“Amazing Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Save Saved
You added The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal to your Saves list
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Playa Conchal
“Amazing Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here for 9 days for our honeymoon in April 2013. We arrived early and check-in was easy, but our room was not ready yet so we relaxed in the lobby and had a drink until we were taken down to our room. The room was great! very spacious and the fridge was always stocked, but if you wanted more bottled water it was just a call away. We were only unable to get a dinner reservation one night, but the buffet was still quite good. Our favorite restaurant was the italian place, still want more of their risotto! We also loved the pizza place for lunch! We ate here almost everyday. The beach was very clean and if you walk to the left a little ways you will feel secluded as it seemed everyone stayed right by the hotel entrance. We only went in the pool once becuase it was just too warm, the ocean was much more refreshing.
We booked our tours through the hotel and had a great time! Definitely did not feel pressured to book anything as you do the second you get out on the beach with Eric. I guess that works for some people but I was turned off by him when we saw him counting his cash right on the beach.
I also celebrated by birthday on this trip and my husband arranged for me to spend the morning at the spa. He told them it was my birthday and honeymoon, and when I got there for my massage they had a cake waiting and sang to me! It's little details like this that put this resort over the top!
Overall we loved this resort and would definitely return. The beach was great, food was amazing, other guests and staff were friendly, monkeys and parrots in the trees, all made for an unfogettable honeymoon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear cmasters4,
Thank you so much for choosing us for your honeymoon and also, sharing your experience with us.
We're really happy to know that you had a great time and enjoyed our facilities, service, food and the relaxing spa, a great way to celebrate your birthday!
We will be waiting for your next visit.
Warm regards and pura vida,

1,989 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
themarine1371
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Where to begin. We were off to a bit of a bumpy star when the requested King Size bed was not available so we had to wait one night before we could move. Minor inconvenience quickly forgotten after we were treated so well upon arrival and the excellent customer service right off the bat. The staff were kind enough to push our two beds together the first night. I'm not going to bore people here with a long winded review but to sum it up, this was one of the most amazing vacations/celebrations we have had in a very long time. Never before have I wanted to actually move to a country I have vacationed in and/or learn more about their culture than in Costa Rica. People were so genuine here as well as so respectful of their surroundings and nature. Having lived and worked in large cities my entire life, this was a very pleasant change of pace and also an epiphany.
The beach was wonderful. A bit crowded at first glance but we settled in quite nicely. Plus, we found our own little spot a bit further down the beach. Kayaking, we saw some giant sea turtles and what appeared to be either a big fish or maybe even a bull shark. Sand was very soft and the water even more comforting. The only downside is that it was a bit of a pain to grab drinks back in the resort while on the public beach. No matter, we still thoroughly enjoyed the ocean.
The restaurants were excellent and our favorites were Faisanella and Mediterrea. Service was excellent in all the venues but the food at these two venues really stood out for us. I even had the opportunity to teach one of the waiters at Faisanella a little Mandarin. Caracola and Spirula were great for lunch. Both restaurants had excellent menus and great service. However we found the pizzas and pastas at Spirula to be very delicious.
We took the bike tour with the lovely Paola and although it was bit short in length, it was still quite fun. We used the bikes a few more times after the following days and it was very relaxing while also spotting several giant Iguanas, Coatis, and Raccoons.
The fitness center was excellent as well as we used this a few times both to train and cool off. Very clean, well maintained, and pleasant to train in along with a good view of the river on the treadmills. My only wish is that they put in a heavy bag as I am an avid Muay Thai practitioner.
I read several of complaints about construction and long waits for the shuttles before arriving but I noticed very little to no construction. The only area with any sort of construction was the spa/private condo area and this area was out of the way so it didn't bother us one bit. 9/10 the shuttle came within a few minutes and sometimes even instantly. Only on a rare few occasions was the wait a bit longer. A follow up call to "0" always took care of lagging shuttles however.
We also heard quite a bit about how it was the rainy season in Costa Rica at this time of the year but to be quite honest with you, it rained only a handful of times we were there and it was almost always very short in duration and quite refreshing if you you ask me. We were not perturbed by this weather and actually enjoyed swimming in the ocean while it was raining.
We took the Arenal tour where we had the opportunity to see the Costa Rican countryside, interact with some locals at the pitstops we took on the way to Arenal. I fell in love with the Ticos and Ticas of this wonderful nation. We met a mother/daughter pair from CA who were wonderful, the mother served in the US Navy as I served in the US Marine Corps. We also met a lovely newlywed couple from Alabama as well as a trio of sisters from Florida and a couple from Spain. We all became friends during our all-day trip. The boat ride to Arenal was fun as was the ziplining. On out last and longest zipline, it started pouring rain and the experience was exhilarating. Going at high speed through the jungle while rain was refreshing your entire body. Great fun. We then got to cool off, or heat up, at the Hot Springs afterwards. We had dinner at a nearby resort that had the most amazing view of the Arenal Volcano. After we had a nice dinner and a good chat with our fellow travelers, we headed back to the resort. Big shout out to our tour guide Eduardo of Swiss Travel. Eduardo was filled with knowledge, enthusiasm, and good cheer. We would strongly recommend going with Swiss Travel due to 2 reasons: A. the price points were actually lower than the highly touted Erik Garcia on the beach for the same tours and B. Swiss Travel is fully insured and bonded. Now I know that many of you think this is no big deal and that nothing will happen but when something does happen, you will be kicking yourself for not going with the insured firm and your wallet will be thanking you as well. So the choice for us was obvious, lower price point for the same tours and fully insured and licensed.
An interesting note is that out of all of the vacations we have taken all over the world, we have never met so many cool people/guests. We met a wedding party from South Carolina, a truly personable group whom we danced our butts off and sang Karaoke with one night. We met another family and brother/sister pair from Canada. Great people and we enjoyed dancing with them and hanging out with them. We also took the shuttle to Tamarindo beach and on the way there(20 minute ride), we met a family from Utah that were absolutely wonderful and with great sense of humors. We chatted with everyone on the packed van and made friends within the timeframe of the short van ride to and back from Tamarindo. I also got to surf while in Tamarindo, something I have not been able to do since moving to NYC many years ago. Beach was great with consistent waves but a bit rocky in unexpected points. The entire town was very cozy and peaceful with many cute perros strutting around, with especially cute pup that was affectionate and energetic. Great trip and I would most certainly recommend going if you have some time.
Now the nightlife is the only area we were a bit annoyed with. We found out the nightclub, Abalone, was closed for renovation. At first we were told it would be opened in a day or two but much to our chagrin, it was not opened until the very last night we were there. We would have loved to dance in Abalone and drink on the lovely deck outside the club. The nightlife at Astrea was ok considering that there were no emcees or DJs after the 9:30 nightly show concluded for the first few days. We just had to dance to the live singer and subsequent soundtracks. The chairs were also left in their original positions and I felt that if they were cleared a bit after the show, it would have created a better vibe for dancing and mingling. However, eventually, the lovely hostess of many of the shows and her fellow staff hosted a karaoke/live DJ night which was very fun. Their efforts for July 4th are also worth mentioning. They went above and beyond for this American holiday, with a great fireworks display as well as a small buffet and a live band. I was impressed. The only regret is that we were not able to meet up with all of our friends at Abalone for a few night of drinking and dancing.
Now to the staff. I wanted to mention a few as there are too many awesome people there. Andre at the beach activities center. The guy cracked us up every single day and brought a smile to our faces every time we went to the beach. Daniel, with his perpetual smile and awesome attitude always made our day when we saw him in the activities center. Alexander in the RBC clubhouse who was so amicable and we enjoyed recapping our day to him every time we went in for coffee time. Alexander made the most amazing coffees, especially the Irish coffee. I wanted to ask him what his secret was. And last but not least, our awesome, amazing concierge, David, in tower 2. The guy was so attentive, genuine, and full of good energy. He helped us on several occasions with various matters, including helping us unlock our safe. Truly a great guy that embodies Costa Rica along with his wonderful fellow staff members.
Checkout was a bit hectic but everything was taken care of eventually before our car came to take us to the airport. One thing unrelated to the resort some of you should know is that to leav the country, you will have to pay a 29USD departure tax per person and the line was pretty long so adjust your departure schedule accordingly. With a few sad goodbyes, we were off to the airport. Our only regret with this trip was not getting the contact information of the new friends we met while in Costa Rica so we could keep in touch. However, we will most certainly be returning to the Westin. Truly Pura Vida.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear themarine1371,
Thank you very much for all your kind comments.
We're so glad that you had a great time with us and enjoyed our facilities, services, food and our beautiful country, Costa Rica.
We hope you can back to visit us again soon, we will be waiting for you.
Warm regards and pura vida,

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was the first stop on our honeymoon in July 2013, and it was the perfect spot to relax and recharge after the wedding chaos. The resort is large but quiet, the rooms were spacious and comfortable, and the food was great (the Italian restaurant was our favorite). There's a good beach for lounging and walking (~1 mile in length), but we spent most of our time by the Royal Beach Club pool (quieter than the larger pool and closer to our room). For when we wanted to get a little exercise, there was also plenty of space around the resort to go for a walk/hike/jog. Service throughout the hotel was great - everyone was eager to help and always quick to greet us with a smile. Overall, we had a great experience and would definitely recommend it to other couples traveling!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Colin B,
Thank you very much for choosing us for your honeymoon and share your experience with us.
We're very glad to know that you had a great time in our resort and enjoyed our facilities, service and food. We will love to have you back.
Hope to see you soon again.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I chose this resort for our honeymoon and really enjoyed ourselves. We went from March 24-30.
As soon as we got there we had to wait a while to get into our room, but soon learned that we were upgraded to the adult only area which we are SO thankful for since the other part of the resort turned out to be packed with college kids. It was spring break and you could tell. The adult only area was amazing because there was only about 5 other couples at the pool, ever. It was so quiet!
The beach was just ok, but we didnt mind because we dont really love spending time on the beach anyways- but if you think youll spend a lot of time on the beach, i would say this isnt for you. It was public so there were a lot of local college kids taking over the place, playing music and driving four wheelers around- it wasnt resorty at all. But that didnt bother us because we avoided it.
The service at the resort was wonderful! I really believe that is what made our experience memorable. The food itself was just ok, but like I said, the people there really make the difference in your experience.
I was surprised we didnt arrive to see anything particularly special about our room... No champagne or strawberries or towel animals, but it didnt bother us that much.
We tried the Latin, Italian, French, and Mediterranean restaurants and the buffet while we were there. By far the French restaurant at the lobby was the best. I wish we went there every night. It felt so different than the rest of the restaurants. Watching the sunset from up there was gorgeous! When you first arrive to the lobby you see the restaurant and dont think its anything special, but it really turns into a lovely dinner spot at night. So glad we tried it!
For lunch we tried both places but liked the pizza place WAY more.
For night life, I suggest going to the beach or night swimming. The entertainment was bad. We also did a wine tasting, and though fun with the other people, our leader definitely wasn't professional and knowledgable.
We went on excursions with Eriks people as others requested- and he was super easy to find on the beach- but they honestly may have been my least favorite parts of the trip. The ziplining was definitely a let down because it was such a huge group- we would wait in line for 10 minutes and get on the zipline for 10 seconds, then wait again, and again, and again. It wasnt all that exciting. So I dont recommend that.
We also visited the mudbaths and hiked through the rainforest, but since the time we went was dry season, i felt like we were driving through a lot more dusty roads and not nearly as lush as i though costa rica would be. (not their fault at all- but consider going in a time other than march if you want tropical green costa rica) My favorite part of that trip was the waterfall- it was only a pitstop along the 2 hour drive and we only stayed for 10 minutes, but I think thats what made that trip memorable. We went with 2 other couples and enjoyed ourselves.... But again, it didnt live up to our expectations of lush, tropical rainforest experience.... The mudbaths were a big let down because the sulfur smell at the location is horrible and didnt come out of our clothes for weeks! It was 'fun', but in a smelly, mess, crazy way.... not a honeymoon, romantic way.
Eriks wife's massage on the beach was amazing. My husband and I both fell asleep during the massages! (I was fearful someone on the beach would run by and grab our bags though, so when you go for a massage, dont bring anything but cash with you.)

We ended our trip really impressed by the staff at the hotel and thankful for the memories....But as soon as we got off the plane I got really, really sick. And one day later my husband did too. I was sick for 10 days with some kind of bug that made me stay in bed all day and wouldnt let me eat ANYTHING but chicken broth- it made for a really depressing first week of marriage... And later that week I got an email from one of the couples on the rainforest excursion. They both had the same sickness lasting 2 weeks! We dont know what it was from, (whether the resort or the excursion food or water) but we really dont recommend getting this bug!! I assume since we both went on the excursion, that it was the excursion.

So, in a summary:
The service was excellent- outstanding!
The night life was boring.
The resort & room was beautiful.
The food was great- and our favorite was the french, lobby restaurant. The italian was my least favorite (though normally italian is what i eat daily)
We were disappointed with both excursions (though Eriks people were really wonderful)
The massages on the beach were awesome.
Dont drink water other than out of bottled water if you can. Not sure the cause of our sickness, but if you can avoid it, you should try.

If we did it again I wish we would have skipped the excursions and just enjoyed the hotel. We would save our excursion money for more beach massages! We would eat at the french restaurant more! (and spend less time trying all the other places just out of curiosity) We would also use the saved money to sit under a canopy by the pool in the shade. We would drink more pina coladas and wine.
Hope this was helpful!

Room Tip: The adult only area is worth it if you know you are going during a busy time (like spring break...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear RyandDrew,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
We're glad to know that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us, thanks for choosing us, also we are happy that you enjoyed the Up Grade to Royal Beach Club, the facilities and service, we're sorry about the missing towel animals and special amenities, probably we didn't get the information that you were on your honeymoon. So nice to know that you enjoyed the french restaurant, the view from there to admire the sunset is just amazing and very romantic.
About the beach, all the beaches in Costa Rica are public by law. We're sorry to hear that your friends get sick on the excursion, hope they feel better now.
Hope you can visit us again soon, to celebrate together.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is a great example of the best of the all inclusive concept, the resort is beautiful with a great beach front, wonderful pool, tons of nature, golf course, and all amenities but when concern about the Food and Beverage this hotel does a fantastic job, excellent food, plenty of options. The friendliness and service of it's staff is amazing. The entire resort is very clean and well kept. There are lots of activities every day for all ages. We had a wonderful time there and hope to return soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Daniela G,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
We're happy to know that you had a great vacations with us and enjoyed the service, the food, facilities and nature & wildlife.
We will be waiting for your next visit.

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Huge territory, excellent service, several a-la-carte restaurants and buffet.Royal Beach Club with a separate pool with no kids allowed. a big pool and a sandy beach. Nive quiet rooms, a good place for both cauples and families.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sektor1979,
Thank you very much for your comments.
We're happy to know that you had a great vacations in our resort.
Hope you can back to visit us again soon!
Warm regards from Costa Rica,

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I were wanting a getaway, and this has been a PERFECT place! The Royal Beach Club allows you to have access to couple's only Royal Beach Club pool. You are assigned a concierge/butler if you reserve in the Royal Beach Club and no attention to detail is overlooked. They have brought a bottle of champagne to our room each night, the rooms/junior suites are very spacious. The resort is large, but everything is in walking distance, if not there are free shuttles. Right outside the resort is the beach (not that you want to leave!) but I LOVE the beach! There are local vendors Eric is the guy to talk to for reserving excursions such as white water rafting, zip lines, massages on the beach 1 hour $15-$20! amazing! The exotic margaritas at the bar are also fabulous! There are little bungalows at the pools to sit at and relax, a 5 star piece of land for sure! GORGEOUS! Playa Conchal does not disappoint, the food is also FABULOUS! It is all inclusive and room service 24hrs is FREE! Everything is clean and well planned, there are endless possibilities! Hurry up and book today you won't regret it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear pleasanttraveler,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and recommend us.
We're very happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us, our facilities, service, the Royal Beach Club, the food and, of course, the beautiful playa Conchal.
We are looking forward your next visit.

PR Manager

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!