“Very Relaxing Honeymoon Spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Save Saved
You added The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal to your Saves list
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
“Very Relaxing Honeymoon Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I visited the Westin in February for 5 nights on the second leg of our honeymoon. The first place we stayed was very small and remote,very hard to get to. So we were looking forward to the Westin to relax and have everything taken care of for us. We were upgraded to the royal beach club which was great. We would have been fine not being upgraded but the pool was great, service as well. Make sure you request your drinks with the name brand alcohol of your choice. The room was great WiFI worked the entire time in the room. Our Concierge Bergin made our reservations the first night and we were able to eat at every restaurant. We enjoyed them all the french and Mediterranean were the best but all were good. I really do not see where most of the complaints come from. We were willing to eat our dinners later at night and had no trouble with reservations. i would recommend doing it that way because there is little or nothing to do after dinner here.

We barely used the cart services only to get to the lobby most times. The grounds are great and everywhere is walkable very easily including the beach. The beach I thought was fantastic I do not know where the complaints come from on this site honestly it was great and completely empty. We were not bothered at all by the vendors, they are at the gate if you walk 30 yards to your left you pretty much have a wide open beautiful beach to yourself.

We did one excursion through our travel company and one through Erik on the beach. Both were great. The lazy lizard catamaran through Erik was fantastic one of the highlights of our 10 days in CR. The crew was great, very fun, Dolphins swimming under the catmaran and all around it in the sunset. I would make sure you have cash to pay Erik with, the credit card machine on the beach was a bit "iffy" when it would not work he agreed to let us go on the cruise and bring him cash the next day. I also would not count on the ATM at the Westin as it only worked once while we were there. When we could not access cash Erik actually let me take an ATV into Brasillito (1/2 mile down the beach) to an ATM. Quite an experience. All in all the Westin was great would definitely go back.....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Derek D,
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We are glad that you enjoyed the resort, the food, the royal beach area and the beautiful beach Conchal.
Hope to see you and your wife again with us pretty soon!

PR Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (852)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The resort and staff are very nice and will drop what they are doing to help you. The room was beautiful but king beds are hard to come by. I got sick with a stomach virus (so they say) and many others did too. The doctor at the westin has no idea how to properly insert an IV and used the biggest needle to do so. It hurt for duration of my two hour stay in the office. Completely ruined my trip for 4 days. Doesn't seem like they use chlorine for the pool either.

• Stayed April 2013
WPCManagement, Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Rulb04,

Thank you for sharing these lines on your recent stay at our resort. We are glad to know that you appreciated our facilities, our ample rooms and kind staff.

At The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, the safety, security and well-being of guests and associates are our paramount priority to us. It has come to our attention that some guests in the surrounding area and at our hotel have fallen ill. We are investigating the cause and in the abundance of caution, we are taking prudent steps throughout all of the hotel’s operations to provide a safe and healthful environment.

This matter is of utmost importance and we are taking it very seriously. Do not hesitate to contact me for further input.

Allow me to clarify that we indeed use chlorine at our pools, following international standards. Moreover and aligned to both Costa Rica’s legislation and Westin Hotels & Resorts policies, we perform monthly laboratory tests of our pool water, which has not shown any discrepancy to established sanitary benchmarks.

Victor Gomez
Hotel Manager
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great hotel. Restaurants were good. Good see Erik Morales for the excursions. Very reasonable price for everything. Nightlife was slow though.i would recommend the sushi/ Thai, Mediterranean. Did not care for the Italian restaurant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear nitk48,
Thank you so much for your kind comments, our chefs will be happy to read your review.
We are glad that you enjoyed our resort and restaurants, hope you can back to visit us again.
Best regards,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

we traveled to the westin 3rd week in april.. today is may 7th and im now one my 3rd prescribtion because my doctor said i must have picked up a bug there. upon my arrival all was well we meet eric who i say is the best sales man in the world we were able to keep one trip with him, which was fantastic. the other 5 days there my husband and i were very sick in bed not a way to spend a vacation. the first day there we went swimming in there pool which was about 85 degrees i could not see the bottom and smelled no clorine. later that week my husband went down there and the pool bar was closed why do you ask because of sewer back up! i do not recomend this resort of the 210 people in our group 176 were sick. i beleive the westen knew what was going on at least the people that stayed a few weeks later got a notice of people being sick but perhaps the resort should had notified the guests after us that there was a problem because many of us called the front desk and we were told that it was a flu bug going around and the other resorts also were having the same problem.i should have questioned them about this but i did not think they woulld lie to me my next question was CDC notified of all our sickness? beware stay away from this resort customer service is not there number one concern

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tinavh,

The safety, security and well-being of guests and associates are our paramount priority at The Westin Playa Conchal. It has come to our attention that some guests in the surrounding area and at our hotel have fallen ill. We are investigating the cause and in the abundance of caution, we are taking prudent steps throughout all of the hotel’s operations to provide a safe and healthful environment.

Victor Gomez
Hotel Manager
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was our second stop in our Honeymoon trip to CR. We first stayed at Nayara in Arenal, which I have posted a review for. Please check it out. This is a massive resort! be prepared to do a little walking from place to place; ie. gym, main pool, restauraunts, shopping. There are shuttles coming around 24-7, but we still chose to walk. The royal beach club is a necessity at this resort if you want tip top service. I would like to give a shoutout to Jonathon who made our stay exponentially better at the westin. Gracias, desde el fondo de mi corazón. Staying here gives you exclusive access to Faisanelli (the italian restaraunt and one of the best for dinner) during breakfast and lunch which we found very convenient. Also, there is an exclusive private saline pool which is very quiet and peaceful with RBC. Free roomservice is also a part of the all-inclusive wristband through the RBC.

We found Cauri (French) and Faisanelli (Italian) to be our two favorite restaraunts. If they are booked, you cannot go wrong with Mitra the main buffet and bar. Excellent food at all of these places. We found the service to be the best at Mitra (the main buffet).

A side note: Shout out to Eric Garcia, an event planner that works directly outside of the hotel grounds as soon as you enter the beach. Thank you so much for helping us plan a river safari adventure where we got to see white-faced capuchin monkeys, crocidiles, and all kinds of other birds! the guide was very informative and educated us about the sugar-cane plantations troughout CR, Guanacaste. This was just one of the many many adventure that we went on during our stay. His wife, GIGI has a massage tent that gave us a 70 minute massage for $30 a piece! what a value! it really beats the $150 the resort charges for their professionals. Plus, it was nice to hear the waves crashing behind us while we were pampered.
The resort makes it very apparent the these vendors, such as Eric, do not work for the hotel nor do they carry the same insurance, and gauruntees. But, we can assure you that the events he set us up with were a great value, and very safe. Thank you Eric for making our trip much more exciting.

Room Tip: As stated before, we stayed at the Royal beach Club. Rooms there are tip top. Although we werent i...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BirdDaddy,
Thank you so much for your comments!
So great to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us, our facilities and the restaurants.
We hope to see you again in your anniversary!

Somerset, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Honestly this hotel was amazing! I never write reviews, but I had to for this one. We recently came back from a week long trip and I can't wait to go back. The hotel was clean, the staff was superb and the rooms were awesome. I woke up every morning, looked out on our porch and had a beautiful view of the river and sunbathing iguanas. They made my day! Of course you need to see Erik Garcia on the beach for any excursions that you're planning. He truly gives you the best price around. Trust me... I did my research! Definitely take a surfing lesson with the Point Break Surf School! Probably one of the most amazing experiences of the trip! All in all, this resort was one of the best I've been to. I can't wait to return in the future!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Dmy524,
Thank you so much for your kind comments, we are very happy that you enjoyed the resort and the wildlife!
We will love to have you again with us, hope you next visit soon!

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

First things first - if people have complaints about this resort, they must be ridiculously picky. My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon, and we had an absolutely amazing time. I'm normally not one to write reviews for places, but The Westin deserves it.

Arrival: I was in contact with the staff via email before our trip and they were SO helpful. They upgraded us to the Royal Beach Club and had a dinner reservation made for us for our first night. We entered our room to find chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine. Our daytime concierge, John, knew our names after us telling him once. He had dinner reservations made for our entire stay within an hour of us being there.

Room: We were in RBC Tower 2, Room 2201. Awesome rainfall shower head, big bathroom, king size bed, balcony looked out onto the walking path (trees, animals, flowers, etc.). RBC gets premium liquors in the mini-fridge, refilled every day. I've seen people on here complain about room service being slow - yes, it generally took 30-40 minutes, but I don't think that's unreasonable to have your food cooked and delivered to you!

Staff: From the moment we arrived, the staff was amazing. Shout-outs to John and Bergin (our concierges at the RBC) and David at the pool. These guys made our stay AMAZING. Always friendly, always helpful, always attentive. Bergin even surprised us one night with champagne, flowers, candles, bubble bath. Every morning, there were guys cleaning out the pool by hand.

Food: We tried all the restaurants, and our favorites were Bamboo (asian fusion) and Las Candelas (latin). Of course, there were things we tried that we didn't love, but all around the food was fantastic. If you stay at the RBC, do yourself a favor and go to Faisanella for the buffet breakfast. It's fantastic. (Breakfast and lunch at Faisanella only available to those staying at RBC).

Excursions: You've read it on all the other reviews here, and it's true - Erik Garcia on the beach is the man to see for excursions. We did the horseback riding/ziplining and Rincon de la Vieja volcano tour with Carlos and it was awesome. Did the catamaran sunset snorkeling cruise through Lazy Lizard (arranged through Erik) and had a blast. Drinks, food, fish, beautiful sunset. Did the river cruise the last day of our stay and saw monkeys, crocs, birds, etc. Erik also sent us to his wife, Gigi, who gives massages right on the beach. Husband and I each got hour long massages for $20!

Overall: Amazing trip. I read Trip Advisor reviews for months before our stay, so I hope that this review will help those of you doing the same thing I did. We couldn't have asked for more for our honeymoon. It was so hard to come back home. Thanks to The Westin for making our stay unforgettable!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Royal Beach Club. Concierge, adult-only pool with drink and food service right at yo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dana Z,
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us, we really appreciate it.
We are happy that you and your husband had a great time with us! All our staff is committed to providing to our guests pleasant experiences, and this kind of reviews are our best reward.
Hope you can visit us again soon.
Warm regards and pura vida!

PR Manager

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!