices at the buffet. I think a sandwich station (Kind of like a Subway store but not with bad bread or cheap meats) would be a great option for them. The pasta was good but how many days in a row can you eat pasta? The desserts were good but they leave strawberry and vanilla ice cream out and the chocolate is really only available when requested. I don't get that. Shouldn't strawberry be what should be requested? And it is these little details that keep me from giving the resort a higher rating. They have a Pizza place that I believe shares the same main kitchen with the buffet. Why not have pizza in the buffet?

Throughout the resort, there are these small things, that really can easily be fixed but seem to be ignored, instead. A few examples:

1. The lighting at night is non-existent. It is so dark that you literally cannot see where you're going. We had to use our iPhone, Flashlight apps. I know they are into energy conservation but there is no reason solar-powered lights can't be installed on pathways...Especially by the pool.

2. They don't have waiters coming around to offer drinks to guests, unless they are part of the, "Family Club." As someone who had the best All-Inclusive level package they offer, why wouldn't this be included? PLUS the fact, most of the time, the waiters are just waiting around. I mean, maybe if the Family Club gets jammed it wouldn't be possible. But if the waiters are just waiting anyway, why not extend the service? It doesn't cost more for the resort and these guys would get more tips.

3. Getting towels is a similar issue. There is a stand where the waiter stands...And if you have Family Club, you can get towels from him. If not, it's not the most convenient of locations to have to get towels every day at the Activity stand. They need more places to get towels. Even if the bar had towels it would be more convenient.

4. I want to be very clear I am not AT ALL allowing this to influence my rating here...But I feel they need sweetened iced tea and Coke products available...Not Pepsi products. There is a reason Coke sells so much better than Pepsi and I think guys should get what they need.

5. The room service menu is VERY weak. That's a great hamburger but next to that, everything is so fancy and I don't get it. Now, you may argue, why does room service matter that much? A LOT of restaurants get sold out and so this is the only option over the buffet. The menu needs to be simpler. Why not pizza, some regular sandwiches? I know it isn't America...I get it. But the menu is CLEARLY aimed at an American audience and theY have an onsite Pizzeria. I don't get it.

Now, for my wife and I, this was not an issue...But I feel because I'm writing a review, I should add that there is absolutely nothing, nothing, nothing to do at night here. We were back in our room at 9 PM every night. Again, we were fine with this because we're not the clubbing type...But if you are, this hotel might not be for you. With that said, if you are like my wife and I and like to make it an early night, they have some great movie channels in English and Spanish. You haven't lived until you've seen Robin Williams dubbed into Spanish! LOL!

Overall, this hotel is brilliant and I would eagerly stay again. I just wish they would make these simple adjustments.

One last bit of advice...Actually no, this is more like instruction...BRING DEEP WOODS Bug Spray. Yes, deep woods. You have no idea how eaten alive you will be...Seriously.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is a BIT misleading. There is no true view of the ocean nor access to it outside of your...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!